Proper Way to Spend Cash?

Options
Unknown
edited January 2014 in MPQ Tips and Guides
Hi all,

Well, I am a big fan of Puzzle Quest all the way from the first one back on the DS. I've been having a blast on this one, playing daily for weeks and weeks at this point. I've decided that it's time to throw the developers some money as a thanks for a job well done.

Now what I can't decide is the best way to use that money in game. Do I buy purples and level my guys? Do I buy golds and brave the **** lottery system? Do I buy gold and get health packs and shields so I can cheeze tournaments?

What's the best way to pay to win right now?

Thanks!

Comments

• Stillhart wrote:
    What's the best way to pay to win right now?

Really the only way to pay to win right now is to spend a lot of money, and then some more.

So a different question: how many characters/roster spots do you have right now?
  • None of the above.

Buy cover slots and grind the PvE.

I would say buying ISO is the least effective use of money considering how easily it can be earned from everything.
    health packs and shields don't really let you "cheese" tournaments - per se.
    Most people will tell you that health packs are a waste of money for the most part as you can find scenarios to heal effectively (as well as run OBW).

When I first started out, I always bought the single daily deal for funsies. (200 token becomes 100 etc).
    I would probably avoid any packs unless there's something you must have

TLDR -
    cover slots are probably the most effective use of HP.
    and don't spread out your ISO.
  • Best way to "pay 2 win" would be to buy packs with heroes you want, dump money into covers and iso.

If you have ridiculous teams - people can't really do anything about it.
  • I should mention, I have 31 (I think) champions right now with a free slot ready for my next one.

I find it really difficult to build up a good team because it's simply impossible to get the covers I want with any certainty. For example, I'd love to have more Spiderman Blue covers, but good luck with that. I'd love to have even a single Hulk Black but no go there. I finally got my third Punisher. I have no Invisible Woman. I have two X-Force Wolvie. Two Patch Wolvie. One of the good Magneto. Etc.

Yet I've got all the one and two-star characters with all 13 covers and a few maxed out on levels (Thor, Wolverine, Ares maxed. White-suit Storm, OBW, Iron Man 40 around 70. Iron Man, Juggernaut, BW, Storm, etc at 40/50).

So I was thinking about cheesing tournaments by playing against people that will nearly kill me but give me a lot of points, heal up, repeat, then shield when I'm high up and hope for a good reward. I was also thinking about dumping money into cover packs with guaranteed champions I want. But those both seem kinda expensive for a not-very-guaranteed reward.
  • The best way to spend cash is to buy covers for specific high level characters that you are relatively certain won't be nerfed.

A month ago, I would have told you to spend 1150 HP per on Spidey Blue covers. But not now.

Maybe Patch covers now, since he seems to be one of the strongest offensive weapons and will probably scare people away from attacking you (if he is high leveled enough).

Of course that could all be undone in a few weeks, so you will need to be okay with that.

It's a common complaint on these forums. Many of us (myself included) want to spend money on HP/ISO but there doesn't seem to be any real value in the purchase options given to us. For those that we may consider, there is no guarantee that they will stick.
  • Buy HP. First get cover slots, as many as you need to hold characters you want. Once you start getting some high level 2*s and get to the point where you can place top 100 in a tourney easily, shield during the last ~12 hours of a tournament. I usually do one shield 11 hours before the end, then a few rounds when that breaks and another 3 hour shield, then a few more rounds in the last half hour. Doing that you can likely get to top 45 or top 15, which gets you one or two 3 star covers for ~300 HP, minus the 150 HP from prize and progression rewards - a lot cheaper than 1250-2500 HP.
  • Okay so I looked into what paying money gets you and, quite frankly, I'm amazed at how little it is, whether in purple or in gold. You can get so much of it for free from the tournaments, I was actually expecting it to be a lot more plentiful from real money.

At this point, I'll probably wait until a guaranteed pack for a champ I like (maybe the 3-star Magneto during Speed Evil?) and just buy one or two of those and be done with it. $20 (which I think is more than generous) might get me two packs... maybe. So not worth it.

Good thing the only reason I'm spending money is to tip the devs, otherwise I'd just laugh at the conversion rate.
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I really wish they'd offer special deals like other games do. For example, say a 24 hour deal that gives you 50% more. Maybe run something like that once a week. I'd certainly be more inclined to spend some money if they ran some specials. As of now things are way over priced.
  • Thanos wrote:
    I really wish they'd offer special deals like other games do. For example, say a 24 hour deal that gives you 50% more. Maybe run something like that once a week. I'd certainly be more inclined to spend some money if they ran some specials. As of now things are way over priced.

They don't do it as often as you'd want (and they shouldn't, or everyone would just wait till the next sale), but they do it.
  • Thanos wrote:

They did something for new year. iso half price.
  • Darkon wrote:
    They did something for new year. iso half price.

It still was overpriced and not worth spending money.

I don't get their pricing. Seems like they want to milk the very few that are willing to spend money instead of getting a lot of people to spend money.

I bet a lot more people wouldn't mind to spend a buck or five from time to time if they'd get more in return.
  • Spencer75
    Spencer75 Posts: 232
    Options
    The best use of real money in this game, to me, is buying up remaining important covers of heroes.

Here's what I mean

2 months ago I got my 3rd ragnarok cover and realized what I could do with a 4th and 5th cover. Being impatient I simply bought the last 2. At that point they were arguably the most valuable covers in the game (the 4th and 5th level of Rags). I paid about 20 bucks for these and considered it a tip to the developers for a game i really enjoyed.

Obviously I used Rags everywhere for about a month and a half and he basically built my whole team, maxing out all my villains in lightning rounds and allowing me to clean up in other tourneys.

So find someone that would greatly benefit you by being maxed out and do it

If you have any blue spiderman covers he's great but he is on the nerf list, so i'd be careful

I love Classic Magento's blue as well, it's devestating when maxed.
  • Spencer75 wrote:
    The best use of real money in this game, to me, is buying up remaining important covers of heroes.

Here's what I mean

2 months ago I got my 3rd ragnarok cover and realized what I could do with a 4th and 5th cover. Being impatient I simply bought the last 2. At that point they were arguably the most valuable covers in the game (the 4th and 5th level of Rags). I paid about 20 bucks for these and considered it a tip to the developers for a game i really enjoyed.

Obviously I used Rags everywhere for about a month and a half and he basically built my whole team, maxing out all my villains in lightning rounds and allowing me to clean up in other tourneys.

So find someone that would greatly benefit you by being maxed out and do it

If you have any blue spiderman covers he's great but he is on the nerf list, so i'd be careful

I love Classic Magento's blue as well, it's devestating when maxed.
    This is definitely one of the strategies I was considering. The problem is that the stuff I REALLY need, I don't have yet. Like Hulk's black and two of 3* Magneto's skills... I can't get those covers at will and spending money on the gamble is not my idea of a good time...
  • I'm really tempted to spend money on either the punisher 5-pack or the daredevil 10-pack.

I need more Punisher covers and it's relatively cheap so that's a decent choice, but Punisher rewards are available in the current tournament so maybe not the best choice of money spent?

The 10-pack is pricey, but there's a great chance to get X-Force and Patch Wolverine, as well as Spidey and Grey BW. I should be getting a lot of Patch covers this weekend from the tournament, though and Spidey is going to be nerfed. Not to mention the other characters you can get (Bag man, regular Wolvie, other BW's) are either maxed or garbage.

Decisions, decisions...
  • You should be using your HP to buy Patch covers (directly) and level him up. Don't waste it on playing the rigged lottery.
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    You should be using your HP to buy Patch covers (directly) and level him up. Don't waste it on playing the rigged lottery.
    They'll be giving out tons of Patch this weekend... I'm not going to spend HP on that until after this weekend.

Besides, I only have green on him right now so there's only so much I can level. icon_e_sad.gif