PvP variety: roster salary caps

El Satanno
El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
This idea occurred to me quite recently, and although I suspect it may have come up by someone else before I didn't see it on the first couple pages, so here goes:

As we all surely know by now, PvP continues to be utterly controlled by no other team than Featured + X-Force + 4or. This is a formula that is completely without exception in every format, every bracket, and every time slice. This creates tedium, frustration, boredom and many more negative feelings which have caused numerous players to feel that PvP is a meaningless exercise. This is especially true in relation to people without these two overwhelmingly powerful characters. To this end, I propose a fairly simple solution which ought to encourage more variety in team composition without locking out anyone's hard-earned 4* characters.

Simply put, I suggest a salary cap of 10 stars for PvP. That's it. Choose any characters you like, but their rarity total as measured in stars must not exceed 10. So long as the format for events remains the same, that means you can take either X-Force or 4or into battle, but not both. In SHIELD Simulator, this means that you could take Xor on up the ladder, but you'd have to add a 2* in.

I could be just guessing, but I think it's not unreasonable to say that a whole hell of a lot more players will feel that they can be competitive at a high level when they won't have to stare down the barrel of both of the undisputed champions of the game. Even those who are packing that combo would (hopefully) relish the idea of not playing against...The same. Exact. Team. Every. Single. Match.

To head off at least one likely counter-point, I do know that there will still be a preferred lineup which will surely pop up most often. Yes, I can also guess it will be X-Force and Iron Fist. Even so, since we can only have either X-Force or 4or, this may very well make the featured character relevant to the decision. If I may be so bold, one might even consider taking someone besides X-Force/4or in! You never know since we're talking about having only one in there.

Comments

• Zen808
    Zen808 Posts: 260
    Drop the Cap to 9 with no Featured Character and kick in some kind of bonus for coming below the Cap and you might have an interesting Off-Season event, in the vein of Combined Arms and Balance of Power.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    I personally like the idea. I enjoyed the Patch pvp tremendously became he locked out Xforce, and he allows different team combis to flourish. I seen Daredevil-patch, hulk-patch, doom-patch, spidey-patch.... It was very fun.

Having a 10 star cap may increase the variety.

Playing devil's advocate, if they implement your idea, there will be a certain group of people who will voice their dissent loudly. About how they spend their time and energy and money to level up their 4*, and D3 stops them from playing the characters.
  • El Satanno
    Drop the Cap to 9 with no Featured Character and kick in some kind of bonus for coming below the Cap and you might have an interesting Off-Season event, in the vein of Combined Arms and Balance of Power.

Why stop there? The main point I was making was that we're tired of seeing nothing but the same team. The events you mentioned already exist to break up the monotony in their rare appearances, perhaps specifically so. Unless I'm mistaken, they're quite popular, too. So why not switch things up to make every event more palatable?
    atomzed wrote:
    I personally like the idea. I enjoyed the Patch pvp tremendously became he locked out Xforce, and he allows different team combis to flourish. I seen Daredevil-patch, hulk-patch, doom-patch, spidey-patch.... It was very fun.

Having a 10 star cap may increase the variety.

You too? icon_e_biggrin.gif I really enjoyed getting a chance to run my old favorite Patch/Black Panther combo for more than just climbing or grins. Without the specter of X-Force to make 4or a vomit-induing 270 wall, I was actually eager to see what kind of combos would be up at the top. Indeed, it was a really fun event.
    atomzed wrote:
    Playing devil's advocate, if they implement your idea, there will be a certain group of people who will voice their dissent loudly. About how they spend their time and energy and money to level up their 4*, and D3 stops them from playing the characters.

It almost goes without saying that some people will complain about anything. However that, if I can toot my own horn a bit, is the beauty of this suggestion. No one is stopping anyone from playing any of their characters any more than the loose equivalent of not being able to run multiple versions of the same character. Yes, that's not an entirely fair comparison but I hope you can see what I mean. You can still play your 4or, or X-Force, or Fury, or Elektra...hahahaha, no one plays Elektra...excuse me...you just can't play them all at the same time.

I daresay it might even make the 4* more valuable if you have several in that after you roll up the charts with 4or and she gets tired, you can swap in X-Force with some of your other 3* and keep on climbing. You might even feel more confident doing so, as you know that the next guy along won't have a team capable of indiscriminately stomping all over yours. After all, the only counter to Xor is Xor, whereas I'm sure the great minds on this forum can think of several counters to X-Force/Iron Fist, or 4or/Hood, or Starlord/Doc Ock... icon_lol.gif
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    El Satanno wrote:

Why stop there? The main point I was making was that we're tired of seeing nothing but the same team. The events you mentioned already exist to break up the monotony in their rare appearances, perhaps specifically so. Unless I'm mistaken, they're quite popular, too.
    I think they're popular among the masses, because most people only have 2* rosters. But this event doesn't seem like it'd appeal to either camp. The casual masses will still get beaten by veterans, and the veterans will be annoyed by the roster limitations.

I still prefer the diversity idea I offered in a different thread a little while ago. Give people point bonuses for winning fights with seldom-used characters. This provides a strong motivation without forcing anything on anyone.
  • Each star level would have to have its own list of seldom used to get bonus points. Because overall x-force and Goddess are actually rare, they just all congregate at the top of an event so they seem common.
  • or make it a special challenge in each event for better rewards, enter normal or 9* challenge
  • El Satanno
    simonsez wrote:
    I think they're popular among the masses, because most people only have 2* rosters. But this event doesn't seem like it'd appeal to either camp. The casual masses will still get beaten by veterans, and the veterans will be annoyed by the roster limitations.

Maybe, maybe not. I've got a rather robust 3* roster and a developed X-Force, and I love these events because they offer variety. Yes, the casual masses will still get beaten, but my point isn't to un/balance things. I'm talking about working more variety in on a regular basis. I guess with the 4or nerf we might get that anyway...
    I still prefer the diversity idea I offered in a different thread a little while ago. Give people point bonuses for winning fights with seldom-used characters. This provides a strong motivation without forcing anything on anyone.

I hear you, and I recall reading that idea elsewhere, or a similar one, at least. I'm all for it. Thing is, it would have to be a pretty hefty bonus to draw people away from the obvious Xor combo. My suggestion just makes it a necessity.
  • Just going to toss this out there... a 9* tournament will just be SexGoddess + Mstorm or Mwidow.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    j12601 wrote:
    Just going to toss this out there... a 9* tournament will just be SexGoddess + Mstorm or Mwidow.
    Hmmm... If we're talking post-nerf, I'm thinking XF/CMag/OBW or XF/IF/BabyThor or Ares
  • When I try to go on through my favorites section, it takes me somewhere thats NOT PVP.
    I have to lookup polevaultpowerforum to get here.
    Why?