You have got to be kidding me

warcin
warcin Posts: 118
edited April 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
After all the uproar over 2 new characters in a row you went and made it 3. Are you stupid or just don't care about this game anymore, even a little bit

Comments

• Actually its more like 4 and a half...

Prof X
    new remade Rag
    Kamala
    Kingpin
    Quicksilver

guess the devs finally realized that people arent spending money on useless boosts, health packs or even tokens which sometimes give you 3* or better cover - which you usually dont need anyway. The only thing people are spending money on in this game are roster slots... so why not keep releasing new hero every week ey?

As a player Iam concerner, as a business man, Iam not surprised at all....
  • warcin
    edited April 2015
    I gave them the benefit of the doubt on rags since it was not a new character and getting the new cover was essentially impossible , not that anyone wanted it. Either way I think I am done, I just can not keep this up and D3 obviously hates us all and has no intention of listening to thier players
  • dider152
    dider152 Posts: 263
    I'm mad too, but I think it's about advertising. Kamala Khan was because there is (I believe) a comic with her coming out.) Kingpin is because of the Netflix Daredevil series airing Friday. Quicksilver is because of the Avengers movie coming out soon. I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did this for a few more characters. I think they feel that if they do this they may attract more players. I can keep up for now (I would have been burned out a long time ago if the refresh rate was still 2.5 hours) and I set it so I won't start grinding for quicksilver until 20 hours from now, but I feel that this is detrimental to the overall game and I'm feeling a bit of resentment towards D3 that they didn't plan this out better. They could have shelved the previous characters they released and pushed these characters out first, instead of killing us with back to back characters.
  • Will you specifically said you guys are changing the matchmaking for the health of the game since its not a sustainable situation, but now you're releasing all these characters back to back. How is this helping the health of the game and making it sustainable? You guys are such hypocrites. This is not helping you current player base at all. And there's rumors that you guys are planning on releasing cyclops, scarlet with, ultron, and hulkbuster this month before the avengers. If this is actually true, then you guys deserve every hateful thing people say to you.
  • user311
    user311 Posts: 482 Mover and Shaker
    If they wanted to make more money through roster slots and cover buys then they would make more characters available by not limiting to top 50. Prodigal Sun at least has that going for it, I guess, but is just another inconsistency.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    I think the problem isn't that they keep releasing new characters. New characters are fun.

The problem is that the only reliable way to get those characters is to be in the top 15% of your shard (or top 5% for 4*). Add to that the fact that the new characters are always an essential for whatever PVE comes up, and it puts undue pressure on the players.

If the token system were different and it were easier to cover the characters you wanted, plus new characters weren't essentials, then lots of new characters would be a good thing, wouldn't it?

Edit: Oh, and roster slots.
  • warcin
    and ISO. This is a limited resources game, like most games, and they are flooding the game with to many characters and not enough resources. On top of the constant need to just keep going with no down time to compete and no clue how to handle 4 star characters but still bringing out new ones anyway
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    warcin wrote:
    After all the uproar over 2 new characters in a row you went and made it 3. Are you stupid or just don't care about this game anymore, even a little bit

The 'uproar' on these boards is a minority of the player base, and it is pretty much an echo chamber.

They looks at stats and player behaviours. Are people playing more and are they spending more, whether on covers, health packs or roster slots.

This board is always demanding that things be cheaper or free or more easily available regardless of the fact that D3 actually need to earn money. 'Stop releasing new characters so I don't spend more money' isn't really an argument they are interested in.
  • I have only 1 thing to say about releasing 3 characters in a row.

Are you nuts?
  • Crazy like a fox maybe.

The players who grind for every release are burnt out and many are going to skip this next PVE or take it easy. They are still giving out the same number of covers so they will go to someone. This will be the week some lucky scrub talks about pulling 3 covers for a new character for the first time ever, quicksilver will become his new favorite and he will spend some HP to max him out. Then he will keep playing the next event because he has the new character and try to do awesome there. And before you know it he too will be complaining about burnout and need to take it easy just in time for someone else to rise up and earn some other new character.

Thus the cycle continues. Its not inherently a bad cycle or a good cycle but it does make people realize that competing for every character is just not worth it, and its not meant to be. The game is designed for you to pick and choose your battles, but some of us ignore the subtle hints and try to go full tilt all the time and thats just not good for anyone long term....