Fast hops?

simonsez
simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
edited April 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Now that we have a sense of what PvP will probably be like going forward, ie no super-buffed 3s, limited boosts, GT slow as ****, what are most people using for fast hops now? Have we rolled back the clock to Hulk bombing?

Comments

• puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    As a player who tries to finish each match in 2 minutes or less, I look at a number of factors in deciding who I take on between hops. If there is a guy w/ a passive that automatically triggers at the beginning of a turn (i.e. Luke's red protect tile), I try to avoid those teams b/c the animation slows down the match significantly. Facing a max goddess/xfw team doesn't scare me. What scares me is losing a ton of points because I get hit while being bogged down by a match involving a ton of slow animation sequences.

Kamala's event is problematic for me as a fast player b/c her yellow passive fires whenever your team triggers an ability. So the solution is to trigger LESS abilities and focus on doing knockout blows (i.e. fire off a SS to kill a character in one strike and one kamala animation sequence) as much as possible.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    Now that we have a sense of what PvP will probably be like going forward, ie no super-buffed 3s, limited boosts, GT slow as ****, what are most people using for fast hops now? Have we rolled back the clock to Hulk bombing?

Judging by the teams I saw skipping through targets yesterday , here's what people are using (in no particular order):

XF/GT, XF/Thor, XF/IF, XF/Hood, XF/Loki, XF/Magneto, XF/Deadpool, XF/Cage, Patch/Hulk, Patch/Loki. Basically, Wolverine and his best friends.

I did 3 hops yesterday, 4 matches (lost once, attacked twice), 5 matches (panic shielded, zero attacks) and 3 matches (attacked once)...using XForce/Thor,Loki,Hood, boost 2G/B and either R/Y or boost 60% damage on one set of colors, and 100% crit damage (i like to burn these off occasionally)
  • In the wake of the newest "changes", a rise in Hulk bombing was almost guaranteed. For a few health packs, 5 green Patch can cause the big guy to WTFAngerPwnzor pretty much any team very quickly once you get 'Zerker Rage off. Two problems with this though. One, new boost limitation means you can't get one match away from firing Rage anymore. If Sentry bombing taught me anything, sometimes making two matches of one color in a rush situation is two too many. This game loves to troll. The second problem with a rise in Hulk bombing is that bombing an enemy Hulk becomes a very dubious proposition. Are we also going to see a spike in All Tied Up TU use as well? icon_razz.gif
  • simonsez
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    sometimes making two matches of one color in a rush situation is two too many.
    Exactly... but except for XF/IF on a black-heavy starting board, I'm not sure if there's anything better that can get going any faster than 2 matches.
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    simonsez wrote:

Judging by the teams I saw skipping through targets yesterday , here's what people are using (in no particular order):

XF/GT, XF/Thor, XF/IF, XF/Hood, XF/Loki, XF/Magneto, XF/Deadpool, XF/Cage, Patch/Hulk, Patch/Loki. Basically, Wolverine and his best friends.

I did 3 hops yesterday, 4 matches (lost once, attacked twice), 5 matches (panic shielded, zero attacks) and 3 matches (attacked once)...using XForce/Thor,Loki,Hood, boost 2G/B and either R/Y or boost 60% damage on one set of colors, and 100% crit damage (i like to burn these off occasionally)

Hooray diversity!
  • user311
    user311 Posts: 482 Mover and Shaker
    I resorted to alternating between a Hulk Bomb and XF/LThor. Without a strong GT, there is no longer a good deterrent to prevent attacks. Hulb Bomb is easy to overcome but at the expense of health packs it can be a fast win provided you pick on lesser built teams (those without Thor class health).
  • I use Luke+IF for climbing and then XF+IF after 650-700pt. I find XF+IF pretty fast and I boost 2 in B/G and B/P. Go for purple first, one match u can cast IF purple then you can SS maybe turn 2-3 icon_e_smile.gif.

My go to team usually was GT+Luke but find it too slow now.(Less charged yellow tiles for Luke and GT hits so low now) :<
  • simonsez
    akiratang wrote:
    I find XF+IF pretty fast
    My experience is that this is a quick starter, but without a good compatible 3rd, it can stall out before ending the match.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    As much as I hate to admit it, I'm still on the Thorverine bandwagon. Even with her drastically reduced damage, her and Xforce together are still the fasted team I can field with my roster. I've just had to switch who I use Power Surge on and who I Smite. Xforce takes out whoever has the least health as fast as possible, and with any luck, by then I have the magic 9 blue/10 red for Thor. Used to be over at that point, and depending on the team I'm fighting, it often still is. As long as one of the remaining characters goes down to 7,600 damage, the 3 turn stun from Surge is usually enough to build up enough AP to take down the last guy. It gets a little dicey if you're fighting say Lthor and Hulk, as one Smite isn't going to do it, so you have to chip away at one of them until they're sub 7,500 health, but I still don't see anybody that can do it faster than XF/Thor.

Just to be clear tho, I'm NOT defending the Thor nerf, I still think it went too far. She's all but worthless vs lvl 250+ Ares, Juggs, Venom, etc etc, and since her nerf I've been getting manhandled by them in PvE. If anything, I'd use the above statement as an argument for un-nerfing her just a little bit, as I think people will ultimately come to the same decision - her and Xforce are still gonna rule PvP, so give her back some of her damage so we can survive these silly scaled PvE battles.
  • XMags.........

Green Black Red Blue...Symphony of Destruction

Mags Red leads to board crushing cascades + more AP than you will ever need. It's faster than XF/IF imo, but my Mags is 157 and IF is 130 fwiw.
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    tanis3303 wrote:
    As much as I hate to admit it, I'm still on the Thorverine bandwagon. Even with her drastically reduced damage, her and Xforce together are still the fasted team I can field with my roster. I've just had to switch who I use Power Surge on and who I Smite. Xforce takes out whoever has the least health as fast as possible, and with any luck, by then I have the magic 9 blue/10 red for Thor. Used to be over at that point, and depending on the team I'm fighting, it often still is. As long as one of the remaining characters goes down to 7,600 damage, the 3 turn stun from Surge is usually enough to build up enough AP to take down the last guy. It gets a little dicey if you're fighting say Lthor and Hulk, as one Smite isn't going to do it, so you have to chip away at one of them until they're sub 7,500 health, but I still don't see anybody that can do it faster than XF/Thor.

Just to be clear tho, I'm NOT defending the Thor nerf, I still think it went too far. She's all but worthless vs lvl 250+ Ares, Juggs, Venom, etc etc, and since her nerf I've been getting manhandled by them in PvE. If anything, I'd use the above statement as an argument for un-nerfing her just a little bit, as I think people will ultimately come to the same decision - her and Xforce are still gonna rule PvP, so give her back some of her damage so we can survive these silly scaled PvE battles.

You realize that even though you won't admit it, you've shown by your own actions that Thor Wolv is still the best combo, therefore the nerfs didn't remove her from top tier, and weren't overdone.
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    wirius wrote:
    You realize that even though you won't admit it, you've shown by your own actions that Thor Wolv is still the best combo, therefore the nerfs didn't remove her from top tier, and weren't overdone.
    If you just tone down the attitude I think you'd get a much better reception here; I share your opinion on the nerfs, but you don't have to be a jerk about it.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Xor only worked because IM40 was feeding her the exact colors she needed. As it was, if you're not casting 2 smites reasonably close together (after a surge), unibeam did more consistent damage