Buff, don't nerf.

2»

Comments

• SlamDunc wrote:
    I posted a topic with exactly this title when they removed true healing and -at the time- made it all but impossible to progress in the 3* transition. The only thing I can say is that D3 has a terrible habit of over compensating with every character change. Honestly, X Force is one of the least game breaking changes I've seen but he'll get reworked again to bring him back in line eventually.

The root of the problem tho is the dev's think he's in line now.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    So, the health level increases that exclude a few PvP favorites are a good example of "buffing" instead of "nerfing." I don't get the sense that people are very happy with it, either. Instead they see it as a sneaky "Stealth nerf."
  • So, the health level increases that exclude a few PvP favorites are a good example of "buffing" instead of "nerfing." I don't get the sense that people are very happy with it, either. Instead they see it as a sneaky "Stealth nerf."

It's not so much a buff as a "let's nerf every power everywhere at the same time". Adding 30% to HP values is basically the same as decreasing damage of all powers by 30% across the board.
  • Well, this is sort of a way to combat power creep, but it really sucks for older characters whose abilities still suck.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    If the 4 stars were anything near where XF was, more and more people would be crying about the 270 wall and shoddy MMR. They'll eventually keep crying about it to the point the devs might have to just section off people who actually had those covers. icon_e_biggrin.gif Then those people who cried would eventually get them and be sectioned off with the wolves they upset.
  • GuntherBlobel
    Lerysh wrote:
    So, the health level increases that exclude a few PvP favorites are a good example of "buffing" instead of "nerfing." I don't get the sense that people are very happy with it, either. Instead they see it as a sneaky "Stealth nerf."

It's not so much a buff as a "let's nerf every power everywhere at the same time". Adding 30% to HP values is basically the same as decreasing damage of all powers by 30% across the board.
    You've read Demiurge_Will's post on buffs and nerfs, right? Every change has myriad "buffing" and "nerfing" effects, since power in the game is all relative. So I can see why you see a health buff as a damage nerf.

In the end, whether you call something a buff or nerf is the same as calling a glass "half full" or "half empty."
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Lerysh wrote:

You've read Demiurge_Will's post on buffs and nerfs, right? Every change has myriad "buffing" and "nerfing" effects, since power in the game is all relative. So I can see why you see a health buff as a damage nerf.

In the end, whether you call something a buff or nerf is the same as calling a glass "half full" or "half empty."

It's true everything is a relative buff or nerf. The thing is, buffs tend to have a better impact psychologically and don't completely invalidate the other characters.

But wait, you might say, what about these health buffs? Everyone seems to be complaining. Well, the thing there is that most characters got buffs all at once. In this way, anyone not receiving a buff was really left behind. So they are not boosting a few characters, they are moving the entire playing field, minus a few.
  • GuntherBlobel
    I see what you are saying. Players might be more excited about health buffs if they started worth Storm and slowly worked their way up over time. If they never get around to Thor, players may not notice. It's an interesting idea.

I will say, my impression that most players see all changes as "nerfs" is based on all the crazy conspiracy theories you see with even minor changes to the game. I know some people are just kidding around, but others really do see only sinister motives behind any game change.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    I will say, my impression that most players see all changes as "nerfs" is based on all the crazy conspiracy theories you see with even minor changes to the game. I know some people are just kidding around, but others really do see only sinister motives behind any game change.
    There's nothing "sinister" about a company looking to make money. That's the whole point of being in business. No one thinks the devs make changes because they hate us. I find it crazy that people would think that there's any other ultimate motive beyond "increased revenue"... and yet people who point out how changes tie into that, are labelled "conspiracy theorists"