The new clientele in this establishment

Options
El Satanno
El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I've been lurking this forum for a lot longer than my posting history would indicate. In that time I have become acquainted with the style of many of the old timers along with the trends that many of the sub-fora see in post quality. That out of the way, I feel like I need to vent a little.

Is it just me or have we seen a recent uptick in the population of low-quality/content posters? Off the top of my head, I can name at least a handful of individuals that seem to be flooding the boards with a combination of troll threads, whining, unreasonable requests/demands, and in the case of that Hulk11 character, straight-up insults. Have I simply not noticed this before or is there something else afoot here? Is anyone else suffering the same distraction I am because of it? Or am I just simply being a snob?

Comments

• GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    A lot of the content guys have fallen into the arms of other games (or responsibilities), but yes, I would agree that hostile individuals are definitely on a rise lately.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    El Satanno wrote:
    I've been lurking this forum for a lot longer than my posting history would indicate. In that time I have become acquainted with the style of many of the old timers along with the trends that many of the sub-fora see in post quality. That out of the way, I feel like I need to vent a little.

Is it just me or have we seen a recent uptick in the population of low-quality/content posters? Off the top of my head, I can name at least a handful of individuals that seem to be flooding the boards with a combination of troll threads, whining, unreasonable requests/demands, and in the case of that Hulk11 character, straight-up insults. Have I simply not noticed this before or is there something else afoot here? Is anyone else suffering the same distraction I am because of it? Or am I just simply being a snob?
    A lot of the content guys have fallen into the arms of other games (or responsibilities), but yes, I would agree that hostile individuals are definitely on a rise lately.
    That said, as mods we don't/can't read every post made on the forums so if you come across a post that you feel is out of place or inappropriate, flag it for us and we'll look in to it for you.
  • Unknown
    edited February 2015
    Options
    First, they're still around. They tend to hang out on Line due to many advantages. In real time conversations, no searching through threads, and get to avoid some of the negativity of which you speak. Some still come on to the forum occassionally. Probably the most active are Ben Grimm, MischiefMaker, NorthernPolarity, and Locked. For some reason they love this game, they like to get on here and attempt to spread their enthusiasm and insights around. I'm not sure how/why they do that as much as they do. While there are number of vets who will have legitimate concerns or different points of views from theirs, they also have to put up with noobs who don't want to listen. Concerning the latter, I'm not sure why they waste their time and energy on them.

Second, the negativity is not as bad you think. A lot of the times it will be the same 4-5 people (posting a lot and making lots of threads) so it seems more widespread than it is. The other posts/threads you see that might seem to fall into the "negative" category, I give them passes. A lot of them were not here when things were really bad with the game, and they just do not have any perspective on many great improvements have been made. Typically, when I speak of negativity, these are the ones I mean.

Others are just new. It's nice to see questions that have not been asked in a while. That's kind of how you know that they are new. It's also a big change coming to MPQ from other games. So many of the big events are PVP both PVP and PVE. With the exception of Gauntlet and DPD, it's not set up where eveyone gets a trophy. While PVE is set up where roster does not really matter, PVP (once you leave the noobie pool) is a real sharkfest of the best roster wins. It's really a "wake up call" moment. Between MMR and the scaling in PVE, those are probably the two biggest draws of people coming to the forum for answers. So you expect those to be many of the posts by new people because that's why they came here to begin with.

Third, feel free to post things yourself icon_e_wink.gif

Edit - Changed hear to here.
  • El Satanno wrote:

As a game grows, the player population will grow with it.

And in every population there is a certain subset of people who are just terrible. As the population grows, this subset becomes greater.

And, as we all know, this subset is routinely the loudest subset of each population.

A subset that uses the anonymity provided by the internet to intentionally upset, annoy and "fool" other people into reactions. They are starved for attention.

If you look into these people, you will generally (I emphasize generally) find a group of very sad, unpopular and unheard people who feel as though they have no power over their lives or aspects of their lives. They feel ignored and dejected; hence the requirement to get a "reaction" from other people.

Gamergate was a very good example of this, as anger and irrationality are commonly the most "reaction bearing" types of posts.

Go to Blizzard's forums, or Riot's forums or any forum of any astronomically large game.

They are generally cesspools for ragers, trolls and complainers.

If this game ever gets that big, you'll see.

It's as inevitable as death and taxes.
  • I think the veterans have just gotten tired of smacking down,.. err dealing with every complaint by providing long explanations to the rationale for everything. After a certain point there's just decreasing returns, and most people can see trolls for trolls.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Disagreement and debate are not inherently a sign of disrespect - just a difference in opinions.

The only person I've personally seen treat others with a blatant disrespect was that Hulk11 fellow.
  • I'm very negative on these forums, but after spending hundreds of $$ on this game in the 4 months I have played, I don't feel bad about it. There are obvious flaws in the product that need addressing. Lately the devs have been addressing them. It's a good thing.

People are spending hours upon hours upon hours playing this game. We all know the ones that are sacrificing family time etc to play a match 3 game every few hours (pve up until recently). Of course they were going to be mad once they stopped and realized they were doing it for **** rewards in an ultimately broken game. They were sleep deprived and getting yelled at by the old lady for being adult men huddled around their phone 24/7.
  • Mostly, I think we've got a good commentariat here. There are, of course, some exceptions, but it's not nearly as bad as a lot of places I've been, especially gaming forums. There are a few newer posters, I'm assuming they're teenagers, who started posting without getting the tone of the place. We've had them before and we'll have them again. But I think there are relatively few of them, and I suspect this place isn't getting them the outrage they crave, for the most part, so I imagine they'll wander off. And if they don't, Jamie Madrox can just drop-kick them into the sun.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I appreciate all the replies, guys! Now don't get me wrong, I know my way around many a gaming forum and I know this place is far more civilized a place than one is likely to find in other places. I guess I just felt like within the past few weeks there's been a surge in low-quality posting. Maybe I'm just showing my age...these rotten kids on my lawn...