Lightning round basic math: two 0.7% rolls > one 1% roll

There has been a long standing problem with the lightning round reward tiers:

Rank 9–25: 500 Iso-8 and 1 lightning round token (1% draw chance for featured 3 stars)
Rank 26–50: 500 Iso-8 and 2 heroic tokens (0.7% draw chance for all 3 star characters)

Basic math dictates that the rank 26–50 rewards are better than the rank 9–25 rewards in every possible manner. Pick any 2, 3, or 4 star character in game, featured or not, and you will have a higher chance of acquiring that character with 2 heroic tokens instead of 1 lightning round token. A placement in rank 9–25 must grant at least 2 lightning round tokens in order to be competitive—just in featured characters—with rank 26–50 rewards. This will of course necessitate an increase in rank 1–2 and 3–8 rewards. Whatever happens, something must be done to fix the current reward structure because it is an affront to basic math sensibility.

Comments

• Bumping this post because I just got screwed again by placing 16th in a lightning round.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,214 Chairperson of the Boards
    Remember when Lightning Round Rewards were guaranteed covers? Ever since I've been leveled well enough to compete, Lighting Rounds have just been another weekly Iso farm. But I remember my early days in MPQ when I would pine for those guaranteed covers that were on offer.

Though back then 10-packs would also include 1 guaranteed cover for the Event Hero. As much as some things have gotten amazingly better in MPQ, some things certainly feel like a step back.
  • One suggestion I've hear that would mean not having to rebalance the other awards would be to offer a LR token and a heroic at 9-25. That way, it's still better than the 26-50 prize, but not quite as good as the 3-8 one.
  • Resurrecting this thread because I just noticed that the rank 9–25 rewards for lightning rounds have been increased to 2 event tokens. Kudos to the developers for fixing this!
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    ... now if only they would revert LR back to the way it used to be before the matchmaking changes, so that you don't have to slog your way through battle after battle against lv249 teams, it'd actually be worth it to go for a top25 finish.