Thoughts on web / charge tiles --

FaustianDeal
FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
During a discussion about charge tiles (can't imagine why people are having those today) I had a few ideas I wanted to bounce around. The two special types are similar in some ways, but different in others, and both could stand to benefit by borrowing, conceptually, from each other.

Web Tiles
Powers exist that have threshold situations (kickers) based on the number of web tiles. (e.g., Venom swallows with 6)
No benefit/penalty is incurred by matching webs.
This makes the number of characters who interact with web tiles very small. that's too bad.

Charge Tiles
No powers exist with thresholds (kickers) based on charge tiles.
Benefits are gained by matching charge tiles (Triple AP/triple damage). These benefits are gained by anyone matching.
More characters can interact with charge tiles, but the absence of 'kickers' reduces their 'flavor'

Here are my ideas for how to spice up both tile types:

Web:
Add a penalty for matching. Maybe reduce match damage by some percentage, or reduce the AP gained by -1. Conceptually this is like getting 'caught' in the web again. Think of it like a 'visible trap'

Charge:
Add thresholds to powers or characters. Rags new boost healing could impart some quantity of 'true' healing if there were say 10+ charge tiles. Or conversely Rags could 'overload' of there are more than 12. An eventual Gambit could have a damage power that is able to go from single target to AOE if there are enough charge tiles for him to throw.

Comments

• Square
    Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    Web:
    Add a penalty for matching. Maybe reduce match damage by some percentage, or reduce the AP gained by -1. Conceptually this is like getting 'caught' in the web again. Think of it like a 'visible trap'
    How about making matching them a one turn stun? Caught in the web, so to speak.
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    a 1-turn stun could be good. The piece that I was liking (tying it back to how web/charge tiles can/should be similar) would be the double-edged nature of the penalty. Doesn't matter which team makes the match; the person matching it away gets 'caught'.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,214 Chairperson of the Boards
    I really like both these ideas. There really should be some additional value in Web tiles, and this idea of stunning the character who matches a web tile is a great idea. Not as thrilled with the reduced damage or lowered AP gain though.

And Smite does change based on the number of tiles, though it's more like Spiderman's Snarky Remark, All Tied Up, or Spider-Sense. I do agree that Lightning Rod could use a boost to it's healing if X charged tiles are in play. Godlike Power could be more fun if it destroyed every vertical column that has a charge tile in it, imagine the fun he could be paired with 4* Thor with an ability like that!