Max# of Cover Spaces? (& Cost per Slot)

Options
Good morning,

This weekend I noticed that, after buying my 10th slot, the price doubled from 50HP to 100HP for every additional slot. icon_e_confused.gif

Two questions:
  • Is a cap on the number of storage spaces one is able to purchase?
  • At what thresholds does the price increase, and by what amount is said increase?

Comments

• I bought my 16th Slot this morning and it cost me 150HP. I am pretty positive my 15th Slot was only 100HP though:

15th Slot = 100HP
    16th Slot = 150HP
  • 20th slot is 200hp. Have 22 now
  • Yeah I'm at 20-21 as well and it looks like the cost goes up 50HP each every 5 levels.
  • hogunner wrote:
    it looks like the cost goes up 50HP each every 5 levels.
    Let’s see...using that math…

50 slots = 11,250 HP total...not too bad...
    100 slots = 47,500 HP total...yikes.

I asked because expanding one’s shelf space seems to be the best thing to invest into when starting out...I hate that I’ve had to sell so many covers to make space for better ones, especially considering that all of the little side tournaments that go on lock out huge swaths of characters.
  • BigChris wrote:
    hogunner wrote:

I asked because expanding one’s shelf space seems to be the best thing to invest into when starting out...I hate that I’ve had to sell so many covers to make space for better ones, especially considering that all of the little side tournaments that go on lock out huge swaths of characters.

As the total unique covers available increases, I'd be really surprised if they didn't lower the overall cost of cover spaces; to me it just makes sense from a development/marketing standpoint that the more covers a player has, the more invested they are in the game and thus, the more likely they will spend (more) money. We aren't playing Marvel Cover Spaces Quest, after all. icon_e_wink.gif
  • It's relatively easy to get HP if you put some time into the tournaments. The game is F2P, so some IAP would be expected. Be glad they let you even get premium currency via tournaments..
  • It's relatively easy to get HP if you put some time into the tournaments. The game is F2P, so some IAP would be expected. Be glad they let you even get premium currency via tournaments..

Your logic is a wee bit flawed there, junshengkeh as, once you're over 20 covers, they're 200HP a pop and considering every other tournament has a brand new cover, that means if you do good, most, if not all of the HP you collect will go towards covers. Pretty soon it will be easy to have 30 unique covers, then 40 and so on. At that point you're spending 300-400 a spot and most people won't find that so easy to earn (unless something changes). There's still plenty of reason to make in app purchases that have nothing to do with cover space.

Also, I don't agree at all with your statement "Be glad they let you even get premium currency via tournaments.."; no, I'm not glad. If they weren't fair about doling out their in game currency, I just wouldn't play. They want to make money, I want a quality game that has good ROI; so far they're doing a good job so they continue to get my money, I shouldn't have to be thankful for that; that's just good business sense on their part. icon_razz.gif
  • Eventually. Your gonna have to choose wich cards ya wanna keep. I dropped most of the 1* besides iron man and venom. (Before the 1* tourney yes)
  • hogunner wrote:
    BigChris wrote:
    hogunner wrote:

As the total unique covers available increases, I'd be really surprised if they didn't lower the overall cost of cover spaces; to me it just makes sense from a development/marketing standpoint that the more covers a player has, the more invested they are in the game and thus, the more likely they will spend (more) money. We aren't playing Marvel Cover Spaces Quest, after all. icon_e_wink.gif
    agree 100%
  • Unknown
    edited October 2013
    Options
    hogunner wrote:
    BigChris wrote:
    hogunner wrote:

I'd like to amend my previous statement: "not too bad" should read "ouch".

Explanation- I wrote the post at work (where I have no wifi access), and was thinking that $20 = ~25,000HP. HA Haaaaaaaa...wow, was I ever wrong...I think it's closer to $20 = 2,900HP, right?

Yeah...the cover slots are too damn expensive.
  • BigChris wrote:
    I'd like to amend my previous statement: "not too bad" should read "ouch".

Explanation- I wrote the post at work (where I have no wifi access), and was thinking that $20 = ~25,000HP. HA Haaaaaaaa...wow, was I ever wrong...I think it's closer to $20 = 2,500HP, right?

Yeah...the cover slots are too damn expensive.

I think so long as the events keep coming steady it won't be an issue to buy some points and use rewards to help pad out your cover space. You're certainly not going to need to fork out 200 bucks for cover space.
  • Upon further reflection- The whole cover slot system is broken.

I don't know if anyone here play(s/ed) Marvel: Avengers Alliance on FB, but this is analogous to having to purchase slots for heroes with Command Points, before you then spend more Command Points to acquire heroes.

Actually, it's worse than that...considering the gambling element involved in procuring covers, it's akin to sitting down at a poker table, paying a scalable fee that sets a cap on the number of chips that you're allowed to have in front of you at any given time, THEN buying some chips.

Cover slots should not cost premium currency. Iso? Okay. But HP? On a SLIDING SCALE nonetheless!? That's downright ridiculous. icon_mad.gif
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    BigChris wrote:
    Upon further reflection- The whole cover slot system is broken.

I don't know if anyone here play(s/ed) Marvel: Avengers Alliance on FB, but this is analogous to having to purchase slots for heroes with Command Points, before you then spend more Command Points to acquire heroes.

Actually, it's worse than that...considering the gambling element involved in procuring covers, it's akin to sitting down at a poker table, paying a scalable fee that sets a cap on the number of chips that you're allowed to have in front of you at any given time, THEN buying some chips.

Cover slots should not cost premium currency. Iso? Okay. But HP? On a SLIDING SCALE nonetheless!? That's downright ridiculous. icon_mad.gif
    M:AA and our game work things very differently though. Our game may cost for Cover Slots, but they don't *necessarily* cost for heroes. There's never a point in M:AA where the game just hands you a token, spins a roulette, and hands you a hero that could be Mockingbird or Valkyrie, saving you 200 CP. We do that as a matter of course.
  • Heck I was playing M:AA till I found this game and Candy Crush.....I dunt miss them......
  • BigChris wrote:

They give away the premium currency for free though. Sure you have to work for it but it's not like you're never getting more. If you really don't want to spend any money, you can still get this stuff. I'm still evaluating this game before I decide to spend money on it and I have 13 cover spaces. I could have more but I spent some of my early hero points on skills in the old system and hero packs. I haven't even raided the prologue completely for HP and I've only picked up about 500-600 from events. This stuff is easy to come by.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    ArchJojo wrote:
    Heck I was playing M:AA till I found this game and Candy Crush.....I dunt miss them......
    I still play M:AA on a regular basis. Level 289 and I figure this new SO should push me through to 300. Although that's derailing the thread. Bad Admin, bad!
  • IceIX wrote:
    M:AA and our game work things very differently though. Our game may cost for Cover Slots, but they don't *necessarily* cost for heroes. There's never a point in M:AA where the game just hands you a token, spins a roulette, and hands you a hero that could be Mockingbird or Valkyrie, saving you 200 CP. We do that as a matter of course.

I also agree that the cover slot system is rather broken... and I think the tweak of recruit tokens has amplified the issue. Particularly at low levels you're likely to get stuck in a situation where you have filled all of your slots but cannot afford to buy another slot -- forcing any new covers into the cache. That forces players into either paying for HP (not everyone can afford), hoping to earn the HP in a week's time (generally not too hard, unless you're very low level and have unfortunately gotten a lot of unique covers), or selling off covers/discarding covers in the cache.

I am now up to 21 covers and 22 slots (surprising to me only 3 of those are 1-power chars right now), and if I get any more tokens I simply cannot afford to redeem them right now because I don't have enough HP for another slot (it's 200 HP at this point). I'm actually sad to get new covers right now.

I don't have an issue with cover slots costing HP, or even with them increasing in price. I think the current ramp up is a bit steep though -- maybe +50 HP every 10 covers instead of every 5.