With the upcoming iso leveling changes, level now or wait

Options
JD Geek
JD Geek Posts: 80
edited April 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Just what it says. Do I dump ISO into people now, or wait a week?

Comments

• JD Geek wrote:
    Just what it says. Do I dump ISO into people now, or wait a week?

If it will seriously benefit your performance/enjoyment now, level now. If you can wait with no worries, wait.
  • If I read it right low lvl will be cheaper getting more expensive in higher levels so pretty much same iso
  • cletus1985
    cletus1985 Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Arith wrote:
    If I read it right low lvl will be cheaper getting more expensive in higher levels so pretty much same iso

No, that was addressed and either Will or Miles stated that no levels would increase in cost.
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Arith wrote:
    If I read it right low lvl will be cheaper getting more expensive in higher levels so pretty much same iso

The post was edited for more precision. The overall cost of leveling will clearly be lower.
    Finally, we’re making some changes in level-up costs for 3-Star and 4-Star characters. In order to help players get their 3-Star and 4-Star characters into a useful state more quickly, we’re making it cheaper to level them up at lower levels. We don’t have final numbers at the moment, so stay tuned.

This change will not change the levels of any existing characters, but they will immediately become cheaper to level up.

EDIT - The total amount needed to level up 3-star and 4-star characters is decreasing. This will not change the current level of the character, but the cost to level up will be less than or equal to what it was before.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If the cost of levelling would be lower, how come characters won't gain levels?
    Throwing numbers out there, if it took 100,000 ISO to reach level 100 and I've put in 50,000 and reached level 50...if it drops to 80,000 ISO to reach level 100, surely my guy should go from level 50 to level...err...more.

Dammit, I can't maths tonight.

This isn't even me demanding anything here, I'm just wondering why the game doesn't account for it. It it simply works on what level my current character is, what if I've got 800/1000 paid into a character's current level when the level changes? Will it still be 800 paid in? What if the new cost for that level becomes 700, will I gain a level and have 100 paid into the next one? Will the progress reset? Will I simply gain a level?
  • XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Throwing numbers out there, if it took 100,000 ISO to reach level 100 and I've put in 50,000 and reached level 50...if it drops to 80,000 ISO to reach level 100, surely my guy should go from level 50 to level...err...more.

This isn't even me demanding anything here, I'm just wondering why the game doesn't account for it. It it simply works on what level my current character is, what if I've got 800/1000 paid into a character's current level when the level changes? Will it still be 800 paid in? What if the new cost for that level becomes 700, will I gain a level and have 100 paid into the next one? Will the progress reset? Will I simply gain a level?

It looks like the game treats you as having 0 EXP right when you level. Instead of going from 0-1000 = level 1, 1000-3000 = level 2, etc. it's a 0-[required] every level.

Someone on the development team could probably script something based on level and * rating to refund iso, but that sounds like a bit of work and would have the side effect of giving some players a huge amount of spendable iso. I'm sure there are some ramifications to that, and the people in charge probably either want to avoid them or avoid thinking about them.

Though they could probably get away with a bit of sloppy math to save time and effort, and it would result in less ISO being refunded, so... who knows. Hopefully the first part of my post at least addresses one of your questions.
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options
    This change will not change the levels of any existing characters, but they will immediately become cheaper to level up.

I know it would be nice to automatically gain some levels after the update or to have some iso refund, but they made it clear that the current levels of the characters won't be modified. Consider that this is the price in iso of a level that will be modified. The levels that you have bought are bought, no change. The future levels will be less expensive
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Instead of decreasing the cost of some levels, why not just double the amount of ISO rewarded?
  • TaoSpoons
    TaoSpoons Posts: 50
    Options
    Moon Roach wrote:
    Instead of decreasing the cost of some levels, why not just double the amount of ISO rewarded?

Math and programming reasons, is my bet.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Moon Roach wrote:
    Everything is the game is non-linear. Think: effort vs. reward. They want get make getting into the game easy, but also make completing the game near impossible. That way, you and me get have some chance at competing with each other even though I only get to play 1/10 of the time that you do.

If you earn enough ISO-8 to max a 3* every 2 weeks, then you might be upset if they doubled the number of 3* characters (like Colog is), because that means you can only max one of the two characters. The other character will sit at base level forever. But because leveling your character is non-linear, you could alternatively bring up both characters to 2/3 max level for the same amount of ISO-8. My guess is that the new ISO-8 costs will let you bring 2 characters to ~4/5 max level for the same cost of maxing one character. That means completing characters will be as hard as ever, but you should also be able build a "playable" Roster more easily.

Doubling the ISO would allow you get twice the number of maxed characters every 2 weeks while people who play less will have far fewer characters at far lower levels than you.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

It looks like the game treats you as having 0 EXP right when you level. Instead of going from 0-1000 = level 1, 1000-3000 = level 2, etc. it's a 0-[required] every level.

Someone on the development team could probably script something based on level and * rating to refund iso, but that sounds like a bit of work and would have the side effect of giving some players a huge amount of spendable iso. I'm sure there are some ramifications to that, and the people in charge probably either want to avoid them or avoid thinking about them.

Though they could probably get away with a bit of sloppy math to save time and effort, and it would result in less ISO being refunded, so... who knows. Hopefully the first part of my post at least addresses one of your questions.

I had a feeling it would be calculated on a level-by-level basis. I'm not a programmer, but it seems to me setting it up as an accumulated total would have been a better way of doing it because then things would change more naturally if you changed the requirements.

Then again, it might cause issues if suddenly the level 166 character I poured (again, making up numbers) 100,000 ISO into suddenly needed 80,000 ISO to max them out, so the computer reads my character as having 100,000/80,000 required to level.

Eh, guess there are no simple solutions in coding.