The new end game

So doomsday is here. As I'm watching from my office window in Montreal, I have come to the following conclusion:

The release of 4*s was rushed by the dev team.

They are now being nerfed back down to 3* tier/becoming usable like a 3*. There is no point in grinding out LR and PVE and PVP. All you need are 3* for this game. 4* are going to become shiny trophies that we will have in our roster page. A trophy that according to D3 is worth 20$/cover. With all these nerfs hitting the game, have you guys thought about bringing down the ISO cost to level a 4*? What about the HP cost to buy 4* covers.

I think the next step will be the introduction of TROPHY ROOMS where people will start storing their nerfed 4* characters just to show the rest of the player base they are true collectors. Something like The Collectors room.

I'm not mad at the fact that 4*s are being nerfed. I have an XForce at 4/4/1 where ive earned or pulled all covers. But it just sucks cause I no longer have anything to look forward to as I progress through the game. Hopefully all these changes are part of a bigger plan that we have yet to realize.

Comments

• udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you look at the distribution of characters, it's pretty easy to see (IMO) that the game was intended to be a 3 star.png game with 4s being the cherries on top that offered just a little extra. The game was meant to be played predominantly at the 3 star level. They just did a terrible job at maintaining that. In many ways. From powel level of 4s (too high and too low) to scarcity of covers to excessive cost to level them. I can't figure out now if they are trying to create a new 4 star game with all the 4 star releases or if they're trying to bring the 4s down to be glorified "rare" 3s. I'm leaning toward the latter.

4 star.png - 9
    3 star.png - 37
    2 star.png - 14
    1 star.png - 7

IMO - the problem isn't op 4s or nerfed 4s, or too little iso or too few covers or anything else but this: too little fun. No new story content. Inability to focus on any particular characters. No new game mechanics. Nothing. Hell, even candy crush adds new elements to the boards as you go along. I'm struggling to figure out why i'm still playing at this point. All I can come up with is that i'm not a quitter. I've put too much time into trying to get to the "fun" part. icon_lol.gif
  • I can't figure out now if they are trying to create a new 4 star game with all the 4 star releases or if they're trying to bring the 4s down to be glorified "rare" 3s. I'm leaning toward the latter.

This is exactly what I think is happening. We've been crying out for more balance.

The 4*s are going to become those trophy characters that have just a little bit more edge over a 3* but not always (esp. in light of random event buffs) and are more for show than anything.

Sure you may have XF, Kingpin, 4Thor, what have you, but they may not all play well together and given that the gameplay seems to be in favor of using more characters in more combinations, I see the playingfield leveling out. The whales will always continue to buy cover packs and HP and everyone wins.

I think someone else said it in another post; the veterans may whine but at the end of the day adapt and move on. It will be "funner" for everyone in the long run.
  • udonomefoo wrote:
    IMO - the problem isn't op 4s or nerfed 4s, or too little iso or too few covers or anything else but this: too little fun. No new story content. Inability to focus on any particular characters. No new game mechanics. Nothing. Hell, even candy crush adds new elements to the boards as you go along. I'm struggling to figure out why i'm still playing at this point.
    Unfortunately I have to agree, at this point game offers nothing for older players. PVE was never fun and now new MMR killed PVP, 4*chars are jokes not worth fighting over.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2015
    udonomefoo wrote:
    If you look at the distribution of characters, it's pretty easy to see (IMO) that the game was intended to be a 3 star.png game with 4s being the cherries on top that offered just a little extra.
    You can also just look at the original 4* characters (X-Force and IW). They were just trophies. I don't think the Devs knew exactly what a 4* character should be in the beginning, because the game hadn't proved its longevity yet.

After some time, they decided to make the 4*'s tier a part of the natural progression. My guess is that this experiment hasn't worked exactly the way they hoped. It probably has to do with player turn over.

New players are needed to replace old players, but the 4* tier just intimidates new players. No one begins a video game expecting to play It for a year, but that is what the 4* rarity requires to achieve. In the meantime, vets got their "sense of progression" (which they like), but that just amounts to trivial matches for them and impossible retaliations for new players. If anything, 4* characters discourage new players from continuing to the 3* tier (where the money used to be).

Ultra-rare 4* characters that play at least as well as 3* characters is the new compromise.

My guess, that's all.
  • RWTDBurn
    RWTDBurn Posts: 291
    edited April 2015
    udonomefoo wrote:
    If you look at the distribution of characters, it's pretty easy to see (IMO) that the game was intended to be a 3 star.png game with 4s being the cherries on top that offered just a little extra. The game was meant to be played predominantly at the 3 star level. They just did a terrible job at maintaining that. In many ways. From powel level of 4s (too high and too low) to scarcity of covers to excessive cost to level them. I can't figure out now if they are trying to create a new 4 star game with all the 4 star releases or if they're trying to bring the 4s down to be glorified "rare" 3s. I'm leaning toward the latter.

4 star.png - 9
    3 star.png - 37
    2 star.png - 14
    1 star.png - 7

Go back and look at the characters release over the past 6 months and that paints a very different picture. We are getting more and more 4* releases each month with no new 1* or 2* in sight. I think you are right though in that they were probably trying to introduce the next power level then realized (or falsely believed) that it damaged the game balance so they are now scaling them back to near 3* levels. If they nerf Xforce, and all 4*s will just be extremely overprice 3* then that will remove most of the motivation to play this game once you have a solid 3* roster. I mean, even if they release a 4* that kicks **** then who in their right mind would want put actual money into it. They'll just turn around and nerf him later one.
  • There's a 2* coming. Maybe not soon, with all the Ultron stuff being released, but after that we should see a new 2*.

The game doesn't really need any new 1*s or 2*s, there are enough for variety as you make the 3* transition. After that they aren't so much the useful. I still have a level 15 Jonny Storm on my roster that will never get any ISO, so what's the point of having him?
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Lerysh wrote:
    There's a 2* coming. Maybe not soon, with all the Ultron stuff being released, but after that we should see a new 2*.

The game doesn't really need any new 1*s or 2*s, there are enough for variety as you make the 3* transition. After that they aren't so much the useful. I still have a level 15 Jonny Storm on my roster that will never get any ISO, so what's the point of having him?
    If I were a new player, I'd be very excited about 2* icon_cyclops.png. I don't know why I like him so much, but I'd want him over 2* icon_humantorch.png. Fan favorite 2*s might actually get a cover purchase now and then.