Bored so i want to ask the Vets a question

slidecage
slidecage Posts: 3,364 Chairperson of the Boards
edited April 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
If you have most or not all of your 3 stars close to max why are you even playing PVP it would seem like a waste of time in a way. Say if you have 5 of each color in a pvp why take the covers from others who need them. then again the PVE is even a bigger waste of time. Then again why is anyone even playing anymore icon_e_smile.gif

Only reason i could see is getting free 10 packs for season but then again your just going to draw 3 stars and you dont need them.

Comments

• JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Because the normal release schedule is 2-3 characters a season and right now we're on 4 1/3 in 5 weeks with more characters coming before season's end.

And also because we can.
  • slidecage
    Because the normal release schedule is 2-3 characters a season and right now we're on 4 1/3 in 5 weeks with more characters coming before season's end.

And also because we can.

how about the people you already have maxed? is it as boring as i think it would be. Then again i forgot you do earn 100HP what you always need for all the new freaking people coming out.

i know im going to be bored as hell playing tomorrow for daredevil covers (since got max) and its against HULK BLAH
  • Druss
    Druss Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    Mainly an alliance thing I suppose.

Competition within Alliance & with other top Alliances is quite fierce - most of the "vets" know each other as shared Alliances in the past, Merc-ing etc.

If you still enjoy playing the game there isn't much choice but to play PvP or PvE - DDQ whilst a nice new addition only takes 15 mins or so.

I can understand your frustration however, but the same thing is prevalent throughout the game - the top slots for 4* that many vets still need are always taken by the guys who usually have 2 maxed copies anyway.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not a vet but reasons I can think of
    New characters
    and season rank

If you skip an old character you sacrifice your season rank
  • I've got 2 4* maxed, 19 3* maxed. Every 3* character fully covered except Squirrel Girl and Kamala (and Rags is missing a blue, but...he's terrible)

But... I don't have every character maxed, so ISO is always welcome.
    12 good fully covered 3* still need ISO. A few more who aren't very good that could use it if I wanted to max everyone. And that doesn't touch the 4* who could use ISO as well.
    I'm up to nearly 1 million in ISO...but that wouldn't actually max everyone even if I wanted to. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

So if a given pvp event nets me about 10k+ iso, that's a good thing.

Also, as JM said - it's fun. Or, was more fun, but is still a little fun.
  • Alliances & Seasons force the need to maintain a season score to collect an easy 4 star cover for top 100 placement.

Progression rewards in pvp are sometimes the only motivator for high scores.

Vets build up their roster in order to use them. Pvp is where most time is spent once you've developped your roster.
  • slidecage
    Red Panda wrote:
    Alliances & Seasons force the need to maintain a season score to collect an easy 4 star cover for top 100 placement.

Progression rewards in pvp are sometimes the only motivator for high scores.

Vets build up their roster in order to use them. Pvp is where most time is spent once you've developped your roster.

guess so never looked at Season Alliance totals cause never in a top 100 team icon_e_smile.gif
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    edited April 2015
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    The competition. Everyone wants to beat up on everybody, the covers really don't matter once your in a top 25 alliance. At that level, you've already got your favorite goto teams cover and level maxed. Even if you gave someone in a top 10 alliance 13 kingpins and 270 levels, I have a hard time believing that they would run that char as their std goto char. The funnest matches I've ever been involved in are the intra-alliance Lighting rounds. Everyone starts with the same level loaner, and see who can get the highest ranking in 90 min. Its actually much much harder than you think.
  • One because I still enjoy playing the game as a game, could put it away when I don't need the rewards but kinda having fun in hulk for rewards I don't need its a challenge to say the least and trying for progressions has me in the top 5 currently, though I will use one of those blue DD's Also iso/hp/tokens don't come to those who skip events. And there is no other reliable way to get 4*s except to consistently do well in PVP.
  • bknfoodie
    bknfoodie Posts: 53
    slidecage wrote:
    If you have most or not all of your 3 stars close to max why are you even playing PVP it would seem like a waste of time in a way. Say if you have 5 of each color in a pvp why take the covers from others who need them. then again the PVE is even a bigger waste of time. Then again why is anyone even playing anymore icon_e_smile.gif

Only reason i could see is getting free 10 packs for season but then again your just going to draw 3 stars and you dont need them.

I have given up T1 or T5 to players that need covers that I don't need. This is forgoing 0-50 points which is negligible for the season. No way I would let go of 300 points just so someone can sneak into T100.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm over a year with a 5/5/2 X-force and a handful of 166's now, I guess that puts me in vet status.

Once I took that X-force over 200, my scaling got ridiculous in PVE. Like, I have to run X-force in almost every PVE node as well as every time in PVP now, so I've given up on PVE for health-pack and time reasons. Also, after a year of running the same PVE events OVER and OVER and OVER you won't want to play them ever again either.

PVP is where vets can improve their 4* roster by hitting 1K, that's why they play I'd say. I don't shield hop, so I've never hit that progression: I jumped into PVP initially due to seasons so I had a chance to get 4*'s. I play PVP today because instead of running an event for a week for a cover (PVE), I can run three events for a week for six covers: even after a year I probably need two of those six.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    1) Because playing the game is fun
    2) Because every player at every level of this game benefits from the HP and ISO placement rewards
    3) Alliance minimums/expectations
    4) Season score placement

Those are my reasons and the order I prioritize them.

So even if I wasn't in an alliance, didn't care about my season score AND didn't need HP or ISO...I'd still play a pvp just for the fun of casual competitive play.
  • I play PVP for ISO, HP, and the thrill of victory (especially grabbing a #1 finish with the last fight). And occasionally getting three useful covers, like the next PVP for KK.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't know if I qualify as a Vet since I turned down a few opportunities to join some high ranking PvP teams in the past. As for my own personal stance on the matter, if it's a card I don't need, I must likely won't care past 575 points. If it's a covee I do need, I will have to do some planning because I'm an Officer in an endgame group on Final Fantasy XIV. If that conflicts, MPQ loses out. Not really much to it than that. My main concern right now is honestly to just have 1 cover of any character I don't have for DPDQ and saving up HP to buy covers for characters I see myself using in the future.
  • D3P2K5
    D3P2K5 Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    Also want to add to all of the above, that those lovely 10 packs from progression and season placement is one of the best ways at a chance of pulling more 4* covers. Progression at 1000 points is also a 4* cover. And finally, PvE is a major time waster if you can make 1000 points in PvP.
  • NighteyesGrisu
    NighteyesGrisu Posts: 563 Critical Contributor
    babinro wrote:
    1) Because playing the game is fun
    2) Because every player at every level of this game benefits from the HP and ISO placement rewards
    3) Alliance minimums/expectations
    4) Season score placement

Those are my reasons and the order I prioritize them.

So even if I wasn't in an alliance, didn't care about my season score AND didn't need HP or ISO...I'd still play a pvp just for the fun of casual competitive play.

That pretty much pins it down for me.
  • rbdragon
    rbdragon Posts: 479 Mover and Shaker
    The only two reasons I play PVP at all are
    1) For my alliance
    2) If I need the covers

I much prefer PvE. I have a pretty decent 3 star.png roster, but my 4 star.png roster is severely lacking, so the only way I can compete in PvP at all is if the featured character is one of my maxed (especially now).

No matter what PvE event it is, unless you don't have the essential character, you can compete with just about any roster as long as you're willing to grind.
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    Reasons I PVP hard:
    1 - I need the 1k 4* progression prize
    2 - I need ISO to level the current 3* or 4* dominating the meta (so I can use him before they nerf him to mediocrity)
    3 - I want the t100 alliance 4* at season end

#3 is probably the biggest reason. For my alliance to be t100 at season end we probably need to be t100 in as many of the 10 season events as we possibly can be.
  • rednailz
    rednailz Posts: 559
    For alliance ranking sometimes progression rewards and of course if you have a maxed out player you're going to want to play with them...it's sort of the point. That being said sometimes it's a chore but pve is always a chore.