Tournaments are corrupted by ambushes

Options
This morning i was playing a lightning round, i've only encountered ambush teams (lvl 1-5 opponents), 6 in a row.
I don't really mind as this tournaments are **** and i'm only here to win some cheap iso, but something must be done to counter such cheap gameplay.
Someone should only fight people of their rank, no more, no less. Retaliation is totally broken and is by no means a way to bring back lost ranks.

Perhaps devs should work better on these killing flaws than failing in bringing false diversity in this game.

Comments

• Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Those are probably seed teams.

(Though I have a hard time figuring out what you're saying, exactly.)
  • Nemek wrote:
    Those are probably seed teams.

(Though I have a hard time figuring out what you're saying, exactly.)

Players who play with dull teams at first to grab more points when they'll play in retaliation. I don't know the nickname the community has given to them. ^ ^
  • Those are probably players "tanking", which is a way of gaming the system.

So in an event you don't really care about the rewards, you climb up to some decent amount of points and then switch to a weak team and yield-retire on some matches. That causes their weak team to get obliterated by other people teams, and in the next environment they are matched against weak opponents as their matchmaking went low, then they switch again to the pro team and crush all opponents to the top.

I believe they have tried to put some sort of measure to stop this, but people keep doing it so it must still work somehow.

So yes, the game is/was designed in a way that it is better sometimes to LOSE the game on purpose, even on PvE events like Thick as Thieves. A bit weird if you ask me, but there it is.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Why dont you just not attack those teams? You can see everyones roster now, so its pretty simple to know when their team is a trap...
  • At the beginning of every tournament, there are bots generated by the game to fill in as opponents since there hasn't been enough players entering the tournament to give you any kind of reasonable matchup. They've fairly well known names like BaconMagic, Kicksthatkick, Pyromantic, and of course the mighty BattleAngel who always has a high level featured character of every tournament in existence. If you click on their profile, you'll see that they do not actually exist. They're great opponents to beat up for some quick iso8 before the real ones show up. Think of it as a bonus for participating early, though of course participating early can land you in a tough bracket too. That said on LR since there's only one bracket there's never any harm to beat those freebie guys up as fast as you can. Just don't even think about messing with BattleAngel.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    At the beginning of every tournament, there are bots generated by the game to fill in as opponents since there hasn't been enough players entering the tournament to give you any kind of reasonable matchup. They've fairly well known names like BaconMagic, Kicksthatkick, Pyromantic, and of course the mighty BattleAngel who always has a high level featured character of every tournament in existence. If you click on their profile, you'll see that they do not actually exist. They're great opponents to beat up for some quick iso8 before the real ones show up. Think of it as a bonus for participating early, though of course participating early can land you in a tough bracket too. That said on LR since there's only one bracket there's never any harm to beat those freebie guys up as fast as you can. Just don't even think about messing with BattleAngel.

After joining the forum, I suddenly realised that I was disappointed that there's no bot called "t1nyk1tty"
  • Players who play with dull teams at first to grab more points when they'll play in retaliation.
    They might actually be trying to do you a favor. I often play a few lightning rounds for ISO and the first progression rewards, then switch in the bag man team to donate my points to whoever wants them. Reasoning is that I'm not strong enough to win the diabolic or heroic token, so it doesn't really hurt to make life easier for the other players.