Cyclops cover selection/ordering - Why?

hesjingixen
hesjingixen Posts: 215 Tile Toppler
Come on D3? Why?
The placements for the initial Cyclops launch event rewarded either black, yellow, red, or yellow, black, red (I forget which). This means that top 150 got black, top 50 got black, yellow, but you needed top 10 to get red. The cover you can get in Enemy of the State is black. Now I look at the PvP, and it awards black, yellow, red. ****? You can only get red if you can score top 10 in a 5 day PvE or top 5 in a PvP? Why? Couldn't you distribute the covers a bit more evenly, instead of "here's black" x3?

Comments

• If this is any consolation, at least black is his better power than red, and if you run Cyclops without red covers, he will charge red to fuel his strong black and other, better reds on your team. Not too bad.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Miles (the lead designer) posted in the main discussion forum that cover orders are decided with a random number generator, so the answer is "because that's how the dice fell." If you find this an unsatisfactory answer, well, you're not the only one.
  • Miles (the lead designer) posted in the main discussion forum that cover orders are decided with a random number generator, so the answer is "because that's how the dice fell." If you find this an unsatisfactory answer, well, you're not the only one.
    that is a stupid way to determine it. a little intelligence goes a long way.
  • hesjingixen
    hesjingixen Posts: 215 Tile Toppler
    Miles (the lead designer) posted in the main discussion forum that cover orders are decided with a random number generator, so the answer is "because that's how the dice fell." If you find this an unsatisfactory answer, well, you're not the only one.
    Yeah, okay, that is pretty dumb.

I think what annoys me the most is that a few heroes (Rocket & Groot and Gamora I think), had what I would consider the "perfect" distribution: meaning that top 150 in launch got you 1 cover, points in the next PvE got you a second, and the PvP got you the 3rd. Personally, I think that's really reasonable. You have to participate in 3 different events and do "well" in at least 2, but in the end, you have all 3 covers. The individual powers may not be awesome, but if you're so inclined, you could spend the HP and get that hero ready to go.

This also seems like a better business model to me, because I'm much more likely to spend HP to "power up" a hero if I have all the covers.