We are so close to a 'balanced' endgame!

Options
124»

Comments

• If we're going to discuss potentially re-balancing Wolverine, I want to go on record repeating a suggestion I made back when he sucked:

Make it so that his yellow countdown tile persists after his death and will put him back on his feet if it goes off. If that change were made to Wolvie, I'd be super okay with toning down his black and making his green more expensive.
  • rednailz
    rednailz Posts: 559
    Options
    Trisul wrote:
    rednailz wrote:
    Yes, it's gotten a lot better since true healing, and I'm all for the true healing move. Here's a current example, you're talking about it right now: xforce was buffed, boom - we're needing another nerf becuase the meta was shaken up. Or Cmags was nerfed, and xforce wasn't too useful, thus leaving sentry to run a muck and control the game for a few months just as patchneedo did. I don't care if you agree at all, it's just an opinion of one person. I don't write algoryithims of the game or get out my abicus when trying to determine who's balnces with what when what happens - it's just an observation. The meta seems to be driven more by nerfing and who needs to be nerfed than the machanics of the game, that's it. That's all, and that's also based off of months on these forums. There's always some one on the hit list to be nerfed. Maybe if they fixed IW and put in a "hold person" type approach it would balance things out a little more.

But my only point was, the meta of this game is 100% based on what team is on top, and they are on top until they get nerfed. It's a cycle. So I would expect once GT and xforce get nerfed there will be some one else on the hit list. I'd love to be proven wrong on my knee-jerk opinion.

In my expierance I'd say it'd be a 50/50. I see countless posts on here from people who are pissed that xforce beat them and they don't have a fully covered one. You're on here a lot, I'm sure it's not a stretch for you to acknowledge that.

C'mon dude, every game like this goes through balancing cycles, and there's nothing wrong with nerfing top tier characters if they are deemed overpowered. To deny that is to deny the reality of game development. You didn't need an abacus to figure out the Rags/Spidey/CMags/Sentry needed nerfs.

(for the record, I'm fairly neutral on the "nerf XF/GT" topic. My opinion is more "wait and see what new 4*s are released"... though NP is pretty persuasive in his above posts.)

Then we're in teh same camp. I'm not saying there's anythingwrong with it. I'm saying it seems to be the only tool in D3's shed.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    onimus wrote:
    The deeper answer to my "power creep" suggestion is that LadyThor is NOT at a state where a simple counter character that isn't completely overpowered could counter her. I was actually thinking about someone that could counter her, and the only one I could come up with was:
    4* Hulk - Passive - If ANY member of your team gets stunned, spawn an anger tile and drain all of your opponents red AP.

Now, you could release a character like this without breaking the metagame, but it's obscenely inelegant, and frankly just lazy from a design perspective. Instead of trying to buff everyone to obscene amounts of power level or introduce specific, narrow counter characters for LadyThor, the simpler solution seems to just nerf ladythor instead. But again, given all the hate surrounding the term "nerf", I'd be willing to try doing something like buffing Fury to X-Force tier, and then propose the ladythor nerf again once it's painfully obvious that she's actually just overpowered even in the context of the 4* meta.
    I've never personally been a fan of silver bulleting strong characters.

That just creates a scenario where, if a player doesn't have the silver bullet, they are right back where they started, essentially making that character just as necessary as the one it was meant to counter.

I agree with you that really you just need to nerf Thor.

Nothing severe. Just something that would make her not the best character in every scenario.

I think people are scared of the word nerf simply because of the axe jobs D3 has done with the likes of Ragnarok, Spiderman and Sentry.

I personally thought the Magneto nerf was very nice. They actually changed him a little, rather than just taking his numbers down.

You miss the point of silver-bulleting. It's not so much to make sure that everybody can defeat the character in question, but rather, make that character vulnerable enough that you may think twice about bringing him into the fight, effectively reducing his prevalence in top teams. It's especially useful if the silver bullet character has a weakness that can be exploited by a third character. Basically you have changed the top game from a dude with a machine guy into a rock-paper-scissors scenario, which also will be more forgiving for all other teams.
  • A lot of this started with Lazy Thor (possibly even BP and Lazy Cap to a lesser degree). After that it was Sentry, now it's X-Force and 4* Thor. When you make characters like these who are among the most resilient and the most damaging you have started down a very slippery slope. That slope inevitably leads to where we are now, where if you have these tank-mages available to you there is almost no reason to use any other character, ever.

That's bad. You can say "then make more characters that are powerful", and that is certainly one solution. It's called power creep, and while it does create more viable options over time it also pushes the rest of the pack further into the background. Or you can attempt to adjust the outliers, top and bottom, and balance the game as a whole (some of which we've already seen here).

Of course all of this talk seems to assume that ultimate balance is the goal of their design decisions. Is it? Because there's no way they'd intentionally cause some imbalance to artificially stimulate demand in order to make more money, would they?
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    A lot of this started with Lazy Thor (possibly even BP and Lazy Cap to a lesser degree). After that it was Sentry, now it's X-Force and 4* Thor. When you make characters like these who are among the most resilient and the most damaging you have started down a very slippery slope. That slope inevitably leads to where we are now, where if you have these tank-mages available to you there is almost no reason to use any other character, ever.

That's bad. You can say "then make more characters that are powerful", and that is certainly one solution. It's called power creep, and while it does create more viable options over time it also pushes the rest of the pack further into the background. Or you can attempt to adjust the outliers, top and bottom, and balance the game as a whole (some of which we've already seen here).

Of course all of this talk seems to assume that ultimate balance is the goal of their design decisions. Is it? Because there's no way they'd intentionally cause some imbalance to artificially stimulate demand in order to make more money, would they?

Yeah, because obviously buffing X-Force, a character that literally all the veterans at the time had at that point, to top tier would obviously make them a ton of money in sales. If they really were doing this, don't you think they would make the new 4*s actually good instead of strictly worse than xor? icon_rolleyes.gif
  • I'd say the dev team's goal seems to be at coming up with something that seems fun without realizing that since this game is inherently competitive, balance kind of matters more than fun. If this game is mostly non competitive you can focus more on the fun stuff, because the AI can't post about how they threaten to boycott the next event because X Force is too good, and even if they could, I'm sure the players will just vote to ignore the AI and continue abusing them. Sure there might be other issues with a non competitive and imbalanced game, but at least you don't have to worry about players complaining about each other. But since the game is competitive, if someone has an advantage that means someone else is at a disadvantage, and most fun things turn out to be rather significant advantages.
  • Thugpatrol wrote:
    Yeah, because obviously buffing X-Force, a character that literally all the veterans at the time had at that point, to top tier would obviously make them a ton of money in sales. If they really were doing this, don't you think they would make the new 4*s actually good instead of strictly worse than xor? icon_rolleyes.gif
    My, we are salty today aren't we? icon_razz.gif

Are vets the only people who spend money on this game? Is there no one out there with a partially covered X-Force who might be nudged into buying covers? There are more markets available to them than just the people at the top of the leaderboard. And I would also like to point out I used the phrase "intentionally cause some imbalance". I did not say "break the game dramatically every week with a new overpowered character". My cynical little dig was just meant as food for thought, that perhaps there are conversations going on at their offices not merely related to making a super fun game for all the good little boys and girls. There may in fact be other voices in the room when they make their decisions, voices that care more about dollars and cents than what's fair and balanced. Take that for what you will, with or without salt. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Friendly Reminder:
    behave-yourself-7.png

Play nice. icon_razz.gif
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    My, we are salty today aren't we? icon_razz.gif

Are vets the only people who spend money on this game? Is there no one out there with a partially covered X-Force who might be nudged into buying covers? There are more markets available to them than just the people at the top of the leaderboard. And I would also like to point out I used the phrase "intentionally cause some imbalance". I did not say "break the game dramatically every week with a new overpowered character". My cynical little dig was just meant as food for thought, that perhaps there are conversations going on at their offices not merely related to making a super fun game for all the good little boys and girls. There may in fact be other voices in the room when they make their decisions, voices that care more about dollars and cents than what's fair and balanced. Take that for what you will, with or without salt. icon_e_biggrin.gif

What can I say, these threads are basically a salt mine for me. I've seen this logic so many times already, and while it may be fun to muse about Demiurge as this evil company out to take your money by creating OP characters, that doesn't even make sense if you think about it. Just briefly think about the options:
    1. Have an imbalanced metagame such as now. Xor is so much better than everyone else that once you buyin, 95% of the characters that they release are completely irrelevant, making them poor investments and money sinks. Only time they make more money is if they power creep and release someone even more OP, which given their release schedule, will take maybe 4-5 months.
    2. Have a balanced metagame. Every new character actually is relevant in some way, so people will want to buy all of them! Yay! More money and fun for everyone!

Your "new players will buy X-Force" logic doesn't really make sense because of this. If the metagame was more balanced and say X-Force, Fury, 4or, Elektra, the new player would also buy X-Force, but now he's enticed to buying Fury and Elektra as well as opposed to just buying Xor and being done with it. Both scenarios Demiurge gets the X-Force money, the second scenario would maybe make them even more money, while being good for us as well.

The interests between the developer and player align in this case: the alternate suggestion to me makes as much sense as people saying Demiurge is trying to get us to buy health packs when they make up like 1% of total revenue, which just adds more salt to the fire, so to speak.
  • What can I say, these threads are basically a salt mine for me. I've seen this logic so many times already, and while it may be fun to muse about Demiurge as this evil company out to take your money by creating OP characters, that doesn't even make sense if you think about it. Just briefly think about the options:
    1. Have an imbalanced metagame such as now. Xor is so much better than everyone else that once you buyin, 95% of the characters that they release are completely irrelevant, making them poor investments and money sinks. Only time they make more money is if they power creep and release someone even more OP, which given their release schedule, will take maybe 4-5 months.
    2. Have a balanced metagame. Every new character actually is relevant in some way, so people will want to buy all of them! Yay! More money and fun for everyone!
    This isn't an "evil company" issue. This is a business vs game design issue, and particularly with F2P games like this there is a lot of push and pull that goes on. It's not just one or the other all of the time, and both of your examples are oversimplifications. Game state is fluid, not static, and consumer psychology just doesn't work that way. People don't want to invest heavily in a lateral move. Sure you'll get the people who have to have every character maxed on on release day, but most people aren't going to pay out for another character that's just okay. On the other hand, you can't just release another incrementally overpowered character every week and expect people to pay to max them over and over. The last thing you want is to alienate your big spenders by devaluing their investment too quickly. That's why you see these cycles. It's part of the business model. You make it seem like they only need one business strategy for the entire player base. That's not really the way it works. If this was the the only way they made money they'd be screwed, but it is one of them.

Now, is money the basis for every design decision they make? Of course not. Most developers genuinely want to make the best game possible, and I don't believe the ones responsible for this game are any different for the most part. But let's not be naive about this. They don't get to make all the calls. Sometimes they get exactly what they want, release characters they think are balanced, do everything to make the game fair and great. And then sometimes they have to do things to appease the suits. Most of the time it's probably somewhere inbetween. Their business strategy and their game design are not two different things. There's also the matter that not every decision is a smart one, intentions not withstanding. Attempts to make money can misfire just like attempts at game balance can, and we've seen how well that goes sometimes.

So go ahead and write all of this off as baseless conspiracy talk if you want. That's cool. I disagree. Opinions are fun. icon_e_biggrin.gif