Serious Gameplay

Options
Unknown
edited January 2014 in MPQ Tips and Guides
I started this game a few weeks ago, and I've started taking it pretty seriously.
I am working towards a 3 star team, and have placed in the top 45 for the past few events.

The problem is that I am running out of health packs, and hero points for shields while I can't play. This is seriously hindering my ability to stay truly competitive.

My question is, do you have any tips on how to stay serious about this game without spending money? Or is that not possible?

Comments

• You can't expect to compete with people that have been playing for 3-4 months when you've just been playing for two weeks.

Time represents money in this game and money represents power. So, there is only one way to 'speed up' that process. (hint: spend more real money)

You just have to keep plugging away and compete in every event you can and earn every reward you can (in the most efficient way possible)

Also, lean heavily on these forums to get information in how to be successful and not make common mistakes (wrong builds, etc).
  • mischiefmaker
    Options
    It's definitely possible to be competitive (meaning place in the top 45) without spending any (or very little) money.

If you're running out of health packs, you need to either rethink your team to include healing abilities, use boosts so that you can finish off the other team before they do significant damage to you, or change your playing habits so that you're playing shorter sessions more frequently.

If you're running out of hero points for shields, that's an indicator that you're spending too much on shields (assuming you're not an elder player swimming in hp and/or willing to pay for hp). At the 50/100/200 cost, it should be possible to break even or come out a bit ahead on shields and still get some 3* covers.
  • Also, you can just grab the low HP reward in a couple tournaments to build back up. Join a tournament fairly late, and 400-500 points is often enough to a top 45 win, so if you can get that at the end without shielding, you'll build your HP back up a bit.
  • I started about 3-4 weeks ago. I rarely buy shields, and can place in the top 5-25 regularly with the free 5 health packs that replenish and boosts. Don't expect to be #1, but if you use the strategies in this forum, and you can place high with a mid tier team and not spend $$$. It's all about timing - know when to grind and when to stay put at a point total where you won't get hit a lot.
  • n_colt99
    n_colt99 Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I am playing since December as well and am currently maxing out a 2* Team (CStorm/Thor/Wolverine/OBW). With this as posted above you should be save to place in the top 45 and even top 15 brackets if you join a pvp event limited to 200 players near the end. 500 Points should nail it and usually you would get 50 HP as event Bonus and 50/100 HP as Bonus for your final placing.

But you cant aim for 3* Teams immediately, try to take it step by step. Especially if you wont spend real money thats the only was icon_e_smile.gif

On another note you could try to make friends on facebook who play this game frequentely, so they will send you daily rewards regarding iso which will help you level up faster.

PM me if you want to do that.

Cheers and good luck icon_e_wink.gif
  • Thanks, all.

I think one of my main obstacles was the lack of covers. I had a successful 1 star team, but it was no match for the pvp events.

I am currently moving towards a 2 and 3 star team, and probably going to get a few more at the end of the events. I am probably going to put in $20 at some point, but thanks for the advice.
  • Keep grinding, with some luck and strategy you will get some good covers. I always leverage and invest in the buffed guys (ie. Ares) to win PVP with a mid tier team (high level one and two star guys). If you leverage the buffed characters, you should be able to place in the Top 15 and get a 3 star cover. That's how i built up my punisher and patch. be strategic about your matches - there's no skip tax, so skip on the teams you know will decimate your health. I pick teams to battle that have a good blend of pts (15-30) and are easily beatable. This means I can grind out more matches in the last couple hours.
  • I play very conservatively - I play with a healer (OBW or Spidey or 2*Wolvie until today's nerf or Daken) whenever I can, and if I can't, I heal them back up with a Venom run. This is a slow way to play, I think - it uses plenty of real time - but with the benefit that I can play a lot longer, often indefinitely, without having to stop and heal. As a result, I'm sitting on around 40 health packs; I can't use them up fast enough.

Tourney-wise, I can often get top 50 if I concentrate, top 150 if I don't. I'm also playing like a collector hound. I don't care if a character is not super-great, because I know D3 has an interest in making them all playable (and they get buffed for special events), so I keep them all around if I have roster space. That means a lot more covers are valuable to me. I'm playing mainly for covers (2*s or 3*s - 1*s turn into ISO-chow), and HP to go straight into roster space.

Finally, I tank, early and often. It works, and it's time-efficient.
  • I play conservatively as well biting off more than you can chew just results in you sitting twiddling your thumbs until you have healed up since you burned through your health packs.

Play with a healer is good advice if things aren't working out trying to use only sluggers. Try different strategies and characters to find something that suits your play style. Make every tile move count and make sure you understand your opponents capabilities as well as your own.