Speculation & Concept subforum not for a Speculation topic?

Options

Re:
Upcoming Content

Postby IceIX » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:37 pm
There is a topic sitting at the top of this forum that covers spoilers, yet you made a new thread after I killed the one that was in the wrong sub-forum to start. Please enjoy a couple days vacation and read over our forum rules in the mean time. The vacation is *not* directly for the spoilers (again, see available thread for allowance on those). We value new members to the forums, but it's usually best to lurk a little to see how things work socially before trying to drop bombs like this. I know you're excited and all about the info, but it's just not the way things work around here.

Why would you ban a user for making a new topic in Speculation and Concepts about possible future characters and events? Feels like it *was* about the spoilers. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I need to enjoy a couple days of vacation as well. Tahiti, maybe?

Comments

• *Deleted the duplicate post. Don't vacation me, please! icon_e_wink.gif
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    Why wouldn't you want to go to Tahiti? It's a magical place.

But the reason that the (3 day) vacation was given was a result of obviously not reading forum rules at least twice in a row. He/she is perfectly welcome to come back after a brief break though. The part about not allowing speculation isn't quite right. As I stated, there was a thread right there at the very top of the sub-forum. No additional thread needed. That's really all there is to it!
  • Ha, glad I'm not the only one I know that is enjoying that show. You are literally the second person I've talked to who would get that reference.

I can sympathize with keeping the boards de-cluttered. But at 73 pages deep, maybe that topic could use an archive and new iteration. I wouldn't feel that great about creating content and dumping it at the end of something so bloated (I do acknowledge the time-display scheme, however, so not really a big deal).

Upon reading the forum rules, it appears the banning was unjust. From the forum rules:
      7. We also reserve the right to kick anybody off of our forums if they do not abide by the rules above.
      (Emphasis mine)
      It could be argued that poster violated Rule 5a:
      a. Trolling, or posting something just to get a rise out of someone.
      But that would be hard to prove that in a quantifiable manner.

However, user was banned for violating Rule 9:
      Please don’t restart discussions that already exist...

So, by the letter of the law, the poster didn't violate a rule that warrants a ban of any duration, as he restarted an existing discussion, and Rule 9 exists below Rule 7, the conditions under which one may face banning. Therefore, due to the order of the rules, Rule 9 violations are not subject to Rule 7 bannings. Therefore, I would like to request the ban be rescinded immediately, the guidelines be adjusted if appropriate/desired, and the poster be given another chance to post the info on page 73 of the existing relevant topic.

Of course, I acknowledge this is all subject to moderators'/admins' preference, as it is a private property, and my arguments don't carry any weight beyond what they are given. And, for full disclosure, the original poster is not me, as I am posting in the forum beyond what is allowed for a second account, and no, I literally have NOTHING better to do with my time. icon_cry.gif

Thank you for your time,

ErnestSavesHalo, esq., attorney not 't all
    • Pylgrim
      Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
      Options
      Pretty sure that that user was banned because he was bluntly spoiling in advance months worth of content. Other leak-spoilers have been tolerated because they give out the spoilers in small doses and usually in cryptic ways. That whets players' appetites and keep them engaged and curious in between character releases. Spoiling it all at once may give us a big rush of excitement, followed by weeks and weeks of boredom as nothing unexpected or new happens.
    • Pylgrim wrote:
      Pretty sure that that user was banned because he was bluntly spoiling in advance months worth of content. Other leak-spoilers have been tolerated because they give out the spoilers in small doses and usually in cryptic ways. That whets players' appetites and keep them engaged and curious in between character releases. Spoiling it all at once may give us a big rush of excitement, followed by weeks and weeks of boredom as nothing unexpected or new happens.

IceIX explicitly gave us their word that it wasn't because of the spoilers. We can believe them.
    • mohio
      mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
      Options
      Except that IceIX is specifically stating that is not the reason, and the spoiler itself would have been fine if it were simply posted in the right place. I too think he's being a bit disingenuous by saying that, since of course he removed the spoilers from the post instead of moving it to the correct place (which seems like the more apt response). Anyway, I don't care that it happened, I just wish a spade were called a spade.
    • GothicKratos
      GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
      Options
      Can I point out there's a gigantic chasm between "speculation" and blatant spoilers? icon_lol.gif