How soon do they add a new character to tokens?

Options
dider152
dider152 Posts: 263
edited February 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I typically hold onto all the event tokens for any given event until it's finished. Then, I open all of them at once, typically hoping for the just-released character so I can buff him/her even more. For this event, I have 31 tokens saved up (35 by event end). How soon after the event end does the new character get added to the token pool?

So does anybody else hold all their tokens 'til after an event and just open them all at once? And how soon after the event do they add the new character to the rotation?

Comments

• IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,314 Site Admin
    Options
    New characters are usually added to the Heroic/Standard tokens when the next Versus Season rolls around. The Event tokens usually get updated the next time the Event is run (and not always then, since some Events have one off drop charts). So there's usually little point in saving Event specific tokens, but depending on who you've got in your roster and who is cycling out next Versus Season, it *may* be worth it to hold onto tokens till then.
  • FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    New characters are usually added to the Heroic/Standard tokens when the next Versus Season rolls around. The Event tokens usually get updated the next time the Event is run (and not always then, since some Events have one off drop charts). So there's usually little point in saving Event specific tokens, but depending on who you've got in your roster and who is cycling out next Versus Season, it *may* be worth it to hold onto tokens till then.

That's odd Will posted several seasons ago that most Events inherit basic odds from Heroic/Standards and would typically automagically update when they were.
    The inside-the-sausage-factory details: most events, both PvE and PvP, inherit from a set of base odds and then make tweaks to them ("feature this character" or "feature this character and increase the odds of these other characters a smaller amount"). A few, and Nefarious Foes is one of them, have a different pack structure than usual and are custom-built. When it's time for character rotation and we change the base odds, most event packs change, but the custom-built ones won't until we run them again. (It would be technically possible to change those packs too, but we want to focus our testing efforts on making sure everything goes smoothly with the majority of packs - we try to measure our efforts in awesomeness-per-person-day, and changing the characters available in that one pack for 12 hours doesn't score highly.)
  • IceIX
    Options
    FierceKiwi wrote:
    IceIX wrote:

That's odd Will posted several seasons ago that most Events inherit basic odds from Heroic/Standards and would typically automagically update when they were.
    The inside-the-sausage-factory details: most events, both PvE and PvP, inherit from a set of base odds and then make tweaks to them ("feature this character" or "feature this character and increase the odds of these other characters a smaller amount"). A few, and Nefarious Foes is one of them, have a different pack structure than usual and are custom-built. When it's time for character rotation and we change the base odds, most event packs change, but the custom-built ones won't until we run them again. (It would be technically possible to change those packs too, but we want to focus our testing efforts on making sure everything goes smoothly with the majority of packs - we try to measure our efforts in awesomeness-per-person-day, and changing the characters available in that one pack for 12 hours doesn't score highly.)

What I'm saying doesn't diverge from what Will said. Packs will automagically update, yes, but not all packs and not all the time unless they're touched. Many packs gets touched as a matter of course, but others (like say, Gauntlet run 3) wouldn't update since even though it's a normal Event, it's not something we'll run in that form again.
  • FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I guess maybe I'm just misinterpreting something then. Will says most tokens update when rotation happens and you say tokens only update when the event is rerun (and sometimes not even then with weird events). Unless you're talking about when the boosted %'s change for tokens and Will is only talking about the base %'s?
  • IceIX
    Options
    FierceKiwi wrote:
    I guess maybe I'm just misinterpreting something then. Will says most tokens update when rotation happens and you say tokens only update when the event is rerun (and sometimes not even then with weird events). Unless you're talking about when the boosted %'s change for tokens and Will is only talking about the base %'s?
    Bit of column A, bit of column B, but essentially, yeah. that's correct. Odds get really weird on Events that have boosted characters that then are rotated out the next season. That's a rare/nonexistent thing, but it has happened and is more common when an Event hasn't been rerun over a single season. Which, given that seasons are only a month long isn't tough to have occur. So until an Event gets updated to deal with that sort of disparity, the smartest thing it can do is to hold onto its old drop chart lest it basically just turn into a wonky odds Heroic Pack copy.
  • remind me of patch and magneto when OUT of token, when IN token did it a rework?
    -patch= it just a same patch just updated with new image, or maybe it consider as a rework(on image side)
    -magneto= before OUT, magneto already look like that(post nerf/update)

what im trying to say is OUT rotation is not a guaranted rework, right?. i tho it just an excuse to make some hero appear "exclusively" i dont mind getting one or two colosus or doc oct(even never use them but i eager to collect new hero) at least it better than not maybe someday when the were completed cover i gonna use it for fun, why they did not included all together at least that would increasing chance for 3*, chance for getting 3* will be likely all 2*transitioner would be happy and 3* transitioner will bathed with glorius 500x iso lol
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Being taken out of the token rotation doesn't mean they'll be reworked. It's just an opprotunity for them to look at those specific characters and see if they need tweaked, while also helping with token pull delusion.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So just to confirm for myself, what we're getting is that Cyclops and whoever else comes along before the end of the season will not be available in standard and Heroic tokens until the next season. Right? I really want to know, as I have over 400 mixed tokens hoarded right now and I would like to have a crack at fleshing out ol' Slim with some of those.