Tournament ranking point system

Options
Hi, I am reposting this here hoping that it gets more attention.

Firstly I'd like to say great game and it's nice to see devs responding to suggestions with patches fairly quickly.

The current system is as it should be for an adversarial game. The higher rank you are, the more skillful. So you gain less points when challenging lower ranked opponents and more points from higher ranks. Unfortunately, skill only goes one way because you can't defend yourself. This is a key flaw in the system as it stands.

What this means is, skillful players are punished in the long run. With skill, you can defeat higher level opponents and gain ranks quickly. But because you can't defend yourself, you are in effect making yourself a target for higher level teams who will have less trouble beating you than another target of the same rank because your team is lower leveled and ai is a constant.

For example, I generally take on higher level ranked teams whenever I can(usually when they challenge me). This results in my rank going up pretty quickly but as soon as I hit the 900 range I become a target since I use a team of around lvl 25-30 heroes. This means that I get swamped by teams from the 600-700 rankings who are fielding much higher level teams and I lose points quickly(around 30/loss).

There's no easy fix but I though it might help if total team level difference was a factor in determining points. So you get more points for defeating a higher ranked, higher leveled team than you would a higher ranked, lower leveled team.

This would mean that skillful players are rewarded for taking on more difficult challenges. Those who want to target lower level teams are rewarded less.

I'm not sure how well this could be implemented and there would be math involved in determining how much of a factor team level should be but I think it would be an improvement since currently, being good tends to punish you.

Hopefully, my suggestion will be considered and even if not implemented, perhaps it will inspire a better idea. Thanks for reading!

Comments

• I do agree with you, I'm playing a team that is totally depending on skills and I made it to #3 in the shield training ranking. I have a one star in my team while most high rankers are bruiser Thor & Ragnarok. Making me an easy target as my Ai are not that smart icon_razz.gif but I do like to kick those high rankers bruiser butts, it is challenging.
  • I do agree with you, I'm playing a team that is totally depending on skills and I made it to #3 in the shield training ranking. I have a one star in my team while most high rankers are bruiser Thor & Ragnarok. Making me an easy target as my Ai are not that smart icon_razz.gif but I do like to kick those high rankers bruiser butts, it is challenging. To fight them again to gain more points
  • You are asking for segregation? They already implemented this to a degree, but I don't know the details Other than being pools of 200 players. I do know that I got #1 in the Arena event with a lvl2 Modern Widow.

There are already penalties for attacking low rank players. You can't defend yourself, true, but neither can they. I abused this from players who aren't aware or just don't care. Find a high rank player with a beatable team. Win 30 points. They revenge and you lose 10. Repeat for a gain of 20 each time.

The other end doesn't look pretty. I tried attacking low rank players. Not worth it if they revenge, because this ends in a net loss or just very little gain. Even if it's a very easily beatable team, I still don't bother.
  • No, that's not what I meant. The brackets are a completely different topic. I'm suggesting modification to the way points are calculated to take into account level difference between attacker and defender. In a normal ranking system, skill is what determines how well you do but since you can't defend yourself, using levels as a modifier seems like a reasonable compromise.

If you get to higher ranks with a lower level team you should be rewarded more than someone who gets to the same rank with a max level team of legendary characters. This is because everyone basically is controlled by AI and by having a lower level team you are likely to get attacked more and cannot defend yourself.

Since it would be unrealistic to actually have match ups to defend yourself all the time, my suggestion is to award more points to low level teams that defeat higher level ones. And award less points when higher level teams beat lower level ones. Of course, current ranking would be the larger modifier in determining the actual points awarded.

Currently, if you have a choice of two targets, where target A has a combined level of 50 and ranked 900 and target B has a combined level of 200 and ranked 901, attacking either target will net you the same amount of points. I am suggesting it would be better if points took into account the level difference between your team and your target when calculated.

For example if your teams combined level was 150, you would gain more points attacking team B. A bonus for taking on a harder challenge if you like. So basically, if your team beat an equal level team, points would be as it is now depending on rank. If your team is lower level, you get a bonus based on the level difference and vice versa. So while target A is an easy kill, target B would get you more points if you won.

This way, people who want easy fights can go for equal or lower level teams ranked above them for the points and people who like a challenge can take on higher level teams at that rank and be rewarded accordingly. Also, attacking lower ranked players with higher level teams would get you more points than currently since you get a bonus for defeating higher level teams.

I think skill should be rewarded. Yes, the AI controls everyone so it's fair in a way but there's nothing wrong with trying to improve a system even though it is already working decently.