Idea: One minute defence loss shield

Square
Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
A lot of complaints come up here about how when you shield jump, sometimes you gain 30 points, while losing 100 or more points in the time you're fighting. The last big shield jump I got over confident with, I made it past 1,000 for the cover I wanted, and was beaten back to the low 900s on the next match.

Some have suggested that you only can be attacked by one at a time, but this just doesn't work because people queue you up, and it could only be done if you were unqueuable. Using the current shield system, there could be a way to bring balance while still requiring paid for shields.

This idea came to me yesterday. At first, I thought a five minute shield, then I lowered it to a three minute one, and finally to a very reasonable one minute one.

If you lose a defensive match, you get a one minute shield. That's all. If you're unshielded, you'll take a beating in general, but it would give protection from being MPQ gang banged by people hungry for points when you drop in after a shield. It's not going to save your game, but it would give a cushion to players who spend lots of HP on the game on shields. It's such a little thing, but it would make a noticeable difference in the games of high scorers who get attacked, but at the same time make higher scores possible for other players.

Comments

• I like this, quite a lot really. A very clever way to prevent the demoralizing minus 150 in the blink of an eye. I do see how it would be possible for the insanely coordinated alliances might try to game this feature, so my advice to D3 would be go ahead and implement something like this, but don't announce it and don't make matches that bounce off this passive shield show up in the "you have been attacked" log. The less people realize there is a mechanic like this in the game the less people will try to find ways to abuse it and the meanwhile everyone can benefit from a little less feeding frenzy losses, and it should inject a few more points into the pool so we might see slightly higher scores too.
  • Square
    feeding frenzy losses
    A much more eloquent term than my MPQ gang bang one icon_e_smile.gif I'll switch it to that in the future if I use it!
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    The thing I am always climbing the walls over are all the notifications I have to click through after I win a fight and before I can shield again. For the love of God, let's get our frickin priorities straight here. Let me shield, then I would love to have a leisurely discussion about sharing a reward with my facebook friends, claiming rewards offered by my legion of adoring friends, claiming a team up, or for you to reprimand me for having a full set of team ups so (darn) I am going to miss out on a moonstone team-up this match.

I resent all the extra garbage you put between me and my shield. Especially when these things are semi-random pains that I can't anticipate before I start a match or preemptively say I don't want to be bothered with until I am shielded again.
  • Oh no..

Whatever will mass snipers do if your idea comes into play? icon_lol.gif

DO IT!
  • Square
    Boosting this idea again since the current 'fixes' have messed up PVP so bad. Health has gone up, boosts have been decreased, XF has been ubernerfed...Matches have gotten slower. The opportunity for sniping is as bad as ever. This implementation won't solve the dissatisfaction, but it would work as a bandage.