Modes that stress strategy and award iso

rkd80
rkd80 Posts: 376
I have a proposal that may be somewhat easy to implement and could utilize the existing puzzle quest elements, but use roster diversity to provide elements of strategy.

What if a mode tracked not who you killed, but *how* you killed them and awarded you based on ranking within the following categories (no boosts allowed)

- Speed of kill
- Number of 4 matches
- Number of 5 matches
- Number of board shakeups
- Number of cascade sequences
- Least amount of damage taken
- Max amount of damage dished out
- etc.

All the boards are the same for everyone, however we are allowed to bring anyone along we wish thus making the end result unpredictable. However depending on how D3 structures the reward category it can really mix up your selection.

For example you may wish to forego more powerful characters in order to bring along MMN / CStorm to get more 4 matches or bring Juggs to get cascades, etc.

The structure can vary, but lets say give us 3 tries per "level" for a few levels where the levels get harder and harder.

Comments

• If the boards are the same for everyone all that means is you go to GameFAQs to see what the guy with the best score did. Or, if that guy isn't willing to share, then it boils down to whether you can find someone who knows what the guy with the best score did. I'm going to rule out the 'do it yourself' just because chances are extremely good any particular individual is indeed not the best player in MPQ in any particular scenario. I think the board has to be different for this to make sense. Give people a reasonable number of tries (3, 5, whatever) and I guess if someone is just super lucky, so what? As long as it's not competitive that just means if today's your lucky day you'll trivially hit the top ranking because your board started with 3 match 5s.
  • rkd80
    rkd80 Posts: 376
    The boards will only be up for a few days though, if someone is willing to map out the best strategy then so be it. That is a lot of effort for a very short amount of time.

The problem with random boards is that it won't really measure ingenuity then....
  • rkd80 wrote:
    The boards will only be up for a few days though, if someone is willing to map out the best strategy then so be it. That is a lot of effort for a very short amount of time.

The problem with random boards is that it won't really measure ingenuity then....

But if you only make those boards for a few days that implies someone constantly have to come up with new ones and that's probably a lot of effort too. Anything that lasts more than a week I'm sure will be easily mapped by someone and then it's no longer a measuerment of anything.