sell starlord cover?

Options
san
san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
edited March 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Well, my alliance managed a top 100 season score once again, and now I'm stuck with a Star Lord cover, and no roster spot. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I couldn't buy a roster slot with the 1600+HP, or sell off an undercovered or useless 3* (no, I will not sell my level 10 juggs or any of the maxed 2* on the roster, lol), it's just that I see this character as too much of a waste. Even Squirrel Girl has a spot (at 3/0/0), though if I were to use the SL cover, I'd be selling her... I am looking at how slow it is to build a solid 4*, and just don't know if he's worth it... For me, I won't be scoring 1000pts in PVP any time soon, so it's HP, progression, and Lady Luck I look to when covering a 4*...

Now, I'm no longer a small fish. Granted, I only carry one 166 on my roster (DP), but it's still fairly solid and competitive for top 25/50 in most PvPs. I just prefer to hoard the HP to work on my XF one cover at a time... Is anyone else with me on this? Did anyone else end up selling their SL cover for the nice and tasty 1000 ISO? He's not sold yet, but barring any major HP winfall (come on DP daily tacos!), he's a goner in t-minus 5 days or so... (sell before expiry).

Anyone else sell their 4*s?

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    san-mpq wrote:
    I see this character as too much of a waste.
    That's what they said about XForce.
    That's not to say I expect any sort of a buff for Starlord, but what happens when a subsequent character comes out with abilities that create a crazy spammy loop with Starlord's yellow active?
  • rednailz
    rednailz Posts: 559
    Options
    I'd trade a slowly starting SL for most maxed 2*'s any day. I could see keeping OBW, Ares, Mmags, Storm, maybe Astonishing, but after that I'd personally consider it a waste of a roster spot.
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm operating under the assumption that now that the Deadpool Daily has done some nice things for the 2* -> 3* transition, that at some point there will be a change that makes 4*'s more attainable (though obviously not at the rate than 3*'s are becoming). So for now I'm holding on to my useless 4* covers in the hopes that some time in 2015 they'll be not-so-useless.
  • One cover isn't going to break the bank on any particular 4*. You can prioritize XF over Starlord, I get that. Saving HP to get covers for him is a good strategy, but a long drawn out one. With only 1 166, you aren't really ready for the 4* transition in the typical way of getting 1000 progressions in PvP. Scraping up HP for covers is fine, but don't let it interfere with the normal process of character growth, like adding Iron Fist to your roster this week.

It's debatable weather any particular 4* will get boosted (with IW being the most likely), and they aren't ever featured in PvE, so the worth of a character like Star Lord (or Elektra, or Fury) is hard to measure. Personally I think they are worth the roster slot, but if you feel they are better off as 1000 iso that's fine too. If there are ANY weak links on your roster, consider selling one of those instead. IM35 for example.

When Mystique came out coupled with the first 4* Thor cover I ever had due to season ending I needed 2 roster slots at the same time, and that was too much. That is what finally got me to sell my own IM35. Prioritizing roster space is part of the game. No one can decide for you if a level 70 1 cover 4* is better for your roster than a level 94 2* or worth the HP to get his own slot, so if you are feeling Starlord isn't worth the space then he probably isn't.
  • I sold 3 xforce covers when I started playing.

Never sell 4* covers unless you have a complete one.
  • ark123 wrote:
    I sold 3 xforce covers when I started playing.

Never sell 4* covers unless you have a complete one.

Unless it is Electra. (got one that I sold today with out a second thought.
  • san
    Options
    Lerysh wrote:
    One cover isn't going to break the bank on any particular 4*. You can prioritize XF over Starlord, I get that. Saving HP to get covers for him is a good strategy, but a long drawn out one. With only 1 166, you aren't really ready for the 4* transition in the typical way of getting 1000 progressions in PvP. Scraping up HP for covers is fine, but don't let it interfere with the normal process of character growth, like adding Iron Fist to your roster this week.

It's debatable weather any particular 4* will get boosted (with IW being the most likely), and they aren't ever featured in PvE, so the worth of a character like Star Lord (or Elektra, or Fury) is hard to measure. Personally I think they are worth the roster slot, but if you feel they are better off as 1000 iso that's fine too. If there are ANY weak links on your roster, consider selling one of those instead. IM35 for example.

When Mystique came out coupled with the first 4* Thor cover I ever had due to season ending I needed 2 roster slots at the same time, and that was too much. That is what finally got me to sell my own IM35. Prioritizing roster space is part of the game. No one can decide for you if a level 70 1 cover 4* is better for your roster than a level 94 2* or worth the HP to get his own slot, so if you are feeling Starlord isn't worth the space then he probably isn't.

@ Lerysh While you are correct that it's a drawn out one, my XF has, using this strategy turned into a formidable 2/5/2, which makes him usable in PvP. You are correct that I am not quite there in terms of transitioning to 4*, but I am fairly competitive with the 3* roster I have, as it includes Patch (5/2/5 L153), Blade (4/3/5 L153), DP (5/4/4 L166), LCap (2/4/5 L140) and Hood (5/5/3, L147) all decently leveled, as well as MohStorm (5/3/5, underleveled at 104) and a few close to complete (9+ covers) 3*s in terms of their covers (Loki, LDaken, LThor, Gamora, R&G, Hulk, Sentry) . In regards to Iron Fist, I will be deleting Squirrel Girl, as I really don't like the character in general. I do have IW, and am keeping her covers for that reason, but doubt that SL will get the same treatment. He's not bad, he's just not great...

@ rednailz: those are the 2*s I have. OBW, Ares, MNMags/Cstorm, Baby Daken, AWolvie, and Thor. I could see the argument to remove Thor (most likely disposable, as soon as my LThor has another 1-2 covers) Baby Daken (when LDaken is built) and possibly even AWolvie (becomes obsolete with Patch at 5/2/5), but the first three seem just too good to get rid of. Plus, they are useful at times for PVE and depth PvP (in earlier rounds, of course).

I appreciate everyone's opinion. There seems to be two camps here. The "do not sell a 4*, EVER" camp, and the "well, he may get boosted, but you could also sell him" camp... I don't really know.
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I enjoy collecting everyone (at least 3*, I guess), so selling him is not an option for me. Are you the collector type?
  • rednailz
    Options
    san-mpq wrote:
    Lerysh wrote:
    One cover isn't going to break the bank on any particular 4*. You can prioritize XF over Starlord, I get that. Saving HP to get covers for him is a good strategy, but a long drawn out one. With only 1 166, you aren't really ready for the 4* transition in the typical way of getting 1000 progressions in PvP. Scraping up HP for covers is fine, but don't let it interfere with the normal process of character growth, like adding Iron Fist to your roster this week.

@ Lerysh While you are correct that it's a drawn out one, my XF has, using this strategy turned into a formidable 2/5/2, which makes him usable in PvP. You are correct that I am not quite there in terms of transitioning to 4*, but I am fairly competitive with the 3* roster I have, as it includes Patch (5/2/5 L153), Blade (4/3/5 L153), DP (5/4/4 L166), LCap (2/4/5 L140) and Hood (5/5/3, L147) all decently leveled, as well as MohStorm (5/3/5, underleveled at 104) and a few close to complete (9+ covers) 3*s in terms of their covers (Loki, LDaken, LThor, Gamora, R&G, Hulk, Sentry) . In regards to Iron Fist, I will be deleting Squirrel Girl, as I really don't like the character in general. I do have IW, and am keeping her covers for that reason, but doubt that SL will get the same treatment. He's not bad, he's just not great...

@ rednailz: those are the 2*s I have. OBW, Ares, MNMags/Cstorm, Baby Daken, AWolvie, and Thor. I could see the argument to remove Thor (most likely disposable, as soon as my LThor has another 1-2 covers) Baby Daken (when LDaken is built) and possibly even AWolvie (becomes obsolete with Patch at 5/2/5), but the first three seem just too good to get rid of. Plus, they are useful at times for PVE and depth PvP (in earlier rounds, of course).

I appreciate everyone's opinion. There seems to be two camps here. The "do not sell a 4*, EVER" camp, and the "well, he may get boosted, but you could also sell him" camp... I don't really know.

yeah, I'd agree that mstorm, ares, and OBW should be kept, and mmags. I still have an astonishing. he's kinda handy when boosted and I use him for DDQ but I don't have an ares, never had one, and just recently built up an mmags (for mystique) and OBW.
  • san
    Options
    Trisul wrote:
    I enjoy collecting everyone (at least 3*, I guess), so selling him is not an option for me. Are you the collector type?

I am the realist collector type. As in, I won't be going out of my way to collect EVERY SINGLE character (eww bagman) but I collect all of the ones I even remotely like (GSBW is a-ok, but nothing special, I do keep her).
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Options
    My $0.02: I wouldn't. The only 4* I've ever sold is IW, and I'll probably regret that when they fix her up and make her useful again.
  • san
    Options
    rednailz wrote:
    yeah, I'd agree that mstorm, ares, and OBW should be kept, and mmags. I still have an astonishing. he's kinda handy when boosted and I use him for DDQ but I don't have an ares, never had one, and just recently built up an mmags (for mystique) and OBW.

Ares is almost unstoppable in PVE when boosted (323 damage on green per AP, 3200+1400 damage yellow). He's also a beast then at 8K health... I prefer him to Thor, and since I've built him, never used Thor again really (except when I need AOE damage). The others are a must...
  • san : it depends on if you can put Iso on him one day or another.

If there are 10 needed 3*s you need to max first, it's pretty unlikely you will level him one day.

But I wouldn't sell a 4*.

Get all the covers first, and then, decide whether or not you put Iso on him. As previously said, they may buff him in the future.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Options
    san-mpq wrote:
    rednailz wrote:

Ares is almost unstoppable in PVE when boosted (323 damage on green per AP, 3200+1400 damage yellow). He's also a beast then at 8K health... I prefer him to Thor, and since I've built him, never used Thor again really (except when I need AOE damage). The others are a must...

Especially when you can pair him with a boosted Daken, who can blow up for 2500+ damage with his blue thanks to all those strike tiles you build up while getting green for Ares.

You know, like now. icon_e_smile.gif

Thor has his place, though, and I wouldn't let my Thor go if you paid me. I like Thor better in the survival nodes, because Ares is the only character who eventually loses one of his key abilities (yellow) if he gets ground down enough from tanking. Plus, Thor's cascade potential is a plus that Ares lacks. The pros and cons of the two could probably take up a whole thread....
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    san-mpq wrote:
    rednailz wrote:

I use Ares if I'm not up against a strong Green user, nothing like feeding them Green when they are already being fed green by their minions. That's when I switch over to 2*Thor, just as beefy, and a bit slower, but his powers aren't feeding the opposition. Then again, if you collect a few more greens, Ares attacks get more powerful the more green you have, so dump one big hit on the green user and he'll take those greens with him to his grave.
  • rednailz
    Options
    san-mpq wrote:
    rednailz wrote:

No Ares is a must - especially for a transitioner. I just skipped really fast through the 2* game and got a Lcap early and used him with storm and whomever (often astonishing) If I had made one, I would still have him in my roster.
  • After all the work that goes into a season I think a fair reward would be to be able to pick any 4* cover. I didn't have a Starlord so I had to pay for a roster slot for a cover I probably will never use, that's not a reward, its a tax.