How are ties figured in scoring?

cletus1985
cletus1985 Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
edited April 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Just got the same exact score as the guy that won 50th in Teenage Riot, I get 51st and get downgraded to top 100. How do they pick who gets 50 and who gets **** into the lower reward tier? I've had ties before, but never one that directly effected my reward tier and am curious if it's just RNG saying "screw you" one more time or if there's actually a basis for placement.

Any vets or reds have the answer to this?

Comments

• dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    First person to the score gets the higher placement.
  • cletus1985
    dkffiv wrote:
    First person to the score gets the higher placement.

Seems like a poor system, considering I was actually higher than that player and took a defensive loss to be knocked down to his score. Not saying I should be awarded over him either though. Most games implement a system for ties so that ties would put however many people got the score into the placement and the next highest score would just drop to show their true placement. i.e. 49) bob, 50) bill and mike , 52) joe

Not sure how often this happens, but it really is kind of deflating to have an actual top 50 score and only be awarded top 100 prizes. I would imagine it would only be more infuriating if this happened on the top 100 bubble and you got 101st with an equal score.
  • Except you don't have a top 50 score, because you (should) know the tie breaker going in. Your score said 51st place and you had 51st place.

Tie breakers are not an uncommon thing in any ranking system, from major league sports to any kind of ranking system. Knowing the tie breakers and how they effect you is important. I'm sorry you missed top 50, but now you can not let it happen again since you know how ties will affect the outcome.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lerysh wrote:
    Except you don't have a top 50 score, because you (should) know the tie breaker going in. Your score said 51st place and you had 51st place.

Tie breakers are not an uncommon thing in any ranking system, from major league sports to any kind of ranking system. Knowing the tie breakers and how they effect you is important. I'm sorry you missed top 50, but now you can not let it happen again since you know how ties will affect the outcome.

He has somewhat of a point but I'm not sure how I feel about it. I probably wouldn't mess with it. What if its something like this:

You have 850
    Player B has 860.
    Player C is shielded at 840 in 50th.

Player B gets hit and drops to 840 before he can shield. You get hit after for -10 and you're at 840. Who has the biggest claim to 50th place? Its kinda complicated so I think first to 840 is the simplest solution.
  • cletus1985
    Lerysh wrote:
    Except you don't have a top 50 score, because you (should) know the tie breaker going in. Your score said 51st place and you had 51st place.

I got hit at the very end of the event for -29, no chance to shield and even had I known the tiebreaker formula it wouldn't have mattered (didn't know I was going to get hit for -29 or what score #50 had.

Would it really hurt anything for the rankings to be set up that ties award the people with that score the same placement? The only time it would effect anything is if that tie happened right on the reward tier bubble (which is honestly the only reason I ever even thought about it).

I'm honestly not upset, it's 25hp and 500iso not enough to wreck my day, but I could see that being very disheartening to a player that had the same thing happen to them for top 100 vs top 200 rewards. Not crusading for change, just thinking them handing out a couple extra rewards in the event of this happening would only be beneficial to morale of the players. I now know and hopefully this post will clarify it for others who had no idea.
  • Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    Last man standing- you fight their roster with your roster. no boosts no team ups. each time a hero gets downed a new one jumps in until one man left standing if still tied then fastest clear time wins. oh and all the tiles are charged.
  • Heartburn wrote:
    Last man standing- you fight their roster with your roster. no boosts no team ups. each time a hero gets downed a new one jumps in until one man left standing if still tied then fastest clear time wins. oh and all the tiles are charged.

Sorry I just imagined 4Thor hosting a LIGHTNING ROUND with all charged tiles all the time. She is the host so obviously cant play. Similar to league of legends and their silly URF mode.