Former vets

Options
Any of you still around?

Logged in the other day and have been playing out of curiosity. Surprisingly still have some ability but it appears my roster is a little dated.

Looked in the coin store and saw that 20000 coins cost £79.99, are people still maxing out new characters on day one? Ludicrous pricing, I'll never understand why I spent money on this before and can't see my wallet coming out during this brief return.

Yours,
Ladder

Comments

• Yes, some people are still doing it. There are 166 Cyclops' running around. Most don't, however, and spending cash on the game is still not really required.
  • I can't see the top alliances getting by without some spending, based on what I've seen over the last couple days. It's been a while since I was in that environment though, so I may be mistaken.

At least I can play the Deadpool daily on the train to work, for a bit of light relief. Until the required character stumps my newbie ****.
  • Long time no see icon_e_wink.gif

Yep there are still some vets playing. Some we have lost (rip) and some we can't lose.

Glad to see ur still alive and kicking.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Welcome back, good sir!

Yes, top alliances, as in T10, have a lot of spenders.

Below that it's gotten better with shield cool downs - if you have the roster, you can usually t10 or even t5 individually on one shield.

If you're missing 4* Thor, you're not going to like top end PVP right now. Thorverine is back, only they're 4*s now.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle wrote:
    If you're missing 4* Thor, you're not going to like top end PVP right now. Thorverine is back, only they're 4*s now.

....with a vengeance!
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just came back to the game after a similar break as well, although of course I was never a player of your caliber and reputation.

I think the game has mostly improved with things like selectable end times, shield cooldowns and Deadpool's daily, although it's indeed pretty much impossible to land top 5 in pvp without the Thorverine 4.0 combo.

But as long as you don't want to be top of the lists at all costs and don't mind sitting the occasional Deadpool daily survival mission out because you lack the featured character (looks tearfully as his complete lack of Rocket&Groot), I think the game's more fun than it was before.
  • Good to hear from you guys, hope you are all well.

The end time thing is something the game needed back in the day, glad to see it finally arrived. Although I doubt I'll be too arsed to play PvP, won a bracket this afternoon with a score in the mid 500's and it was just as stressful as it used to be pushing into the 1000s! Think I'll stick to PvE where I can take my time and cover the board in shields to grind it out.

Do S.H.I.E.L.D still play?
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The Ladder wrote:
    Good to hear from you guys, hope you are all well.

The end time thing is something the game needed back in the day, glad to see it finally arrived. Although I doubt I'll be too arsed to play PvP, won a bracket this afternoon with a score in the mid 500's and it was just as stressful as it used to be pushing into the 1000s! Think I'll stick to PvE where I can take my time and cover the board in shields to grind it out.

Yeah we do, but we have a different crew with different priorities from the good old days. In terms of old skool, Beee and Polarity have been handed the reigns of leadership while Joz is still active - that's from the top of my head. Nowadays we do a lot of our chatting on LINE rather than through the ingame interface so a few of the old SHIELD alumni like WYP do pop in from time to time. We are a man down atm so give us a shout if you want a place to enjoy some chilled out casual play while you evaluate the meta game and rebuild your roster.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    kidicarus wrote:
    The Ladder wrote:

Yeah we do, but we have a different crew with different priorities from the good old days. In terms of old skool, Beee and Polarity have been handed the reigns of leadership while Joz is still active - that's from the top of my head. Nowadays we do a lot of our chatting on LINE rather than through the ingame interface so a few of the old SHIELD alumni like WYP do pop in from time to time. We are a man down atm so give us a shout if you want a place to enjoy some chilled out casual play while you evaluate the meta game and rebuild your roster.
    They mostly play PAD now icon_lol.gif
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    kidicarus wrote:
    The Ladder wrote:

They mostly play PAD now icon_lol.gif
    *groan*
  • If you just want a top 5, it's definitely not impossible with a 3* team. I have been playing for 10 days after a 7 month break and after 1 failed attempt in the first pvp to play as I used to, I decided the best course of action is to start playing in the last hour of a pvp. So far I have a #1 and 2 #3-4 in the last 3 pvp by doing this. No shield hopping and no wasted time. The 2 problems with this strategy is that it makes very difficult reaching high in progression rewards and that #1 will be out of reach, most of the time, but if you are done spending too much time on this game, it's a reasonable strategy. Once you get to 550-650 you will start fighting the Thorverine duo, but 600 should be enough for a top 5.
  • The Ladder wrote:
    Any of you still around?

Logged in the other day and have been playing out of curiosity. Surprisingly still have some ability but it appears my roster is a little dated.

Looked in the coin store and saw that 20000 coins cost £79.99, are people still maxing out new characters on day one? Ludicrous pricing, I'll never understand why I spent money on this before and can't see my wallet coming out during this brief return.

Yours,
    Ladder

Yup, there's a bunch of us still kicking around. Good to hear from ya! um... if you have found happiness outside the game, don't come back.
  • I came back a week ago, after the Daily Deadpool was announced. With the daily quest, 8 hour refreshes and selectable end times, the game is much more enjoyable than it was in july. The XForce+Thor dominance is a pain, though.
  • Just chiming in on the Thorverine thing...

I am finding that it's more about XF still than 4Thor. I have both and she is a tad too slow (although if you get lucky then watch out! gg!) If you get a bad board or casade then it's not a guaranteed win.

I have had similar success pre- and post- 4Thor. On PvP it's almost more about the required character.

I would say start playing again. I think the devs have kept it fun and the game is different enough to be novel again at least for awhile.
  • Well good to see you back ladder. I rarely post on here but thought I would swing by and say hi. Like wolf man said the reduction in grind has made the game more fun. Deadpool daily is a nice touch but I could do with a few more nodes per day lol.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    Holy ****! I just noticed Im more of a "vet" than Ladder! (he was board member 174, Im 173!) I totally wasnt including myself in the "vet" category, but I may have to now.

Anyway, welcome back!
  • noobprime
    Options
    Not quite a mega vet, but I used to frequent the boards pretty regularly, and your posts were pretty entertaining! I stopped MPQ for a couple of months and just picked it back up to play the dailies. I may jump back into the other modes again, but probably not hardcore Seasons anymore.
  • DirigiblePilot
    DirigiblePilot Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    As above, I wouldn't really consider myself a super-veteran, because I've always played pretty casually, but I've been around since December 2013, so I've seen a lot of changes the game has gone through. I, too, stopped playing for a good while before being lured back by the dailies, which is probably about all I'm going to do.
  • danae
    danae Posts: 101
    Options
    When I first started out around a year ago, I read the thread you created detailing what you did competing for #1 position in the various events. Thank you for that because I immediately thought "I'm not crazy enough to do that!" and have played semi-casual ever since. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Tannen
    Tannen Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Good to see you again Ladder, I always loved reading your posts...