PvP: Make initial seed teams worth more if you win quickly

Cymmina
Cymmina Posts: 413 Mover and Shaker
Everyone seems to be unhappy about matchmaking changes no matter what you do. The 2* players are upset about getting stomped on by 3* rosters, so you make it so that players only go up against rosters of similar strength. Now the 3* players are upset about having a more difficult grind through the lower progression awards. I think everyone can agree that a 3* player should place ahead of a 2* player (assuming they both put in a similar amount of effort), so why don't they get seeded that way?

What I am proposing is a change to the amount of points awarded by defeating the initial seed teams.

First we determine the average maximum score for a bracket of a particular age based on the past X number of events (3 sounds like a good number). This may need to be scaled against the max progression award value, which has changed over time.
MaxScore =
	24 hours = 1200
	12 hours = 1000
	 6 hours = 800
	 2 hours = 600

MaxProgression = 1000

Now we need to determine which is smaller: MaxScore or MaxProgression and divide that by 2. This will be the maximum score awarded for beating the 3 seed teams.
MaxSeed = min(MaxScore, MaxProgression) / 2

For our theoretical numbers with a max progression of 1000, MaxSeed will be this:
24 hours = 500
12 hours = 500
 6 hours = 400
 2 hours = 300

The MaxSeed value represents the maximum possible score you could get from defeating all 3 seed teams, but it's not a guarantee. How much you *actually* get depends on your performance against the seed teams. I don't know how well a bottom or top tier player usually performs against these, so I'm just going to throw out some theoretical numbers:
25 turns = BaseValue (I think that's around 75 points?  Whatever a bottom tier player can expect to get)
15 turns = BaseValue + floor((MaxSeed - BaseValue) / 2)
 5 turns = MaxSeed value (Whatever a top tier player can expect to get)

Anything inbetween those values would scale linearly.
24 hours (MaxSeed = 500)
--------
25 turns = 75
15 turns = 287
 5 turns = 500

6 hours (MaxSeed = 400)
-------
25 turns = 75
15 turns = 237
 5 turns = 400

2 hours (MaxSeed = 300)
-------
25 turns = 75
15 turns = 187
 5 turns = 300

This would alleviate the need for a top tier player to ever see a midtier player. They get a fair amount of points depending on how well they perform, which should put them in the same ballpark as similar tiered players. For a top tier player, reaching a score of 500 is not even a challenge, it's just a question of how many teams they have to crush along the way.

Comments

• Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    This is a thoughtful post that tries to address concerns of players across the board. This would give an incentive to early joiners, and would make the first few fights the equivalent of a time trial to position players appropriately based on their expected performance in the specific event.

The numbers would have to be watched carefully, though, as with only 3 seed matches, an early joiner with a maxed roster could be getting the equivalent of 166 points/match against very easy opponents.