The 4* nerfs to xforce and 4or make sense

2»

Comments

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree with OP.

What did we honestly expect? There were 2 characters so blatantly overpowered that everyone had to have them just to compete. As it is, I have to use XF in every PvP just to burn 200+ HP to make Top 25. I'm kinda excited that I can try different characters and still have a decent chance to score in PvP.

I can find a way for X Force to be effective. He'll still create havoc when paired with color changers and Surgical Strike. XForce will still ruin anyone's tactics..you just can't murder your opponent in 4 moves anymore. Big deal. Downside is that lvl220 isn't going to cut it anymore. Gonna have to level him for higher health.

I'm actually looking forward to the IW buff. Will be nice to effectively use her now.

Here is the big thing I think you are missing. 4* are now just glorified overly expensive 3* especially with the new health buff. Xforce lost 2/3 of the initial damage he did with his green and that is the over Nerf. The sergical strike Nerf was absolutely appropriate and well done. For a 4* to be usefull they need to be maxed, so that means double the ISO, and double the Hp per cover, and the difference between the top 3* characters and top 4* is not that much. All that will happen is your scaling will go up by putting more and more ISO into 4*. As you said level 220 won't cut it. So a level 220 character that cost more ISO than any 3* will be worse than a 166 3* that cost you less to get to 166. Doesn't that just sound wrong? More resources, more cost, not as good?
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    dkffiv wrote:
    Mikaveus wrote:
    Raffoon wrote:
    So instead of gutting them both, they could have nerfed them slightly and buffed the other 4 stars. Problem solved.

So you make the whole 4* roster over powered as opposed to making the two over powered characters more in line with the rest of their group so all options are open?

Seems legit.

Isn't that exactly what they're trying to do with 3*s? By your logic they should gut LThor down to Beast/Rag tier so I can field Psylocke and Doc Oc against him. 2* rosters would have an easier time against him too.

Except you're talking about bringing one of a handful of really good characters down to the level of one or two poor characters.
    In the 4* roster there were 2 characters worth getting to level 270. In the 3* roster there are about 8-10 of them with 3 or 4 poorly designed ones and the rest are situational or just good.

Why on Earth would they nerf the good 3*s down to the level of the **** ones when they're not overpowered? Thoress and X-Force were hitting much harder than their peers. Bringing everyone else up to that level would mean every 4* was a nearly unstoppable powerhouse that a 3* could only beat if they were lucky.
  • Except you're talking about bringing one of a handful of really good characters down to the level of one or two poor characters.
    In the 4* roster there were 2 characters worth getting to level 270. In the 3* roster there are about 8-10 of them with 3 or 4 poorly designed ones and the rest are situational or just good.

Why on Earth would they nerf the good 3*s down to the level of the **** ones when they're not overpowered? Thoress and X-Force were hitting much harder than their peers. Bringing everyone else up to that level would mean every 4* was a nearly unstoppable powerhouse that a 3* could only beat if they were lucky.

Isn't this also true of 166 3* teams vs 94 2* teams already tho? How does a 2* roster handle Thor/Daken/Blade all at 166 or higher? Answer, be very lucky.

4*s can and should beat down 3* teams left and right. Otherwise the star tier system is meaningless. The devs have flat out said a 4* is about 160% the strength of a 3*. That means the best 4*s are 160% the strength of Thor and Patch (Thor and XF) and the worst 4*s are 160% the strength of Doc Ock (Elektra, old IW)

What character is XF now 160% the strength of? Cuz it sure ain't Patch. Hell, I'm not certain he's even better than Patch at all now, same for 4Thor and 3Thor. They certainly won't be better than these characters boosted to 280, that's for sure.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lerysh wrote:
    Except you're talking about bringing one of a handful of really good characters down to the level of one or two poor characters.

Isn't this also true of 166 3* teams vs 94 2* teams already tho? How does a 2* roster handle Thor/Daken/Blade all at 166 or higher? Answer, be very lucky.

4*s can and should beat down 3* teams left and right. Otherwise the star tier system is meaningless. The devs have flat out said a 4* is about 160% the strength of a 3*. That means the best 4*s are 160% the strength of Thor and Patch (Thor and XF) and the worst 4*s are 160% the strength of Doc Ock (Elektra, old IW)

What character is XF now 160% the strength of? Cuz it sure ain't Patch. Hell, I'm not certain he's even better than Patch at all now, same for 4Thor and 3Thor. They certainly won't be better than these characters boosted to 280, that's for sure.

Hm, I do tend to agree. But I think the problem is currently there's only a handful of 4*s and most people are on the building-up-a-3*-team stage. There are loads of 3*s to choose from but not many 4*s and 4*s are much harder to get and level. Sure they should be elite, but as it stood people got the one or two 4*s that would stomp on everyone and that's essentially all you saw in PvP.

The rich just get richer. I've had no chance to be number 1 in PvP ever. I can't get these 4* covers and start building a roster. Either I pay money or I wait for luck to strike.

2*s aim to reach the 3* level and there are tools in place now that make that possible. It's not overly difficult to win at least one 3* cover through PvE if you work enough. Even in PvP you can scrape a cover here and there. But for the 3* people you need to be exceptional in PvE to get a 4* cover even if it's a new one and you need to be the best at PvP...not sure how that's possible when PvP is always won by the guy with the 4* roster.

Personally I don't see Patch as having too heavy a nerf. I mean Surgical Strike's damage got buffed. Sure he doesn't have the ridiculous AP drain now, but all you need is 10 or so colours on a board to kill or cripple a character. Sure his green does less damage now but again his yellow does more if matched. He feels more re-balanced to me. Less over powered. Though I'll grant you Thoress got hit too hard with the nerf bat. (Think they took the padding off first).
    I think until they make obtaining 4*s easier and create a legitimate 3* - 4* transition, making 4*s uber powerful only penalises anyone below into staying where they are.