New to the game, Need a bit of direction

Options
Unknown
edited January 2014 in MPQ Tips and Guides
Hi gang, been playing for about a week aimlessly and need a bit of direction.

Here is my roster:
Level 33 Iron Man Model 35, 5/5/3,
Level 19 Black Widow, Modern 4/5
Level 18 Storm, Modern 5/5/1
Level 15 Iron Man, Model 40 0/0/1
Level 15 Loki, Dark Reign 0/1/0
Level 15 Magneto, Classic 0/1/0
Level 11 Black Widow, Original 2/1/0
Level 6 Hawkeye, Modern 3/3/1
Level 6 Thor, Marvel Now! 0/0/1

I typically run Iron Man 35/Black Widow Modern/Storm Modern

Unclaimed:
2 x Spider-Man Classic (Blue and orange cover)
2 x Spider-man, Bag man (Orange and Purple Cover)
1 x Captain America, Modern (Blue Cover)
1 x Daken, dark avengers (Grey Cover)

Currently focusing my attention on the Thick as Thieves event. Rank 10 at the moment (though probably not for long) and I have completed the Juggernaught Prologue and have only dont a few for Venom.

Here are my questions:

1. With the nerfs to Thor/Wolverine, should I just sell the Thor cover I have and use the slot for one of my unclaimed covers?
2. Is it worth doing the event? Or should I focus on the prologue missions?
3. What team should I be focusing on building towards?
4. As you progress from 1* teams to 2* to 3*, do you sell your old covers to make room? Or do you save them all? I am a non-IAP player so cover space has quickly become an issue. I spend all HP earned on Cover slots and nothing else.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• If you have any roster space at all, recruit Classic Spidey. 2 covers is a terrific start, and he'll probably still be useful after his nerf in a week or so(?). All HP should go to roster space and nothing else at this stage. If you have to dump to make room, dump... Storm or Modern BW, I'd guess, but you should be able to summon enough HP to buy slot #10 before Spidey disappears.

Gameplay-wise, you're basically a solid 1* tier who should be prepping to go to 2*. You have the beginnings with Thor and OBW, Hawkeye to maybe help you out (since you found so many covers for him). Look for 2*Wolvie in the Prologue, and meanwhile play every mission that gets you ISO and covers for Thor / OBW, and pump ISO into leveling them. Read the tips around here on playing tournies, and play as many as you can; the progression awards are worth it, and you can easily place in them and win more ISO on the side (and maybe even a random 2* cover if you're lucky).

To answer your questions:

1. Post-nerf, I think Thor and Wolvie are still solid. Keep Thor and look for Wolvie.
    2. Always do as much of the event as you can. Like tourneys, the progression rewards are worth the time IMO, even if you don't place.
    3. Thor / OBW, and Wolvie when you find him in Prologue. (If you're having rotten luck with covers, maybe level your Hawkeye some, but I say that as someone who never recruited him, and find him only somewhat useful in events.)
    4. You can sell old covers, but personally I only sold Classic Hawkeye. Esp. since you have only 9 slots; more slots are pretty cheap until you get up into 15-20, and even then, they're still manageable (you'll have more options for winning HP by then).

Good hunting...
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    1. With the nerfs to Thor/Wolverine, should I just sell the Thor cover I have and use the slot for one of my unclaimed covers?

Thorverine are both still high/top tier 2* characters after the nerf (they used to be mid-tier 3* quality before, now they're just top tier 2*), and are typically boosted/given out somewhat frequently during events, so I would keep Thor and work on them.

2. Is it worth doing the event? Or should I focus on the prologue missions?

Always do events over prologue, since the prologue will be waiting for you afterwards! PvE events are also the main source of iso in the game (I'm making ~7k per subevent), and can really accelerate your 2* roster growth if you're able to pick up heroic tokens. I'm surprised that you're rank 10: is this for a subevent or the main event? Are you doing tanking? Since your roster isn't deep enough to tank repeatedly, I would do each mission once to maximize iso gains (for the first complete bonus). For these pve events, focus on maximizing iso gains and heroic tokens.

3. What team should I be focusing on building towards?

The best 2* team before was Thor/Wolvie/Widow, and I'm not sure if this has changed even after the nerf. I would try to go after this team still while working on the 3* transition. I'm not sure if you have the covers to reliably farm up a 2* team yet though, so if you're having trouble, put some iso into m. black widow and m. storm. I think I had my im35/storm/widow at level 30 before i made the transition into 2*s. Don't expect much progress on your 3* covers until you get some solid 2*s.

4. As you progress from 1* teams to 2* to 3*, do you sell your old covers to make room? Or do you save them all? I am a non-IAP player so cover space has quickly become an issue. I spend all HP earned on Cover slots and nothing else.

I think I spent around 10 bucks on HP for cover slots so that I didn't have to throw away covers. Since you can't save them all, your best bet would be to recruit classic spidy (which is extremely solid) and get rid of either the loki cover or m. hawkeye. Even though loki is a 3*, he is extremely weak, and you aren't going to be able to use him for a very long time. You have a lot of covers for M. Hawkeye, but I am pretty biased against him as countdowns have historically been extremely unreliable. Out of the 2, I would probably trash loki since the m. hawkeye has a greater chance of being buffed in an event, and you can use him in a pinch if you can't get any of the better 2* covers. Consider the spidy a long term investment since even post nerf it should probably still remain a premier 3* character. I don't recommend getting rid of the im35/storm/widow covers as those will let you beat missions and transition into a 2* roster. The rest of your cached covers are expendible, so I would probably toss those before they expire (Daken being the more useful of the ones there, I guess).