I feel like 1000 points with 3* roster is possible

Options
Renaldoo
Renaldoo Posts: 114
edited February 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
It is not easy, but if I have a 166 level of the featured hero, I feel like 1000 points is really not that hard. My method is, I fully boost colors from 700-900 at minimum 11 hours before event ends. 3hour-8hour-3hour 33 point shield hop to 1000, no problem. This even leaves one extra cushion at event end time in case something goes seriously awry during a shield hop.

I won't claim it's fun, but I do feel like I've been able to progress, albeit slowly, to gaining 4* covers in pvp.

Comments

• You can do it with a loaner using hulk patch. Climb with patch daken or patch grocket to 600-650, shield for 3, bump up to 750, shield for 8, check every 20-30m for 40 point targets using a loaner (there will be plenty in those 8hrs), repeat until 1k. You might get a 4* cover for anywhere from 300 to 600 hp, but that is a hell of a discount from 2500.
  • The problem isnt beating people. It's beating people fast enough during shield hopping. Even with a 4thor I cannot overcome the pts lost during the hops. You either have Xforce or its just wasting HP imo.
  • h4n1s
    h4n1s Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    hehe, this shieldhoping thing reminds me of my days in Diablo 1... Is there a bunch of skeletons you don't know how to beat? Find nearest door, stand right behind them and take them one by one... icon_e_biggrin.gif seriously that's just broken, but I don't blame the players...
  • konannfriends
    konannfriends Posts: 246 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I think there's needs to be a limit of how many points you can lose in a 1 hour period.
    Because winning a patch for 23 points and coming back to see you lost 36 the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

And is your team successfully defends your not getting 36 points. For instance I got a defensive win earlier and I looked at the guys roster. He had a 270 wolvie and a 199 THOR. My team was a 166 deadpool and 166 hood and 120 patch ( I'm not a tier hor those are just the cards I love been dealt. But anyways gets how many point my petty team got for beating his obviously Xthorce.... Wait for it.... Wait for.... A whopping +4 ! I took a picture I'll see if I can upload it. I was so angry this Is obviously a slap in the face by the devs.

Out of my 222 days playing this game I made it to the the 1300 3 times. 222 is about a 14 month's ( started at end of 2013) and still only have 3 maxed 3 stars
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just now hit the 1k mark for the first time. Maybe Cage Match isn't the best barometer since no-one can use X-Force, but it was still a worthwhile endeavor. For reference, I was running a 249 Patch/166 Black Panther/132(?) Daredevil team for my serious pushes. Yeah, I used Daredevil. icon_e_wink.gif In total it cost me 475HP for shields and a stack of All AP boosts.

The Gamora event will be an interesting trial, since X-Force will be weapons-free and mine is 3/5/4. Furthermore, my Gamora is woefully under-covered and under-leveled. I sure do want another green X-Force... But you know what? I am relatively confident I can still hit 1k. Just like this run, it takes some planning, some timing, and a little bit of HP.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Lots of people are reporting in the Cage Match thread that they got the blue Thor with various 3* teams.
  • bdksni1
    bdksni1 Posts: 103
    Options
    I'm still struggling for the 1000pts milestone, but i confirm that in cage match my bracket's (slice1) top 10 all reached that mark. Very useful info on this topic btw
  • When X Force isn't in the way, it's quite a bit easier for the 3*s to reach 1000.
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It's not just X-Force, you still need to beat Goddess. That said, this was a good chance for people to roll out a wide variety of teams. I hit 1k with max Patch, max Blade and 127 Daredevil. There were more than 10 different 3 stars out in force.

This hints at the fun we could have in a format change something more like MTG. EVentually, we need to have competitions with restrictions on the use of 4* regardless of the featured character. I think this is likely to happen once there are enough 4* to have their own tourneys. Maybe we have limited tournaments where you can only use characters in the last 6 months as an example? Or a vintage tournament limited to characters up to Season 5.
  • I achieved 1000 points in Cage Match - the first 1000+ score of mine since the score adjustments went in. My team the whole way up was Patch (166 - 3/5/5), Lazy Daken (154 - 5/5/3) and Blade (154 - 5/3/5).

I posted how it worked on the Cage Match thread, if there's any interest.

I can't see myself doing the same with my level 122 4/5/1 Gamora without considerably more effort and/or expenditure.
  • Phantron wrote:
    When X Force isn't in the way, it's quite a bit easier for the 3*s to reach 1000.

10000000000000000000000x times easier.

Damn you Xforce.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    IMHO, 1k progress is only possible in non-x-force events without spending an inordinate amount of HP in shields.

All due respect to X-Force, I wish mine was playable. No X-Force = No Fun. Sorry but it's true right now.
  • I started playing again 10 days ago, after taking a 7-8 month break and although I have several 3* relatively well leveled and covered, I can't get past the 700 wall of teams that use maxed XF and 4* Thor. I could probably make it if I burned 500-600 HP and half a day playing the game, but I value my free time. The game starts being a joke when no matter how many times you skip you are trapped in a bubble with 4-5 enemies. What is the point of skipping anyway? So what I do now, is play in the pvp for 1 hour before the end and manage to secure a top 5. The game isn't worth more than that.
  • Lightning_Man
    Lightning_Man Posts: 75 Match Maker
    Options
    I thought I would experiment and try for top 1000 in the Gamora pvp without an xforce, since I do not have a high leveled one. I used all the tips about playing early, shield hopping, boosting, timing of retaliations, etc. The highest I could make it to was about 900. If you try to beat teams early, the matching system matches you to the same three people over and over (who all had max level xforce and 4hor). If you try to beat teams within 10 hours of the end time, everyone hits you for points quicker than you can gain them. I also used about 1500 hp trying to do this, and took many hours of my free time on the weekend. What I have learned is that while it is possible to get to 1000, the benefit is not worth it for what I lost both in the game and personal time. Looks like I will be back to saving hp, and leveling up cards that way. You need xforce to get xforce.
  • Hendross wrote:
    IMHO, 1k progress is only possible in non-x-force events without spending an inordinate amount of HP in shields.

All due respect to X-Force, I wish mine was playable. No X-Force = No Fun. Sorry but it's true right now.
    Why are you playing a game you don't consider fun. Are you under the impression you have no choice?
  • From what I can tell time slice mechanics tends to trump everything. You can run whatever weak character and if everyone in your time slice is not playing for whatever reason and it'll still be a smooth climb. Likewise you can have the strongest characters out there and if there are two guys that are 300 points below you with the same team you're still not getting anywhere without a shield (or until those two guys find someone else). Spending money is going to give you better odds but there aren't enough players in this game spread out in 5 time slices for everyone to have a similar experience. It seems like there are much bigger swings in either direction of activity now and I wonder if people are just getting tired of PvP, because less players would mean greater variances in activity. Back when there was only one time zone, you know there was no way you or anyone else is sneaking past a certain threshold without shields, but now it is quite possible and I don't think that's a good thing because it creates a very uneven experience and is frustrating for those who don't have the time or the luck.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I managed to get to 1000 this event with the loaner Gamora, a 166 Daken and a non-maxed Xforce (4/5/3, was about L190 when the event started and was L215 at event end thanks to Enemy of the State and the Deadpool Dailies). It was a tough climb and I burned through about 800HP of shields, which is way more than I usually spend in HP, but it's still a lot cheaper than 2500 and I now have a fully covered XForce to level.

I noticed that the hardest part of the climb were the last 200 points or so. Teams with maxed XForce/4hor are definitely beatable with the team I used unless I had a few bad cascades against me, but to do so fast enough so I didn't lose more points than I gained was quite tough, because on defense my team shouted 'easy target' at that point level.
  • I was in the camp that 1000 seemed to be much harder work than it was worth. I wasn't overly fond of the idea of having to basically hop from 700-750ish all the way to 1K. I figured it would have to be done a maximum of 2 fights at a time, would require a ton of out of game communication/help, and would end up costing a boatload of HP.

My XF has 4 green covers so I decided I was gonna give it a go. My notable roster is 166 Daken, Lazy Thor, Devil Dino (3/5/5), Captain America, XF (4/2/4), GSBW, 153 Patch (5/3/5), and 153 Hulk (5/2/5). Should also note that my Gamora is level 40 and is 5/5/0. Climbed as high as I could this morning mostly using Patch/Daken, with the others mentioned sprinkled in. Got to about 700 before I started getting destroyed by attacks, ended up using a 3 hour shield at 650. Decided I'd try to hop to 800 using the Hulk bomb technique. Thought I reached it only to be hit down as I thought I crossed the 800 barrier. Tried another fight (against max XF/4hor/Gamora) and was met with an opening board that had zero green on it. Didn't even see a green tile for five turns and never got a chance to match green. Needless to say, I lost. 8 Hour shield thrown up at 730ish. Very frustrated at this point and kinda wanted to throw in the towel and accept confirmation bias that getting to 1K isn't for me. Picked up 30 points in random defensive wins though and already spent some HP so I was gonna keep pushing. Next hop was far more successful, went from 760 to 890 in three fights. Final hop took me from 890 to 1008 in three fights. Needless to say, that only cost me 300 HP (2 three hour shields and one 8 hour) to actually get to 1000, 450 HP if you factor in the second 8 hour shield I threw up to maintain the 1008 score.

I should also add that this was done without any out of game communication. To find my matches, I simply skipped every so often while I was shielded until I found 3 fights worth 40+. It wasn't that hard as long as I was okay with accepting that I'd have to fight mostly maxed 4*s (I think I only spent about 100 ISO total). I told my alliance that I was going for it but my mates never found me when I was hopping and therefore nobody tanked points in my direction.

I will say this, Hulk bombing is easily a legit strategy to get to 1K and it seemed mostly foolproof as long as you bring three green AP and three all AP boosts. This becomes unsustainable over each event because you run out of them and they cost HP but if you decide to hone in on just XF or Thor (or potentially both if they aren't back-to-back like they just were), you should be able to replenish your stock between events that have covers that actually matter. That being said, without Hulk bombing, I'd imagine it's tougher and costs a lot more HP for 3* teams to get there because I'd guess it's slower with Rage of the Panther/Call the Storm/etc, which means you are out of your hops longer and we all know the risks inherent with that. Means more hops and more HP, again brings sustainability into question.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Grizzlegom wrote:
    That being said, without Hulk bombing, I'd imagine it's tougher and costs a lot more HP for 3* teams to get there because I'd guess it's slower with Rage of the Panther/Call the Storm/etc, which means you are out of your hops longer and we all know the risks inherent with that. Means more hops and more HP, again brings sustainability into question.

Good feedback! Just to confirm your experience, without Hulk bombing, it's much tougher, and costs more. I selectively hop to 1K with BP/LThor, so Rage of the Panther/Call the Storm, and I can't hit more than two targets per hop, which means more shields required. All of which means, Hulk's next on my Iso-queue after I finish levelling Loki.

My experience is exactly the same as yours, though, with an all 3* team, you more or less have to shield around 650, or you get beaten down pretty quick smart.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ark123 wrote:
    Hendross wrote:

Why are you playing a game you don't consider fun. Are you under the impression you have no choice?

There are many fun aspects of MPQ, top tier PVP without X-Force is NOT one of them. Hence the top is nothing but.
    Regardless I did hit 1k in Lethal Intent without X-Force (it was not fun) and this is how I did it.

I forget which slice, 4 or 5
    N Fights
    --3hr Shield @ 750 with 14hrs to go
    ----4 Fights (3-1 +80)
    8hr Shield @ 830
    3 Fights (3-0 +117)
    3 hr Shield @ 947
    2 Fights (2-0 +95)
    8 hr Shield @ 1042 to end

All of my post-shield fights were Hulk (166 5 black) + Patch (166 5 Green) + Gamora (Doesn't matter)
    I got zero defensive victories

HP Results
    +100 in Progress
    +100 for Top 10 (Individual)
    +50 for Top 50 (Alliance)
    +250 Sub Total Earned
    -450 in Shields ... Might have been able to do this in 3 shields, but I played conservative off peak times (T-3-8-11)
    -200 HP Net