Why would any vets join pvp events early now?

You're going to fight almost mono maxed teams, so why would you join in the first day+ of an event? Anyone over 400 without a maxed team gets ripped to shreds anyway, why would someone join with more than two or three health pack refreshes to the end?

Comments

• I'm not an expert, just speaking from a theoretical viewpoint.

Any fight with a participant that is under 1000 points (previously 800) will generate points into the system (more points gained than lost). If you start earlier, you will have more time to generate points into the system and rise up in progression.

If everyone started late, there would be no points in the system and reaching 1000 progression is almost impossible.
  • I tried to bring something similar up in Wills thread, but was just palmed off with its 'always been this way', but it hasn't been as bad as it is now. If you rush ahead now, there is no one to hit as the pool of players you can match from has just got much smaller. It makes the first day and a half a bit pointless.

But is anyone under the illusion that they care what we think anymore? There's a lot of positive words, but their actions say otherwise.

Edit: Maybe that's a bit harsh, I'm sure if they had a way of making it fair for everyone, they would. But it would require complete remodelling and build, so its easier just to screw the lowest payers as their money is already in the bank.
  • xellessanova
    xellessanova Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Because I don't want to jump in late and get stuck with a death bracket where 1100 is the cutoff for top 10 with all the other vets, mostly. So I joined immediately, cleared the seed teams and have just been playing when I feel like it.

Over the course of 2 days I can play slowly and stay below the radar whilst collecting retaliations, and I've won 2 and lost 2 on defense since starting. Boosted Hulk's hit points are going to make these fights super slow anyway.

I can see how this helps transitioners hit progressions early before the vets can see them, which must feel a ton better than getting immediately squashed by XF/Thors, but inevitably they'll drop back down and the top ranks will be filled with 4* and max 3* rosters. A lot of what this has done is switch the order of who joins first -- I used to tell players with weaker rosters to join late or climb late so as not to lose points to vets doing a climb. Now it's vets who are best served by waiting.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    To me, it's like cooldowns. There's a new strategy to be learned, I'll have to try different join times to figure out works best for my schedule/roster.
  • You gain more points than you lose. And when you get hit, you will collect a bunch of nice retaliations that allow you to easily climb back higher than you were before.

Besides, starting early protects you against awful unlucky cascades. If you eat a bad cascade during your only push in the final hours, you're ****'ed. If you've been pushing over the entire event, you're probably still at 700. I guess if you want to spend a fortune on health packs, this is irrelevant, but I'd rather use my HP differently.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Because I don't want to jump in late and get stuck with a death bracket where 1100 is the cutoff for top 10 with all the other vets, mostly.
    Don't worry, not enough of us will hit 1100 to make that an issue.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2015
    MarCr wrote:
    I tried to bring something similar up in Wills thread, but was just palmed off with its 'always been this way', but it hasn't been as bad as it is now. If you rush ahead now, there is no one to hit as the pool of players you can match from has just got much smaller. It makes the first day and a half a bit pointless.

But is anyone under the illusion that they care what we think anymore? There's a lot of positive words, but their actions say otherwise.

Edit: Maybe that's a bit harsh, I'm sure if they had a way of making it fair for everyone, they would. But it would require complete remodelling and build, so its easier just to screw the lowest payers as their money is already in the bank.

Not that harsh. I quoted Will and pointed this out - that PVP's are basically lightning rounds where the strongest and deepest rosters can march over anyone weaker than them in the last few hours; I was hoping for a response. Ah, hope! Hah!

Edit: I pointed out also it's always been that way, and it's always been a problem: why not focus on this?
  • WolfmanX25 wrote:
    You gain more points than you lose. And when you get hit, you will collect a bunch of nice retaliations that allow you to easily climb back higher than you were
    This. Back in the day I could avoid the highest point rosters a lot longer by reaching 600 the day before event ends, getting knocked down, and climbing to 8-900 mostly on retals. At some point I just stopped getting hit below 600 and had to make my 600-1000 climb on all 270/270/249s. Based on Heavy Metal, that old strategy might start working again
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    kthunder wrote:
    jwvas.jpg
    B9CwU7M.jpg
  • SnowcaTT
    Again, you'll only have a bad time if you don't have the roster to join late.

We currently have three people that join in the last 8 hours, one that often joins in last 4 and -still- hits 1K almost every time. First time with the MMR change they didn't hit quite as high, but did very well.

They have said in the past MMR you can run to 800 without needing a health pack or getting a counter-attack. I'm not sure how many they use the last few hundred points and I know they shield hop a little, but you can (well, could) get up high with a minimal amount of time played - if you have a roster that can take out the 3*'s with ease and won't be cross-attacked early through that climb.
  • I've always waited for the counter to reach a day and a half if its an event I want to place in, just trying to get into a nicer bracket, those early brackets reach STUPID scores. As well?

There are teams out there WORTH fighting (leap ahead and fight for ten points...yeah right).

Get high early on, people take 40 pt chunks out of you. Losing 200 points when not playing is NOT a good feeling.

The only time I play early is if I just want progression and have time.
    - Unreall
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,364 Chairperson of the Boards
    how does PVP brackets work anyways.. IS there more going on at once, what i mean by that is if you have a low rank team is it best to start off near the start times so you would be tossed into a bracket with people like you, if you jump an hour left is there just one Bracket or more then one open.

i ask this cause last season when i was doing last hour jumps some brackets tops would be 1200 while other times 500 would won it all
  • SnowcaTT
    slidecage wrote:
    how does PVP brackets work anyways.. IS there more going on at once, what i mean by that is if you have a low rank team is it best to start off near the start times so you would be tossed into a bracket with people like you, if you jump an hour left is there just one Bracket or more then one open.

i ask this cause last season when i was doing last hour jumps some brackets tops would be 1200 while other times 500 would won it all

Just luck of the draw. Whenever the 500 people are in, you are lumped with those people. If you start at the beginning, you may start with 400 people that have no interest in getting more than 400 points. If you start at the end, you may end with only 50 total people in the bracket. Or either of those examples may include 100 other people each trying to hit 800+.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,364 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    slidecage wrote:

Just luck of the draw. Whenever the 500 people are in, you are lumped with those people. If you start at the beginning, you may start with 400 people that have no interest in getting more than 400 points. If you start at the end, you may end with only 50 total people in the bracket. Or either of those examples may include 100 other people each trying to hit 800+.

forgot to also add some bracket are the same as me (no better then MAX 2 stars while other have max 4 thor x force and the rest of the biggies)
  • Various38
    Various38 Posts: 101
    I've been trying different times and different strategies throughout and it looks like I'm stuck in the T300 of every event. With the PVE broken as it is, these events are the only thing keeping me going. I found that playing with the roster I currently have only allows me to play early in the event and scrape up any points I can get. I guess this is all about paying dues. I just wish I could have been playing from the start to see how the first events and matches went. I figure everyone should have been close to the same levels at that time.