To those complaining about shield training rewards:

Options
Unknown
edited January 2014 in MPQ Tips and Guides
The top training progression rewards, and those in tournaments, are not unreachable. There's a net gain situation going on with ranking points. If you get up to a high enough ranking, nobody will be worth any ranking points any more. At this point, put up a tank team (or just get to this point with a tank team, since personally I find it makes the game challenging enough to be fun) and wait a while. The people topping the leaderboard will have a higher ranking than you did. When you climb past them again, you'll cap at a higher ranking than before.

Effectively, you can drag the top of the leaderboard up with you, and this is what you have to do in order to reach the higher progression rewards. This works in tournaments, too. Since there's no reward for being at the top of shield training, it's to your advantage to put out a tank team when you're done (although you should do this in tournaments to help out others too)!

Comments

• NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Did they change this in a recent patch? I believe that after a certain point more points are lost than gained, making there be an equilibrium score of sorts. (Example: If you're at 1500 points and someone attacks you for 30 points, but you lose 40 points), making it impossible to get the higher tier rewards. Judging by the current leaderboards, it should be somewhere around 1k points, hence why you see so few people above it.
  • Yeggy
    Yeggy Posts: 81
    Options
    I am not sure how that would work, but I checked the top ranks on the SHIELD and the top guys have around 1400-1500. First Uncommon cover you can get is at 1600 (Yellow Thor).

So How exactly would tanking help anyone (everyone?) get the higher rewards? I mean, I am pretty sure that the people who want those uncommons are people who have **** commons or want to complete That Thor or Wolverine.

At 1100 You get a Pink Hawkeye (Classic). What? I am assuming that people who would want to reach that goal are people who are playing with unmaxed commons.... good luck there.

I just don't understand the rewards and the required rating balanced with it in mind. I've been playing for 8 days and I almost got all the common tokens from prologue and I've seen enough Hawkeye covers to get 2 or 3 of them maxed. I am would like to maybe get those Thor covers so I can get an uncommon that's can go higher level than my commons. Am I suppose to reach 1700 Rating with 3 Commons vs people wielding 2* and 3* at 80s and such? And if they ARE tanking, why is no one above around 1500-ish rating?

My view point is of course biased, unexperienced and in likely won't represent the majority of the players. That being said, I think the rating does not appropriately match the rewards being given. This from the standpoint of who I think would want to get these rewards. Who would grind to 700 to get a pink Black Widow (Modern) when it's just easier to get it from Prologue?

What do you think? How far has anyone gotten with merely commons?
  • NorthernPolarity
    Options
    Yeggy wrote:
    I am not sure how that would work, but I checked the top ranks on the SHIELD and the top guys have around 1400-1500. First Uncommon cover you can get is at 1600 (Yellow Thor).

So How exactly would tanking help anyone (everyone?) get the higher rewards? I mean, I am pretty sure that the people who want those uncommons are people who have **** commons or want to complete That Thor or Wolverine.

At 1100 You get a Pink Hawkeye (Classic). What? I am assuming that people who would want to reach that goal are people who are playing with unmaxed commons.... good luck there.

I just don't understand the rewards and the required rating balanced with it in mind. I've been playing for 8 days and I almost got all the common tokens from prologue and I've seen enough Hawkeye covers to get 2 or 3 of them maxed. I am would like to maybe get those Thor covers so I can get an uncommon that's can go higher level than my commons. Am I suppose to reach 1700 Rating with 3 Commons vs people wielding 2* and 3* at 80s and such? And if they ARE tanking, why is no one above around 1500-ish rating?

My view point is of course biased, unexperienced and in likely won't represent the majority of the players. That being said, I think the rating does not appropriately match the rewards being given. This from the standpoint of who I think would want to get these rewards. Who would grind to 700 to get a pink Black Widow (Modern) when it's just easier to get it from Prologue?

I believe that this is what most players think. I also thought that the system was pretty stupid: I remember grinding up to 400 or so during my early days though, so you can at least get some 1* covers that you are missing. The event just needs to be seriously looked at and rebalanced. In its current form, it should act as a transition for new characters to pvp tournaments by making the uncommon covers actually obtainable for them.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Options
    Yeggy wrote:

I believe that this is what most players think. I also thought that the system was pretty stupid: I remember grinding up to 400 or so during my early days to get some storm/im35 covers that i was missing, but that was about it. The event just needs to be seriously looked at and rebalanced. In its current form, it should act as a transition for new characters to pvp tournaments by making the uncommon covers actually obtainable for them.
  • This works if you puts a shield on to protect your points, but it seems as if shielded people do not appear anymore for fights since last update (and shield are not available in shield training anymore.
  • I'm not sure which bracket you're all in, but after doing this on and off yesterday, the entire top 10 in my bracket are above 1300 and the leader is past 1400. Yesterday, the leader had a significant lead and was hovering about ~1250, with the others at about 1100 or so. I have noticed that I managed to drop from about 1500 points to 850 overnight, but I'm pretty sure this is still a net gain situation, even if it takes time. I also noticed occasionally that when I was close to the top of the bracket, I would be matched with players with much higher rankings (17-1800), but who were in a different bracket. Maybe this is what's adding points into the "economy" of the bracket I was in?
  • If this actually worked, people would have gotten to higher tiers since Day 1. But the leaderboard has routinely stayed in the 1400-1500 range since the very beginning of this game launching.

The only time that changed was the brief period of time (4 days?) where shields were allowed to be used.
  • With the way rating progression scales as you get higher (i.e. poorly), there was just no reason for me to go above ~500 rating in the shield training room when the rewards were all pointless. Much more profitable to play the daily events to 400-500 points for a Heroic Token/2* Cover and 50 HP. I can't imagine why I'd jump back into Shield training.
  • 1500 is easy. The 2400+ are reallyyyy hard to get to, though. I got to 2000, went to sleep, lost 400 points. Played for a good while, got to 2000, later that day, lost 400 again. Tried for like a week, and gave up.

I miss shields on the shield training.