5* Proposal

Options
Punisher5784
Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
edited September 2015 in Speculation and Concepts
If they ever release 5* characters it should be 1 huge guy that takes on 3 characters. 5* would have the health of 3 people and 4-5 abilities.

Examples:
Galactus
Apocalypse
Thanos
Mastermold

I would at least love to see "boss" battles with this like when you first started the game with 3 1*s versus Juggernaut. This would definitely make the game interesting!

Comments

• I'd still rather add a Muscle goon to my roster as the 5* cover.
  • Make 5* unbuyable so people have to earn them. And scale them stupid against high level players.

Brb Thanos unstunnable.
  • Don't you have enough 3* and 4* characters to deal with before you think about 5*s ? icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • *Brings Daredevil or Captain America and/or a 5 blue mbw TU*
    Insta-beat any 5 star
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Options
    My thoughts on this issue were expressed last year and I still stand by what I said....

I'd hate to see 5* characters as anything TRULY competitive in any form of play. I'd accept them as joke characters who happen to be crazy powerful.

For example: THANOS
    HP: 25,000

Blue: 25 AP: Stun enemy team for 10 turns.

Black : 30 AP: Every tile on the board becomes a countdown 3 tile. Upon counting down, these tiles turn into Strength tiles with power equal to 500.

Yellow: 25 AP: Thanos is invulnerable to damage and abilities for 5 turns. His health is fully restored restored.

See the concept? Every skill costs an ungodly amount of AP but then does something that's completely unfair. Their power reflects their in cannon power but they aren't truly viable for competitive play beyond acting as an hp sponge.

Note: I know nothing about Thanos lore...this example is for illustration only using powers that match the general MPQ colour pie.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'd love a boss fight, but you'd almost need a Thanos, Thanos' Right Hand, Thanos' Left Hand setup if you didn't want to throw character balance out of whack, like an RPG boss fight.

With one target, stuns and single target damage would become even more critical, and AoE damage would be undervalued. Bring 4* Thor, full boost, and Thanos will probably only get one move in before you match blue and he's stunlocked and smited down, no matter what his health is. Making stuns totally ineffective would fix that, but might swing balance too much the other way. Maybe stuns could work as a damage damper, reducing damage by 1/3 or 1/2 while they're stunned.

Either way, it'd be a lot of fun to have a big health pool to chip away at.
  • san
    san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    babinro wrote:
    My thoughts on this issue were expressed last year and I still stand by what I said....

I'd hate to see 5* characters as anything TRULY competitive in any form of play. I'd accept them as joke characters who happen to be crazy powerful.

For example: THANOS
    HP: 25,000

Blue: 25 AP: Stun enemy team for 10 turns.

Black : 30 AP: Every tile on the board becomes a countdown 3 tile. Upon counting down, these tiles turn into Strength tiles with power equal to 500.

Yellow: 25 AP: Thanos is invulnerable to damage and abilities for 5 turns. His health is fully restored restored.

See the concept? Every skill costs an ungodly amount of AP but then does something that's completely unfair. Their power reflects their in cannon power but they aren't truly viable for competitive play beyond acting as an hp sponge.

Note: I know nothing about Thanos lore...this example is for illustration only using powers that match the general MPQ colour pie.

I can see myself using LCap, MohawkStorm and a blue generator(MNMags)/Thief (hood/OBW) on this guy. Or... using 1* black widow to stun stun stun icon_razz.gif.
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I liked what M:AA did with Group Bosses. I think something like that could be implemented in MPQ. I'd like to see a 5 star.png boss that the whole alliance can attack. His health would be some astronomical figure that your heroes would be able to take chunks out of. Everyone in the alliance would hit the same guy and eventually wear him down and beat him.
  • rednailz
    rednailz Posts: 559
    Options
    Lidolas wrote:
    I liked what M:AA did with Group Bosses. I think something like that could be implemented in MPQ. I'd like to see a 5 star.png boss that the whole alliance can attack. His health would be some astronomical figure that you're heroes would be able to take chunks out of. Everyone in the alliance would hit the same guy and eventually wear him down and beat him.

ooo...like dungeon raid and boss could drop epic loot!
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Switchman wrote:
    Make 5* unbuyable so people have to earn them. And scale them stupid against high level players.

Brb Thanos unstunnable.
    This reeks of roster envy...
  • Punisher5784
    Options
    Not sure if anyone has ever played Magic: Duel of the Planeswalkers but normally the last boss of the game is 3 players versus 1 big opponent. It's a lot of fun and challenging.

I was not necessarily saying we could earn a 5* but having a big boss would bring something new to MPQ like Survival Mode recently did.

Wolv, Cyclops and Storm Vs Apocalypse! Epic battle of the 3-match! If you win you earn new character Bishop or Cable!
  • Right now Gorgon may as well be a 5*. Before he was actually released Devil Dino could have been a 5*. If they can not be rostered by players then their star designation is pointless.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    No! Just no! I'm already sick of being matched against 4 star teams 100+ levels above mine. A wall of 5 star nonsense is unacceptable.
  • As I suggested, a 5* should be based on loyalty only.

A mix of :

- the number of days you played the game,
    - the number of matches you won,
    - the depth of your current roster

And there could be special events, where you can earn extra features for him.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Like the idea of bigger people having just 1 slot (takes the place of 3)

What PVE did this could swear we just had a pve not that long ago when it was 2 on 3 or 1 on 3
  • simonsez wrote:
    Switchman wrote:
    Make 5* unbuyable so people have to earn them. And scale them stupid against high level players.

Brb Thanos unstunnable.
    This reeks of roster envy...

I suffer from roster envy... I'm currently in therapy to try and work through the issue. icon_razz.gif
  • Punisher5784
    Options
    Switchman wrote:

Brb Thanos unstunnable.

lol I was looking back at my old 5* proposal post and this guy nailed it!
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yeah he did.

SO, on that topic, who do you guys think the next 5-stars will be?

Thanos is a good guess. I can't think of too many other guys in Marvel that are on par with Silver Surfer.

Jean Grey (Phoenix).

Franklin Richards, apparently, but I've hardly heard of him.
  • GundamY
    GundamY Posts: 182
    Options
    Damn! At this rate, we're going to have star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png characters that are pretty much galaxy-busters + reality warpers = The One Above All (Stan Lee) lol

Ooh, I know! for a 6* character, he will have all 6 colored abilities, something that is pretty much only a final boss could have! Want me to name them all? Here goes, I guess? (WARNING: BREAKING THE 4TH WALL SO HARD THAT IT WILL MAKE DEADPOOL JELLY WITH PEANUT BUTTER. ALSO ASSUME THAT EACH ABILITIES ARE MAX LEVELED)

redflag.pngExcelsior!!!: Stan Lee shows who's the man in this game!
    greenflag.pngExecutive Decision: Whoever holds the creative control of filmmaking, if he be worthy, shall hold the power of Stan Lee!
    blueflag.pngEaster Egg Cameo: Here, there, and everywhere you go, there's no way of missing Stan Lee's cameo (except for the Fant4stic Four reboot, ew).
    blackflag.pngEarnings of Box Office: The Avengers and other superhero franchises shall become milked up for all their worth!
    yellowflag.pngEternal Master of Marvel Studios: Marvel's reputation is at an all time high thanks to The Man behind the scenery!
    purpleflag.pngEyes and Ears For True Believers: There is no one but Stan Lee who can hear the character requests that fans yearned for.

I can't come up with any game effects for each of those abilities, but what I can tell you is that the purple abilities is similar to Deadpool's, except instead of Deadpool coins, you'd probably have to pay with real money lol
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think the rumored Wolverine (Old Man Logan) is a pretty safe bet for a 5*. Other characters that are already in the game that are good candidates for a 5* version are, IMO, Hulk, Doctor Doom, Magneto, Phoenix, and we'll probably end up seeing 5* versions of Cap, Iron Man, Thor and maybe Black Widow as well at some point. Symbiote Spider-Man would be a good one as well (I think Ultimate would make a better 4*).

As for completely new characters... Black Bolt (and maybe Medusa as well?), Doctor Strange and Adam Warlock all fit the bill. Maybe Ice-Man and Rogue, since those are two of the more powerful (and popular) unreleased X-Men (Kitty Pride and Magik too, maybe?). Ghost Rider and Blackheart might be possible as well if we're diving into Marvel Knights territory.