Player Council

Demiurge, I love your game. However it has become more and more clear that there is little to no play testing done before reelase as nerfs, buffs, and new characters are released either very broken, or able to break other characters because of their abilities.

I have a suggestion for you... we as the community noticed some of these broken combos immediately after the abilities were uncovered, and it was even discussed extensively! I recently quit a game that I played for nearly 3 years, and one thing this company did (5th Planet Games, i'm sure you're familiar with them) did an amazing thing that utilized their player base for suggestions.... they formed a player council. This was a group of 6-8 veteran players who love to play the game, but are also some of the bigger theory crafters, and tutorial creators, and usually very involved in the community (Think Polarity, and several other great community pillars).

Put together applications for the community to apply to become part of this council, and the duties of this council would be to look at new and upcoming content (under an NDA agreement of course) and to provide feedback, and possibly playtesting if possible, before the content is released with the intent to discover any possible issues. I am certain that several people would jump at this opportunity, and it would show great faith in the community, and a desire to please the player base as well as create great content, and revenue because people enjoy your game icon_e_smile.gif

Comments

• SymmeTrey
    SymmeTrey Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    This is a great idea. This would have prevented many recent missteps... I get it, it's hard to see things from the perspective of high tier players while you are involved in the "nuts and bolts" of building the game. Let players help you, it's like free work and free information. You don't have to take the players advice, but, more information in advance of releasing stuff to the masses can only help.
  • I'm in put me on that council.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,214 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think this type of thing would be better relegated to a nomination process rather than by volunteer only.
  • Having an outside group of people not on payroll that they can discuss the nuts and bolts with in a free and open manner would be great, as it is now I get the feeling there is quite a lot of behind the scenes that the general community is intentionally kept in the dark on. So they release some information but hold some back as well. The forumers can complain all they like when they only know half a story but it is possible it makes perfect sense when all the information is weighed. But it makes sense why there is always going to be some level of information they are never going to make fully public knowledge.
  • up voted enough in feb Q & A but not addressed, whole Nerf issue could of been side stepped with wisdom.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pwuz_ wrote:
    I think this type of thing would be better relegated to a nomination process rather than by volunteer only.
    Unfortunately, the people who'd probably get nominated would be the high profile members of the community who spend most of their days posting dissertations as to why every character needs to be nerfed. As much as I hate what D3 has done with this latest round of changes, I have no confidence it'd be any better with guys like them offering input.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would imagine this is a no go for the same reason they dislike the whole spoilers thing.
  • I would imagine this is a no go for the same reason they dislike the whole spoilers thing.

Hence NDAs for anyone who would participate. I for one wouldn't want to have any run ins with Marvels legal department so only idiots would actually spoiler anything.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would imagine this is a no go for the same reason they dislike the whole spoilers thing.

Hence NDAs for anyone who would participate. I for one wouldn't want to have any run ins with Marvels legal department so only idiots would actually spoiler anything.

If it's just gameplay, there is no need to reveal the marvel content. Just do what icex has done, reveal the character moves without revealing the identity of the character.
  • Bumping this. Not sure how devs respond to these types of suggestions, but I do feel like this is a good one icon_e_smile.gif