Challenging or frustrating? Fun or not?

There is a very fine line in many games between challenging and frustrating. I have never simultaneously loved and hated a game to such extremes as I do with Marvel Puzzle Quest. All games can be frustrating at times. I'll be the first to admit that sometimes that can have less to do with the game and more to do with my mood. And there are always going to be highs and lows of enjoyment. That said, there are times playing MPQ when I want to find out where the developers live, go to their houses and punch them all repeatedly in the face!

Now I know that sounds angry and excessive. I'm sure it probably is. But before you dismiss me as just another troll, hear me out. I'm not trying to turn this into just another angry rant. I'm not a violent person. I've never so much as been in a fight in my life. And I'd never assault anyone for anything as unimportant as a game. Yet I can't deny that I continue to have those feelings. The question is: why? Why do I always end up feeling that way playing MPQ when no other game (and like most, I've played a LOT of others) provokes me like that. And why do I keep coming back?

Why do I keep coming back? Well, there are a lot of good things about MPQ. The 3v3 team dynamic is way better than the 1v1 traditional match 3 format. I love trying out different team combos and seeing how they work in different situations. And as a Marvel fan, I enjoy collecting covers and getting new characters. In that way, MPQ is quite addictive!

But this is what I've observed: The quantity of fun I experience when I'm enjoying the game pales in comparison to the quantity of frustration (obviously not fun) I experience. However, I experience the game as fun a lot more of the time than I find it frustrating. I just wish there was something that could be done to mitigate the bad luck when it goes extremely bad.

I'm not saying that the game should be easier. But there must be ways to curb the huge "eff you!" effect the game occasionally throws at the player. Maybe more abilities along the lines of Loki's 'mischief' ability. That's a great example of a conciliatory ability which helps to soften the blow when your opponent gets lucky. Like how some pinball machines give you an extra ball if the last one didn't last more than 10 seconds. Basically, I think the game needs to slant towards the player in terms of luck, because they experience fun or frustration (the AI doesn't). Maybe some kind of 'nuke' ability similar to Deadpool's 'whales! whales! whales!', but it wouldn't be attached to any one character. It could be given a 12h or 24h timer so it could only be used once a day.

The point is, there are ways it can be done. And it seems to me it could only help the game be more profitable. Because the happier and less frustrated players are, the more likely they are to spend money on the game instead of deleting it!

Also, the less likely I am to show up at your house, looking like the Hulk and wanting to punch you in the face! icon_e_wink.gif

Comments

• Virus_Type_V
    Virus_Type_V Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    This game makes you want to throw your phone at a brick wall...
  • They claim the tiles that drop are "random" ... yea sure it is. They admited on their Q&A video that they can alter the chances of which tile drop, so there is no question why sometimes, if not most of the tiles the casacdes favour the AI.
    Look at what happens most times when you cast Illusions, or Godlike power, AI always makes miracle cascades.
  • This game makes you want to throw your phone at a brick wall...
    i know the feeling sometimes you just want the cascades to stop.
  • Virus_Type_V
    Virus_Type_V Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    for me, its more of when you have 2 turns to kill a red countdown tile and its the only red tile on the board...
  • finishing a match, watching the progression bar fill all the way and give a checkmark, waiting for the reward to show up and then realizing you have already been hit and just don't know it yet because of serverlag
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,393 Chairperson of the Boards
    This game makes you want to throw your phone at a brick wall...

i flick off my pc everytime they get a major match LOL i could never play this in public on a phone cause i be cussing a lot icon_e_smile.gif