PvP tournaments - seperate reward tiers / leaderboard tiers

Options
@devs - I love that you have so much fresh content and tournaments to challenge. it really keeps the game living after the prologue is done.

What would greatly enhance those tournament enjoyment to me is if the progression reward tier counters were seprated from leaderboard tier counters. I think it's entirely beneficial that when you lose a defense in the PvP that your rank on leaderboard drops in points. this makes for some adrenaline filled final moments...

It's the most aggravating thing in the world though to know that you've racked up at least 1500 pts in wins but you sit at a final tally of 800 never having broken the 1100 threshold. I must have spent a good 2 hours at one point hovering between 980-999 before finally breaking 1001 going +20/25 and then -20/30 each time i'd win.

I think that if you set the reward tiers the same the first 1000 but then spaced them out at 1200, 1400, 1600, 1800, 2000 instead of the normal 1500 ending point this would allow the same difficulty to acheive (only 2 days usually) and cut out all the "hulk smash!" moments of 999/1099/etc....

it also has the effect that it's not even worth trying to advance tiers in the final 2hours as you are a major target of all looking to increase their rank.

Please consider allowing a constant increase on the reward progression while the leaderboard progression is the one that has negative impact only.

Thanks,
Catalyst

Comments

• I 100% agree with this. I gore tired of not reaching those high point rewards cause I can't defend my rating.
  • Everybody would hit the max rewards easily, in my opinion, if your system was adopted. I'm not sure the devs want to give everything away that easily.

I hit 1100 in the last event, but never got near 1200, c'est la vie.
  • I believe the Devs want to keep some of the rewards in the "out of reach" zone.

If they did implement your system, they will probably start putting the really good rewards at >10k points.

I'll give you a tip. For whichever time zone you're in, choose a time when the other 2 time zones are asleep to push your points to reach a certain high level reward. Of course, be prepared to get smacked when the world wakes again icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Bombul wrote:
    I believe the Devs want to keep some of the rewards in the "out of reach" zone.

If they did implement your system, they will probably start putting the really good rewards at >10k points.

I'll give you a tip. For whichever time zone you're in, choose a time when the other 2 time zones are asleep to push your points to reach a certain high level reward. Of course, be prepared to get smacked when the world wakes again icon_e_biggrin.gif

For me there's a difference between "impossible to reach" rewards and "extremely hard to reach" rewards; unfortunately in all the current tournaments (and all the previous ones I've seen), the upper 5-10% of the rewards are impossible to reach. This isn't fun nor is it productive for the devs as if no one ever reaches that carrot they have dangling on that stick, then eventually the user base with get tired of chasing that always elusive carrot and quit caring. The rewards should never be impossible otherwise they're not rewards, so what's the point?

I believe the devs have put them so out of reach because they were/are unsure exactly how many points are possible to collect in their current system and didn't want the uber prizes to be too easy to achieve and accidentally flood the market. If this is true, then I'd suspect the rewards won't remain in impossible territory for long.
  • hogunner wrote:
    For me there's a difference between "impossible to reach" rewards and "extremely hard to reach" rewards; unfortunately in all the current tournaments (and all the previous ones I've seen), the upper 5-10% of the rewards are impossible to reach. This isn't fun nor is it productive for the devs as if no one ever reaches that carrot they have dangling on that stick, then eventually the user base with get tired of chasing that always elusive carrot and quit caring. The rewards should never be impossible otherwise they're not rewards, so what's the point?

I believe the devs have put them so out of reach because they were/are unsure exactly how many points are possible to collect in their current system and didn't want the uber prizes to be too easy to achieve and accidentally flood the market. If this is true, then I'd suspect the rewards won't remain in impossible territory for long.

Agreed. I don't think they are so malicious as to intentionally place mission impossibles, but it's more like they are still feeling their way around the various point reward ranges for tournaments of different durations. As of now, they obviously cannot have everyone winning that Wolverine X card at the end of the reward chain, but they probably want it to be won by that 1 or 2 guys with a Herculean effort. Most likely start high a.k.a out of reach from everyone, then slowly adjust it downwards until a single guy or two wins it. Sure beats starting low, and have everyone and their extended family win it on Day 1... defeats the point of the exclusive cards.
  • Bombul wrote:
    hogunner wrote:

Agreed. I don't think they are so malicious as to intentionally place mission impossibles, but it's more like they are still feeling their way around the various point reward ranges for tournaments of different durations. As of now, they obviously cannot have everyone winning that Wolverine X card at the end of the reward chain, but they probably want it to be won by that 1 or 2 guys with a Herculean effort. Most likely start high a.k.a out of reach from everyone, then slowly adjust it downwards until a single guy or two wins it. Sure beats starting low, and have everyone and their extended family win it on Day 1... defeats the point of the exclusive cards.

Haha! Yeah, exactly! icon_e_smile.gif Plus as the player base increases and as players' covers get more powerful, the average achievable points total in the tournament seems to be rising (very slowly). So I would imagine that they have are being cautious about that as well.
  • The Ladder wrote:
    Everybody would hit the max rewards easily, in my opinion, if your system was adopted. I'm not sure the devs want to give everything away that easily.

I hit 1100 in the last event, but never got near 1200, c'est la vie.

then the devs are free to spread the gap between the reward tiers so that the progress is still in line with how often rewards are given out. I'd rather fight a lot with constant progression knowing that the reason i didnt get a reward was due to lack of attempts rather than due to the luck of me showing up from the rng in someones attack list at the wrong moment. the higher your tier points the more tempting a target you become... while that works great for pvp ladder balance it accelerates how fast the next tier becomes impossible.