Pay for Points in PVE

Just a wild idea: what if you could pay for points in a given pve event?

I know that people will say "this makes the game even more p2w" but you could set a limitation to buying points once per pve. An alternative could also be that you can't play pve for a certain time after buying the points. This gives players a chance if they don't wanna do that last minute grind or can't play for a certain period of time to not drop 50 ranks while you're gone.

Comments

• I mean absolutely no offense...but that sounds horrifying.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Can you elaborate on your idea? My initial reaction is negative, but maybe I'm not getting how it would be implemented and to what end. Are you basically trying to make a means for folks to buy their way through an amount of time where they can't play, but retain some level of placement?

If that's the case, then I think they get more out of people playing on the new relaxed refresh schedule than having people pay to not play...
  • Instead of pay for points, what if they just handed out a 1/1/1 to like... everyone at the end of events. Then you could pay for covers instead of needing to pay for 50th place for covers.

imcoin.png for PvE points would be a terrible terrible idea. If you want points, you should have to play for them. You can already pay for points to the limited extent that a +AP All +AP greentile.png / blacktile.png can basically kill anyone, but you do have to actually clear the nodes.
  • jackstar0 wrote:
    Can you elaborate on your idea? My initial reaction is negative, but maybe I'm not getting how it would be implemented and to what end. Are you basically trying to make a means for folks to buy their way through an amount of time where they can't play, but retain some level of placement?

If that's the case, then I think they get more out of people playing on the new relaxed refresh schedule than having people pay to not play...
    That was kind of what i was thinking. And at dearbluey, i take no offense, just wondering how that would change pve I think it would generate a profit for the devs and gives others a chance to have a break, but i don't want people to buy their way to victory.
  • I don't think it would do anything because by default all the people playing competitively would buy the points...hence if everyone buys it (and there is a point buying cap per pve event) well then no advantage was gained except over those that can't afford or won't buy points.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think it would do anything because by default all the people playing competitively would buy the points...hence if everyone buys it (and there is a point buying cap per pve event) well then no advantage was gained except over those that can't afford or won't buy points.

Reading this made me think of Come Fly With Me.
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    I'd be okay with the concept of paying for points in order to get a progression reward that you wouldn't otherwise reach, but I would not be in favor of those points helping you get ahead of another player in the competitive reward structure. So sure, buy 10,000 points and get to that last cover reward, but that sandboxes you out of the competitive rewards for that event.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Not a great idea in my opinion. It doesn't make it "more pay to win"... it makes it pay to win.

Because no matter how hard I grind, someone who does exactly the same thing I do AND buys the extra points always finishes ahead of me. Therefore, buying points becomes required in order to get the top finisher award. (Because if you don't, the other guy who did will pass you.)

Any change where something purchased becomes 100% essential to obtaining anything that otherwise would be obtained by normal game play isn't a good change in my book.

(I do feel for you in wanting just that little more to push you into the next bracket, or the next progression award. It can be super frustrating.)
  • Katai
    Katai Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Yeesh, the state of the game must be really bad if people are literally requesting to pay money to NOT play the game.
  • Katai wrote:
    Yeesh, the state of the game must be really bad if people are literally requesting to pay money to NOT play the game.
    I'm not requesting, just wanted to see other's inputs. I would probably never use this feature unless i had to in order to keep a certain reward tier.
  • I'm new around here, so my opinion probably means squat... but it seems like the game is already geared toward paying for advancement.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    The grind would be exactly the same - you'd just have to spend hero points ALSO.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you're willing to actually pay so that you don't have to play, it's time for you to find a different game to play.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,214 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm new around here, so my opinion probably means squat... but it seems like the game is already geared toward paying for advancement.

I'm of the opinion that all opinions are worth their respective value regardless off time around here.

For the most part this game is better than most F2P games in terms of being possible to play and grow without paying for advancement. Paying simply expedites collection of resources which can be earned in game, it's simply slower. I've yet to spend any money on the game and don't feel I've been disadvantaged. It took me months to build up my 1st 3 star character, but have now gotten 16 to that point.

If anything they have made the game easier to build those 3 stars with the Deadpool Daily and Alliance Rewards. Be patient, your time will come.