Feed Back on Powered Up Characters In Versus

I find this change extremely disruptive to PVP and is not a positive change. The last 3 pvp's of a season is also a ridiculous time to choose to test an adjustment this disruptive to the way the game functions. Coupled with de-powering very popular characters like MN Magneto and 4*Thor, this is disappointing at best.

I am playing the first time slice of the PVP for Classic Torch. The early stages were fine - people experimenting with new powered up characters. Then the "wall" appeared and it has never been this thick or this high before. This change has made it so if you do not have the selection of featured 3 stars turned into 4 stars maxed out on levels - you are not capable of competing.

In the past I was able to achieve the 950 point range using just Classic Storm and NM Magneto if I chose my battles judiciously and use shields carefully. Anticipating that team not working as well after the de-powering of NM Magneto I switched my character choices and was able to achieve the same amount of points using only 2 stars and 3 stars soft capped at level 94 to keep them evenly powered for PVE without destroying my MMR and chance of earning new characters.

This makes my roster diverse - I have every character except Devil Dino that has been released - but moderately powerful (Every characters is only level 94).

Now if you are competing against characters on a scale of 94 to 166, you can get by earning rewards up to about 800 points using shields. With this change that is no longer the case. Once you hit the wall - it is a sea of XForce/4hors with a different name because so many people have the larger variety of characters leveled to 166.

In an effort to force players to use a larger variety of characters in the top tiers - the little guy and new players got left behind. No maxed 2 star team (even the conveniently buffed Ares and a 2 Star Cap) is going to be able to handle a 3* Thor with 17000 hit points, now paired with a regenerating Patch Wolverine with 10000 hit points. To scale - my #* Thor is fully covered and Level 94. He has 8900 hit points buffed to level 145. He doesn't stand a snowballs chance in hell against his fully leveled counterpart. More so - the remainder of my roster was rendered useless during this event. I may have access to them, but they have no chance of success at what adds up to nothing but 4 star teams. At level 166 - there was still a chance that a good combo of mediocre characters at level 94 could do the job until you are ready and able to grow your roster. My season scores prove that. Increase the gulf by almost twice that - and you are instantly outclassed.

And Classic Torch? Well he is still being treated as the guy you were forced to drag along on teams despite the stated intent of this change. Precious few have bothered to invest iso into him - and fighting a new wave temporary 4 stars that the masses have access to reduces the value of a 4 star. What's the point in investing 470,000 iso in a character when you can get 3 different 3 stars for that that will temporarily be 4 stars from time to time? Pick up enough variety of them and you will always have a featured 4 star available under these rules.

I think this is a bad choice for the MPQ community. I'm all for promoting diversity on teams at all tiers, but that means making better characters (for example good job with Cyclops and Iron Fist) not buffing what is already there and devaluing the playability of the characters that already exist.

Comments

• I totally agree I don't have the greatest roster now MPQ made it even harder to climb in rank. they need to return to the old ways this sucks.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    So you've made the choice to **** your roster to do better in PVE.
    Which comes with the downside of not doing so great in PVP.

Sounds like it's working as intended?

Pick one or the other.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Read this excellent analysis on the benefits of this system by Northern polarity.
    viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26012
  • As with all major changes I do hope they look hard at the reward bands and make sure people are still earning enough to have fun, If this shift moves rewards from one group to a new group then the former ought to be concerned, and I hope D3 is keeping an eye on that situation.
  • And Classic Torch? Well he is still being treated as the guy you were forced to drag along on teams despite the stated intent of this change. Precious few have bothered to invest iso into him - and fighting a new wave temporary 4 stars that the masses have access to reduces the value of a 4 star. What's the point in investing 470,000 iso in a character when you can get 3 different 3 stars for that that will temporarily be 4 stars from time to time? Pick up enough variety of them and you will always have a featured 4 star available under these rules.

I am the outlier then. I do have a maxed torch. And in most featured tournaments me and my maxed torch would lose all day to loaner/270/270 teams. In this one Torch has friends who can keep up and I feel like having invested in the featured actually means something, where in the old system, having invested in x-force and someone else is all that mattered.
  • The analysis posted above does deal very clearly and make alot of useful sense to someone who is in the 3 star range looking to compete.

It does not address however the damage this transition does to the 2 star range characters. As I mentioned buffing Ares (arguably one of the strongest 2 stars) and we will give a better choice of OBW than 2 star cap and use OBW - can not hope to compete with a 10000 hp gulf created buffing 3 stars.

In the old environment 2 stars - with maxed levels and all their resources boosted could handle a 3 star team. This destroys that and creates a chasm between 2 and 3 star players. Crossing into 3 stars is already a long painful process for most beginning players. They want to use that hulk with 4 covers and start maxing him only to find themselves hopelessly out matched by vetrans until they have built him for months at times. If you have a few maxed 3 stars you are going to be good now and then. If you alot you will be good often. That has not changed. The bottom teirs though were left behind and not considered in this transition.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    The analysis posted above does deal very clearly and make alot of useful sense to someone who is in the 3 star range looking to compete.

It does not address however the damage this transition does to the 2 star range characters. As I mentioned buffing Ares (arguably one of the strongest 2 stars) and we will give a better choice of OBW than 2 star cap and use OBW - can not hope to compete with a 10000 hp gulf created buffing 3 stars.

In the old environment 2 stars - with maxed levels and all their resources boosted could handle a 3 star team. This destroys that and creates a chasm between 2 and 3 star players. Crossing into 3 stars is already a long painful process for most beginning players. They want to use that hulk with 4 covers and start maxing him only to find themselves hopelessly out matched by vetrans until they have built him for months at times. If you have a few maxed 3 stars you are going to be good now and then. If you alot you will be good often. That has not changed. The bottom teirs though were left behind and not considered in this transition.

If you were able to run a 170 MagStorm team this event against max Beast-Doc Ock-pick 3 more that stink, would you feel the same way?
  • Yes.
    It's not the fact that Mags/Storm (who post nerf can not compete the way they used to. Those two blue and a bunch of garbage red do change their ability to be used severely) could do well. Ares and 2 star cap are not bad 2 stars. They are buffed. They dont exactly compliment each other but they are good characters.

The issue is the glut of would be 4 stars made out of 3 stars is shutting out any 2 star teams from competition. I admit the self satisfied smirk when I killed someone's xforce with storm mags. I used to do it to annoy people who only played woth xforce for fun. But Ares OBW or Daken Thor could go a decent clip - into the 700's 800 on occassion.

Now that is gone. You either have the buffed maxed guys or you do not.
  • atomzed
    Yes.
    It's not the fact that Mags/Storm (who post nerf can not compete the way they used to. Those two blue and a bunch of garbage red do change their ability to be used severely) could do well. Ares and 2 star cap are not bad 2 stars. They are buffed. They dont exactly compliment each other but they are good characters.

The issue is the glut of would be 4 stars made out of 3 stars is shutting out any 2 star teams from competition. I admit the self satisfied smirk when I killed someone's xforce with storm mags. I used to do it to annoy people who only played woth xforce for fun. But Ares OBW or Daken Thor could go a decent clip - into the 700's 800 on occassion.

Now that is gone. You either have the buffed maxed guys or you do not.

Wait, on one hand you are saying that buffed Ares and Capt America are great. And I assume that you agree with northern polarity that the buffed 2* is equal or slightly better than the unbuffed 3*?

The power difference between the buffed 2* and buffed 3* is still the same as between unbuffed 2* and unbuffed 3*. If you have fought 3* and 4* team with 2* teams before , you still can do it with the buffed 2*.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,393 Chairperson of the Boards
    only people who like this are people who been here a year + or paid 100s of bucks to get a full team. They not only want all of the rewards in PVE now they want all of the rewards in PVP. It would been nice if i found this game a year ago, i would of got my moneys worth out of it, but how they are changing the rules and screwing people over i doubt we even see the game around by end of the year how it looks like it did now and 3 months ago)

The PVE will be replacement by gaunlet and Daily type matches. The PVP will be over powered by people who has here for 1+ year or who spent the most cash.

Got to love how they screw their customer base making people play every PVP thinking they have a chance of getting 4000 pts this season just to change the rules in the middle of the season and make it so you cant reach that 4000 pts now

Every PVP before the change 300 to 400. This pvp i cant even get over 200 pts without being hammered by everyone and knocked back down to under 100.

I find it funny how people say they Want PVE changed cause they dont like the Grind but they just took the PVP and turned it into a grindfest.
  • atomzed
    slidecage wrote:

I find it funny how people say they Want PVE changed cause they dont like the Grind but they just took the PVP and turned it into a grindfest.

How is this a grind fest now? Pvp still remains the same.

If you are having difficulty with this change it suggests that your roster is not diverse enough because you don't have those buffed characters.

When you have those buffed characters, you will have an easier time against those non buffed characters. You will get your then, be patient.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Let me get this straight
    You're intentionally holding your roster back by not leveling in excess of 94
    And you're upset that this change doesn't allow your self-handicapped roster to hit 950 points anymore

Lol
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,393 Chairperson of the Boards
    atomzed wrote:
    slidecage wrote:

If you are having difficulty with this change it suggests that your roster is not diverse enough because you don't have those buffed characters.

When you have those buffed characters, you will have an easier time against those non buffed characters. You will get your then, be patient.

so i can play 80% of the season thinking im going to make it to the 4000 pts and then get screwed over at the end . grindfest now cause if you had a good team you did not have to worry about being attacked Now with boosted people, those with those boosted can attack you and hurt you more now. Before the boosting i was maybe attacked 3 or 4 times and lost around 50 to 75 pts. I have lost almost 300 pts in this event.

so those people who had a good solid 3 to 4 person team maybe 5 or 6 who made 4000 pts or 5000 pts a season are now going to get ripped cause they dont have the right people boosted meaning they will no longer get the 4000 pts . If they did this at the start of the new season i would said

GO FOR IT

but changing it with a week to go when i thought i had a chance to get a 10 pack, you can say they screwed me over and made me was all of my time playing this season. Also this will be the new PVP and the DEADPOOL thing (gaunlet) will be the new PVE within the next 3 months i say, mostly killing this game for people looking to come into the game.
  • My only gripe is that of my own self-inflicted damage. I head 1k for the first time this season, because I focused my resources on a 5/5/3 Xforce, getting him to lvl 210 before the change. I have a maxed Laken and covers to make Patch, Cage, Doom and almost Hood, Loki, Mystique and others. The problem is, I fell for the pay to win scheme. Pumping money into a few top tiers and not worrying about having enough ISO to level others evenly. So, here I sit, in the first PVP shielded and 650. Again, totally self-inflicted. It's just frustrating that I was lead to believe that I could powerhouse with a few key characters and build my roster, when I should have done it balanced All along.
  • cletus1985
    cletus1985 Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    slidecage wrote:
    atomzed wrote:
    slidecage wrote:

so i can play 80% of the season thinking im going to make it to the 4000 pts and then get screwed over at the end . grindfest now cause if you had a good team you did not have to worry about being attacked Now with boosted people, those with those boosted can attack you and hurt you more now. Before the boosting i was maybe attacked 3 or 4 times and lost around 50 to 75 pts. I have lost almost 300 pts in this event.

so those people who had a good solid 3 to 4 person team maybe 5 or 6 who made 4000 pts or 5000 pts a season are now going to get ripped cause they dont have the right people boosted meaning they will no longer get the 4000 pts . If they did this at the start of the new season i would said

GO FOR IT

but changing it with a week to go when i thought i had a chance to get a 10 pack, you can say they screwed me over and made me was all of my time playing this season. Also this will be the new PVP and the DEADPOOL thing (gaunlet) will be the new PVE within the next 3 months i say, mostly killing this game for people looking to come into the game.

Maybe try leveling your 2 star.png characters instead of trying to skip that transition and go to 3 star.png ? As far as playing over a year or pumping money into the game goes, I've been playing 4 months and spent less than $20 strictly for some roster slots. I'm having no issues with this and I'm actually doing better than normal because I've leveled my roster to be as strong as possible.

You complain constantly about how they're keeping you down, when in fact you've simply handicapped yourself. It's not hard to figure out why you're constantly getting beat, but you won't admit to it and fix it. From one of your previous posts I realized we've been playing roughly the same amount of time, so your complaining is unjustified in almost every thread you post in.
  • Even with my own self handi cap I can hit 650 in this enviornment. getting a 10 pack is not an issue because i have a very broad roster my season scores for the last 2 seasons were 8500 and 9500. I can compete to a point with 2 star capped guys. I could always compete to a point. In fact i've used that many times as a tool to teach the farm alliance people of our top 100 alliance that you can do quite a bit with just 2 stars and 3 stars "****" as 2 stars. A broader roster is the advantage to a starting player - not reliance on a combo.