Thick as Thieves Progression Awards

2»

Comments

• grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    Two things with this PVE, I think the devs have forgotten that they changed the refresh time to 8 hours and left the high progression score the same as last time (I think they did this about a month ago to...can't remember what the PVE was though). If that is so, please just man up and say that its your bad and you will fix it. If it was intended, then come on here and say, this is the new version of PVE where only certain people will get to progress faster. Also, I am at 60 place and have about 4700 points left to go for Kamala. I will most likely get it, but I also only have 6h42m to get it. I should not be in the 60th place and barely getting the progression reward especially since the placement rewards are top 50 and above. Also, I do not like the fact that they nerfed the boost against a level 5 blue hood who steals everything you get and he has goons supplying him yellow so that he can twin pistol everything without ever matching yellow. I think the devs keep forgetting that all their decisions to make this game "fun" has unintended consequences. They love to nerf so things are more "fun", but they forget that they originally set up certain pve based on the original set up. They really need to quit putting out a 3rd consecutive weekly character (alright mod's...you were saying that it was an accident and it would rarely happen, now you have 3 weeks in a row) and fix the events. If you don't have the man power to fix things, hire someone for that purpose because that is how business is done. If I can't see patients in a timely manner, I either see less patients or higher another nurse to get them in quicker or higher another physician to help see them. You just lost mischiefmaker earlier today (maybe last night) and have had other big players quit recenly. Two devs had time to post a farewell to mischiefmaker which was nice, but not one dev has replied to anything worthwhile in the last week. I know you want to keep fleecing new players, but the comments on the app download page will eventually stop you from getting new birds to pluck. Anyways, that's my 2 cents.
  • Scoregasms
    Scoregasms Posts: 373
    We'll know soon enough if this is a continuing trend in the next PVE. If top progression is back to a casual friendly level, then we know it was a blip along the road. If they are going to re-run KK rewards in PVP, the least they could do is do the same in the next PVE and make her the top progression again (since it won't be Kingpin). Otherwise, be prepared for more Mororo top progression covers!

I suspect that if they did actually respond to it and it was indeed a mistake, then there'd be a lot of cries for some sort of compensation, and what would they do? Give out a KK cover to everyone who participated? I acknowledge it's tough and can see both sides, best case is that it was a mistake and they acknowledged it and offered up some sort of compensation (whether that's KK or not is the real question). Worst case is that they simply ignore it and we just have to accept it and move on (which is basically what we're doing now anyway, lol).

However, if this is the new trend, you can expect to see a lot of casual only PVE players only going for top progression simply stop playing PVE entirely.
  • grunth13
    For a company that prides itself on the data that they generate to make decisions, they rarely make decisions that seem to help the players, except dpq and bringing down the pvp progression to 1000 which they then kittied with change of MMR rules so now people that were regularly getting 1000 can't get that high. They also stated that the reason for nerfing TGT was because of impending new characters, but didn't they see the eventual MMR change when bringing down the 1000 point progression. Data is only useful if you are using it completely, not cherry picking it for your benefit...that's how the anti-vaccine people have brought back diseases that we thought were eradicated in this country. DONT BE ANTI-VAXERS!!!!
  • Just barely hit the top prog with under 2 hours left and now I'm fighting to stay in the top 50. You know it was bad when only top 50-60 people in a bracket are hitting top prog.

I don't want o hit top prog before I'm halfway through an event, but likewise I don't want to have to hit every clear at the optimal time in the hopes of hitting top prog if I grind like a tiny kitty at the end either.

Balance, please.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    I think this was just a mistake on the part of Demiurge. As others have noted, TaT was originally designed with 2.5 hour refreshes. The 65,000 point threshold represents (more or less) a point at which you've done three full clears of each phase of the event. Three full clears of a 24-hour event is relatively achievable with 2.5 or 3 hour refresh timers. With 8 hour timers, you need to clear at EXACTLY the right times to get three full clears, and mathematically can't do more than four "full" clears. (The fourth can't be 100%, because you'd have to start at the exact time the event ended...)

I think they should have scaled it down to something like 50-52k to reflect the longer refresh timers (or scaled up the base value of all the nodes), and just didn't.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Curious if anyone without KK was able to achieve 65k progression
  • DaveR4470 wrote:
    I think this was just a mistake on the part of Demiurge. .

Well that would be a first...
    NOT

It's amazing that they crank out the same trite content event after event but can't even get THAT right. It's like they don't even give any forethought to this stuff...oh wait...
    THEY DON'T

easy. marc
  • grunth13
    There is no chance that someone without KK could have gotten the progression without her. I just got 65K with 3 hours left and I have KK. I finished every node almost every 8-10 hours (not ideal, but sorry, I was sick yesterday). About 20-30% of the points are stuck in the essentials, and for 65k to be progression, it would mean that 13K to 19.5k are undoable unless you have a massive library with everyone else maxed out to keep throwing at all the other nodes. Top 10 in my slice are between 83k to 93k and not a single one without KK. Everyone around the 65K in my slice also all have KK. So, no, I don't think it is a possible.
  • Marty17
    Marty17 Posts: 503 Critical Contributor
    I just got the 2nd to last progression reward, not even close in gaining another Kamala Khan cover. I admit normally I sail beyond the last progression reward, but this time round seems more of grind.
  • anamosity
    anamosity Posts: 87
    I just finished up the event. Ended top 100 so I was playing in the top 10% of people. I wound up 15K shy of the top progression, so I was only about 3/4 of the way there. Given the earlier commenter that was just in top 50 with hitting max progression that seems like they got it wrong.
    When you have to be playing at the level to get a new 4* release to simply hit 3* max progression someone got the math wrong.
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    I reached the progression reward at the end of the Anderson sub. Certainly not easy to do if you play casual but it was fair if you ask me.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Omega Red wrote:
    I reached the progression reward at the end of the Anderson sub. Certainly not easy to do if you play casual but it was fair if you ask me.

Could I ask how you played things? Were you hitting the sub every 8 hours? Just curious.... because that's pretty impressive.

I think they just need to buckle down and figure out a level of progression that should be the "max" and have it be consistent from event to event. I think 2.5 clears or something in the range would probably be acceptable for most players. The problem now is that max progression awards are so variable that expectations are being jerked around. In one event, you hit the max progression halfway through the event without the featured, and in the next you can't hit max without almost maxing out every sub.

I think this is magnified in importance to us when it's the second PvE for a new character. Because in the intro PvE, whether you get the char or not is partially out of your hands, as it depends on how everyone else in your slice plays. But in the follow-up, it's entirely about how YOU play, because it's the progression award. So people who missed out on the award in the intro because they can't play at a top-100 level for some reason still can, if they work at it, get the character in the second one. But that goes out the window when it's barely achievable without (a) the character for the required nodes and (b) top 50-level grinding in the second event....
  • woopie
    woopie Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    I hit the final progression during my first clear of the last sub. Didn't play optimally, but hit all the nodes every 8 hours or so. Was just aiming for top 50 so I didn't grind all that much towards the end of subs and I went to bed before doing my first clear of the new ones (losing basically 1 clear there)
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    DaveR4470 wrote:
    Omega Red wrote:

Could I ask how you played things? Were you hitting the sub every 8 hours? Just curious.... because that's pretty impressive.

I think they just need to buckle down and figure out a level of progression that should be the "max" and have it be consistent from event to event. I think 2.5 clears or something in the range would probably be acceptable for most players. The problem now is that max progression awards are so variable that expectations are being jerked around. In one event, you hit the max progression halfway through the event without the featured, and in the next you can't hit max without almost maxing out every sub.

I think this is magnified in importance to us when it's the second PvE for a new character. Because in the intro PvE, whether you get the char or not is partially out of your hands, as it depends on how everyone else in your slice plays. But in the follow-up, it's entirely about how YOU play, because it's the progression award. So people who missed out on the award in the intro because they can't play at a top-100 level for some reason still can, if they work at it, get the character in the second one. But that goes out the window when it's barely achievable without (a) the character for the required nodes and (b) top 50-level grinding in the second event....

I did nothing special, I just started early and I've been clearing the nodes every eight hours. This PVE doesn't have plenty of subs and nodes so it isn't that time-intensive as others. I don't grind the nodes to zero like others but I cleared the essential nodes in Anderson about four times each right before the sub ended. Without that I would've reached progression until the first clear of the final sub.