Tips for a Beginner (1 week play)

Options
Yeggy
Yeggy Posts: 81
edited February 2014 in MPQ Tips and Guides
Hello there,
I realize there are a lot of threads of this kind already. I have checked some of them and it seems there is a lot of good advice given. However, most of these threads are by players who have progressed (by far) more than me and have useful covers under their belt. And so, I would like some advice at what I should aim to do with my roster and leveling.

Here is what I have:

6 Character slots, can go to 8 anytime
*********************************** Leveled Characters 1*
Iron Man (35) lvl28 4/3/3
Storm (Modern) lvl28 5/4/3
Hawkeye (Classic) lvl16 5/5
*********************************** The others
Black Widow (Mordern) lvl1 2/5
Juggernaut (Classic) lvl1 4/4 (can make 5/5 with pending rewards)
Storm (Classic) lvl1 1/0/0
********************************** Pending Covers
Captain America (Modern) 0/1/0
Venom (Dark Avengers Spider-Man) 1/1
Black Widow (Modern) 1/0
Yelena Belova (Dark Avengers Widow) 1/0
Juggernaut (Classic) 1/1 (as mentioned before)

I must also mention that I have not yet earned any mission specific covers for Thor, Storm (Classic), Venom nor Yelena Belova. I am halfway through Oscorp missions and am having some difficulty (need more levels).

1. I was considering getting Thor and start leveling him (maybe try to get some rewards in the tournament with him), but with the upcoming nerfs and having Thor only at 1/1/1 for a long time I think the precious ISO could be invested elsewhere. Have 1985 ISO which can get me 3 levels on Storm (Modern) or Iron Man (35). Thoughts?

2. Should I go for Thor and Storm (Classic) at 1/1/1 and 2/1/1 respectively or just keep leveling my high level 1*?

3. I also want to know how the 2* XP per level scales. Can anyone give me an answer?

4. Any other suggestions for short/long term goals?

At last, thank you for spending some effort on one of many advice threads.

Comments

• I'll answer these in reverse order:

4. Short Term Goal: Finish the Prologue and get all the decent rewards (HP, 500 Iso, Useful covers). Also, unlock as many cover slots as possible. Having a wide variety of characters to choose from becomes very useful since each PVE and PVP events buff different characters.

3. Per level, 1* are actually the most expensive on a per level basis. Of course, they cap out at level 50 (or 40 for a 2 ability character).So, for the same amount of iso, you'll get more levels on a 2* character than a 1* character, until the 2* character gets over level 50. On the other hand, 2* characters tend to be a ~touch~ weaker in some respects than 1* characters at the same level. (mostly in match damage, as abilities vary so much that a direct comparison is not useful). But they will again outstrip the 1* as they pass level 50.

2. I would start building your 2*s, rather than investing a ton more ISO into your 1*s. Eventually, once you get the covers to get them above 50, it will be 100% worth it.

1. Even with a nerf, Thor is still a 2*, and will outstrip the 1*s once you level him up, and he's easy to get. I would recommend getting and leveling him. 1* heroes just don't have the hit points to compete in events at a high level.
  • Yeggy
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! I guess I will get the covers for Thor and Storm (Classic) from their missions first. As for finishing the Prologue I don't think I can do it with Storm (Classic) at 2/1/1 and Thor at 1/1/1 nor can I do it without leveling my 1*.

1. Should I Level my 1* first and get the prologue done or just start spending ISO on the 2* and disregard my 1*?
    2. Also I have been postponing the Thor mission so I don't have to spend a character slot on him until I need it. Which of my pending covers should I throw away/keep? I can only keep 2 more characters and Venom's due date is in 3 days.
    3. How high level can a 1/1/1 Thor and 2/1/1 Storm (Classic) go? I am not certain if they can help me to get the Prologue done at low level.
    BTW, I am also trying to get Recruit Tokens before I do the specific mission for Thor in case I want to keep a slot for something useful. I feel like I should only get Thor once I get at least another cover at random for him or I know I can level him up.
  • You should not spend HP on anything but slots for a long time. (I have about 20 slots and I still cringe when I have to throw away 2* covers due to lack of room).

I actually took a different approach than many suggest. I maxed out my 1* team (IM35 5/4/4 though I should have done 5/5/3, Storm 5/4/4, mBW 5/5) before putting any ISO into my 2*'s. I found I could consistently get top 45 and sometimes get top 15 in the PvP tournaments with that team. It was fairly easy to get my 1* team up to that point by grinding through the prologue and doing a couple tournaments and it outstripped my 2* team's potential for a long time (only started getting higher than lvl 50 with 2*'s in week 3). Lighting Storm maxed out and Widow's Sting maxed out is autowin if the opp. only has one char left and can often lock out 2 chars if you get lucky with blue matches.
  • Yeggy wrote:
    Thanks for the reply! I guess I will get the covers for Thor and Storm (Classic) from their missions first. As for finishing the Prologue I don't think I can do it with Storm (Classic) at 2/1/1 and Thor at 1/1/1 nor can I do it without leveling my 1*.

1. Should I Level my 1* first and get the prologue done or just start spending ISO on the 2* and disregard my 1*?
    2. Also I have been postponing the Thor mission so I don't have to spend a character slot on him until I need it. Which of my pending covers should I throw away/keep? I can only keep 2 more characters and Venom's due date is in 3 days.
    3. How high level can a 1/1/1 Thor and 2/1/1 Storm (Classic) go? I am not certain if they can help me to get the Prologue done at low level.
    BTW, I am also trying to get Recruit Tokens before I do the specific mission for Thor in case I want to keep a slot for something useful. I feel like I should only get Thor once I get at least another cover at random for him or I know I can level him up.

3. Offhand, I'm not certain how high level they can go with only those covers. However, a recruit token is only going to give you a single cover for a character. And no character is really worth using with only one cover. Giving the slot to a character you know you will get multiple covers for is, IMO, the better idea. Also, You will get a red Thor cover as a daily reward (if you haven't yet).

2. I would use the pending covers you have where you can, as there is no real disadvantage to doing do. Yelena is not very good, so I would sell her cover if you don't have the slots. I would also Give Cap a slot, because he's buffed in quite a few events, and pretty good in mook fights. Additionally, unless you have gotten them all, there are missions in the prologue that give HP, that you can use to get more cover slots. I'd recommend getting to at least 15 over time. And don't sell off 3* covers! Especially villians! They are hard enough to come by, and rather good when you get the covers necessary to level them. They may not be helpful short term, but long term, you'll be glad you saved them.

1. Unless you don't think you'll get enough covers to make your 2*s immediately useful, focus on them. Long term, you'll be better off. That said, it's not the end of the world if you spend more iso on the 1*s. It's less efficient, because you will outstrip 1* characters pretty quickly once you get your 2*s rolling, but if it keeps you progressing and having fun, you'll always be able to earn more iso later.
  • You need to start working on getting your Black Widow to 5/5 and use her to replace Hawkeye. Her 5 turn stun is integral in getting past some of the harder Oscorp villains. Also, her stun can freeze countdown tiles.

Your team should look like this: IM35(or Juggs)/Storm/B.Widow

You should slowly transition it to: Thor / C.Storm / Wolverine
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    You need to start working on getting your Black Widow to 5/5 and use her to replace Hawkeye. Her 5 turn stun is integral in getting past some of the harder Oscorp villains. Also, her stun can freeze countdown tiles.

Black widow is an excellent character its stun is invaluable, also modern storm is great for the transition from * too **, spending ios on them isnt a waste because they will help you beat the story and get some sweat rewards, also both are a good team to play tournaments.
  • Yeggy
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback!
    I think I will level up my 1* for now and finish the Prologue.

As for Black Widow I found I could use her even being lvl1 to great effect in the prologue, as none of her abilities scale with levels. The only thing I lose out on is the Purple tile Damage (seems minimal).

There are, however, two downsides to her being lvl1: 1- Abilities that damage the whole team and 2- When you match environment tiles she goes to the front (I think the character with Highest Critical chance matches Environment Tiles, not sure about that one). On the other hand I really like Hawkeye's Take Aim as it allows for ridiculous damage in certain situations regardless of his level because the other characters are the ones matching the critical tile. His Arrow Stab, is marginally useful to clear that tile that I absolutely must. It can also set up extra turns + critical tile occasionally.

I have noticed that Black Widow has more HP as opposed to Hawkeye and I guess that will prove much more useful. Especially her stun in the tournaments. I will level her after I am done with Iron Man and Storm, I think. I may give her some levels to survive those team nukes in certain missions.

I do find Hawkeye much more useful vs tiles as both his abilities allow to take out important tiles and manipulate the board advantage. Black Widow can stun but sometimes there is that 1 tile I can't get rid of and if there are 2 of the same character that can put up a certain tile I do not know which one did it. For example, if there are 2 Pyros, except for the moment the tile is laid down, I can not tell which one used the ability.

In conclusion I will likely level my Storm (Modern) and Iron Man (35) first to help me get the Prologue done. I will level Black Widow if I see the need for it and let Hawkeye Fade off.

1. Should I keep Venom? If I finish Prologue missions I can get him to 4/2. Is he any useful (unless paired with Spider-Man)? What about Juggerface?
    2. How does the game decide which character destroys the Environment tiles? Usually it's my Hawkeye or Black Widow (Because they have the highest Critical?) But when I do the mission with Spider-Man vs Venom, Spider-Man takes out the tiles, despite having lower Critical....
    3. Is there a way to keep track of which character places a tile (if two have the same ability)? Sometimes I get confused if I switch between the two and forget which is the 1st and which is the 2nd.
  • You should focus on storm and aim to place well enough to obtain black widow covers from the divine champions tournament.
  • Yeggy
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Fangel wrote:
    You should focus on storm and aim to place well enough to obtain black widow covers from the divine champions tournament.
    I gotta hand it to you man, I did that and got my Storm to 45 (missing 1 cover) and my Iron Man to 50. That with my lvl 16 Hawkeye for his awesome crits (much better than black widow's stuns imo) I was able to barely make top 75 and win all the black widow covers. All that despite playing at a time when noone else did, I made it only in my last game, <1m time left. It's EDIT: 5 AM xD

Thanks for bro tip, I mean pro tip, I mean, I gotta go sleep now. This game is bad for my health. This is my 8th Day of Marvel: Puzzle quest.

1. Btw I have 16k ISO that I've been Hoarding and I don't seem to have enough covers on any uncommons to level them above any of my commons, I was wondering if I should Just level my Jugger to 40 or even hawkeye or something.

Thanks a lot, I'll post a bit more on my current status after I come out of hibernation. Zzzzzzz
  • You're welcome. I wouldnt spend any ISO on characters that you do not plan to use as most tournaments tend to have a guest/buffed character + 2 of your own heroes. Your maxed out IM and storm should be enough to secure more Thor covers from the punisher tourney.
  • Yeggy
    Options
    So I am getting a few uncommons now but the covers are so spread out, I can't keep them all. I will eventually have to throw something away.
    I have right now

1*
    Iron Man 35 5/5/3 lvl 50
    Storm (modern) 5/5/3 lvl 45
    Hawkeye 5/5 lvl 16
    Black Widow 5/5 lvl 1
    Juggernaut 5/5 lvl 1
    Venom 4/5 lvl 1 (can get the 1 missin cover in mission)

2*
    Storm (classic) 3/1/1 lvl1
    Daken 3/1 lvl1 (all missions done)

On the rewards list:
    2*
    Black Widow (Original) 1/1/2
    Wolverine 2/0/0
    Ares 0/0/1
    Magneto (Marvel NOW!) 0/0/1
    Thor 0/1/0 (got it from the mission)
    Captain America 0/2/0 (1 day left)
    3*
    The Hulk 0/1/0

So I have 8 Slots now and can buy 3 more. None of these uncommons can go higher than lvl 22 now so I can't exactly choose one to transition to and get a power spike compared to my commons.

I will have to choose what to keep and what to throw...The Black Widow (Original) is very cute but she is a support character and I don't fancy having her with my commons much as opposed to say a Daken or a Thor who can increase my damage and have some HP on them (or Regen).
    The Hulk makes me bittersweet as I was happy to get something Rare but then again don't think I want to use a slot as I am not getting any more covers for him any time soon. I lose too much on the opportunity cost.

Have 16k ISO-8

1. What to keep, what to throw? Have 11 Slots Max atm, Not sure if I can get another (Dark Avengers Prologue Missions are getting Hard to grind that HP)
    2. Although it pains me, I am thinking of getting my Venom to 40 and doing SHIELD Missions and other events instead of investing in any of my uncommons as none of them can get a decent level to have an impact.
  • poomermon
    poomermon Posts: 300 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Keep:

Iron Man 35 5/5/3 lvl 50
    Storm (modern) 5/5/3 lvl 45
    Black Widow 5/5 lvl 1
    Storm (classic) 3/1/1 lvl1
    Black Widow (Original) 1/1/2

Good one star team with IM, Storm and BW can be your main team for a while. Classic storm is pretty decent and you already have many covers. Original black widow is great with her resource denial and works great with strike tiles.

Sell:

Hawkeye 5/5 lvl 16
    Juggernaut 5/5 lvl 1
    Venom 4/5 lvl 1 (can get the 1 missin cover in mission)
    Magneto (Marvel NOW!) 0/0/1
    Captain America 0/2/0 (1 day left)
    Daken 3/1 lvl1 (all missions done)

Hawkeye loses his usefulness quite rapidly as you progress and I prefer modern BW over him. Juggs and Venom are not necessary and you can get more of their covers you will ever need later if necessary. Magneto is not that good and you only have one cover. Captain America is kinda meh and not worth leveling at this point anyway. Daken can be good if you level him early but he needs all his covers to be worth it and his passive is super annoying as it takes forever to resolve. Also you cannot use him against PvE Dakens which can be a bummer.

Debatable:

Wolverine 2/0/0
    Thor 0/1/0 (got it from the mission)
    The Hulk 0/1/0
    Ares 0/0/1

Wolvie and Thor are getting nerfed so who knows how they will turn out. Hulk will be pretty much useless for a long time but you might regret selling him later on. Ares is not as good as thorveline but that might change soon. Maybe just lose Thor and avoid rest of his reward missions for now.
  • Yeggy
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Thought it was best to post here rather than make a new tread.

It's been about a month and a half now and my roster evolved quite a bit. I recently pulled 3 rares (2 from Standard tokens) and may have to decide to throw something soon. Wanted advice as soon as possible in case I can't get the HP to accommodate all.

I currently have 2 commons - IM 35 + M.Stor - and 11/12 uncommons (can you guess which uncommon I am missing?) and I would like to keep these all. I have 18 roster slots and can buy 3 more (exact HP). I expect to win at least 2 T'Challa covers and perhaps even a few C.Magneto in the Fresh Cut event.

I have a blue IM40 with 2 days left, yellow Spider-Man and Blue Doom. The last two have 6 days left. I will also get a Black Doom from my rewards in 5 days.

So here is what I have currently:
    1*
    IM35 5/5/3 - lvl 50
    M.Storm 5/5/3 - lvl 50
    2*
    C.Storm 4/5/3 - lvl 77
    Moonstone 5/5/3 - lvl 61
    C.America 3/5/4 - lvl 61
    OBW 3/3/3 - lvl 53
    Wolverine 5/4/3 - lvl 45
    MN Magneto 5/3/2 - lvl 44
    Thor 5/3/4 - lvl 34
    Hawkeye 4/0/2 - lvl 6
    Ares 0/1/3 - lvl 6
    Daken 5/2 - lvl 12
    Bullseye 1/1 - lvl 6
    3*
    Psylocke 1/3/2 - lvl 53
    Hulk 0/2/1 - lvl 28
    The Hood 1/0/0 - lvl 15
    The Punisher 1/0/0 - lvl 15
    Wolverine (Patch) 0/0/1 - lvl 15
    Waiting list 3*
    IM40 0/1/0 - 2 days
    Doom 0/1 - 6 days
    Spider-Man 1/0/0 - 6 Days

I can keep 3 more characters but as I said, I expect to get T'Challa and maybe even C.Magneto (am placing quite high with my Psylocke and am having few retaliations, have been hovering top 5 since the beginning, 1st atm). If I get a Green X-Force I think I'll just sell him >_>. I may get a Green Punisher from the progression rewards. I really don't want to get rid of any of my 1* or 2* as I don't want to throw away invested ISO and getting 2* is much more likely in the long run that 3*. Feel free to convince me otherwise!

I was thinking of throwing away either Patch, IM40 or Spider-Man if I have to get rid of something. But Patch's Yellow is arguably the most important skill to have maxed first, but I see no way of getting any more covers for him soon. I speculate that Spider-Man will be given as rewards after his nerf and it may be best to keep him, he also has a rare combination of colours which is useful even post-nerf. I could get rid of Hood as well, but I am guaranteed to get another Yellow for him in like 1 month.

As a side note, when I first made this thread I was feeling **** that I couldn't get enough covers to spend my ISO and HP to keep my 2*. Now I feel **** that I have too many unmaxed 2* and not enough ISO to go around and have no HP for 3*. I have been investing all my ISO into event-buffed characters to be able to stay competitive.

Thanks for any advice you may give =)
  • I'd probably ditch Ares (because you already have Wolverine and Thor, same role, same colors) and Bullseye (because he feels rather weak and unspectacular). That will allow you to keep all ***-covers. Might take a long time for them to get useful, but hey, you got to start collecting them at some point.
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I really don't want to get rid of any of my 1* or 2* as I don't want to throw away invested ISO and getting 2* is much more likely in the long run that 3*. Feel free to convince me otherwise!

I would get rid of at least 1 of your 2* characters for exactly that reason. You're more likely to get 2* covers than 3* covers, so if you toss some of the 2* you haven't leveled yet, you'll get them back eventually -- sooner than you'd get any 3* covers.

Your Bullseye, Hawkeye, and Ares don't have any leveling, so they're all possibilities. I'd definitely ditch Bullseye, and probably Hawkeye, too. If you keep anyone, I'd keep Ares (he's the most useful out of the 3 of them).

If you have to get rid of a 3*, I would probably say to toss IM40.
  • Yeggy
    Options
    mags1587 wrote:
    I really don't want to get rid of any of my 1* or 2* as I don't want to throw away invested ISO and getting 2* is much more likely in the long run that 3*. Feel free to convince me otherwise!

I would get rid of at least 1 of your 2* characters for exactly that reason. You're more likely to get 2* covers than 3* covers, so if you toss some of the 2* you haven't leveled yet, you'll get them back eventually -- sooner than you'd get any 3* covers.

Your Bullseye, Hawkeye, and Ares don't have any leveling, so they're all possibilities. I'd definitely ditch Bullseye, and probably Hawkeye, too. If you keep anyone, I'd keep Ares (he's the most useful out of the 3 of them).

If you have to get rid of a 3*, I would probably say to toss IM40.
    Moghwyn wrote:
    I'd probably ditch Ares (because you already have Wolverine and Thor, same role, same colors) and Bullseye (because he feels rather weak and unspectacular). That will allow you to keep all ***-covers. Might take a long time for them to get useful, but hey, you got to start collecting them at some point.

I forgot to say that I think I should prioritize Rares that are "easy to collect" - 2 powers or are guaranteed to me at some point. So I would be with at least 2 covers for that rare. Spider-Man and IM40 aren't given through daily rewards, while all the 2 power villains are, I believe + Hood yellow and green hulk.

Having a rare take a slot for months and months instead of an uncommon I may max out on covers by that time may allow me to use it in some event down the line. This, I believe, will be more useful than a 1-cover 3* sitting there doing nothing, as has been my Yellow Hood for example, which I am only guaranteed another yellow in one month or something. I also see selling rares as a source of HP to perhaps allow me to get more roster slots. As many times as I have been tempted to use money, my better judgement advises me against it. So I need other sources of HP, besides tourny placements perhaps T_T

Also, Daken (EDIT: BULLSEYE!) seems fun. I always liked Classic hawkeye take aim. This one is pretty much the same at max level mm.
  • Yeggy wrote:
    I forgot to say that I think I should prioritize Rares that are "easy to collect" - 2 powers or are guaranteed to me at some point. So I would be with at least 2 covers for that rare. Spider-Man and IM40 aren't given through daily rewards, while all the 2 power villains are, I believe + Hood yellow and green hulk.
    The difference between one and two covers is pretty much non-existent. For your rares to become somewhat viable you'll need at least half a dozen covers, usually more. I'd really try to hold on to them, it pays off in the long run. You'll get a cover every now and then, some from lucky token pulls, some from placement or progression rewards, eventually they all add up. Note that you can still sell a single cover assigned to a roster slot for the same amount you get by selling from the reward stack.