Game persistence...

Baddkitty
Baddkitty Posts: 67
So i'm hitting a yellow node, i'm getting most of my **** handed to me, but i'm winning, I've got one down, my other two are at 1/2hp. They have two down, but an empiricist still has 4k...almost got my abilities up...THEN MY PHONE RINGS AND I HAVE TO ANSWER IT!! I just lost the game!!

No matter if i get a call, an alarm goes off or i just let the phone sit for more than like 5min or more. Although i've had to let it sit for 20minutes and come back thinking it was lost, just to find it still on. The vast majority of the time if i don't turn phone on, do a quick tile match, then turn screen off, i'll lose the game and get penalized. This happens especially at work. I get a lot of down time to play even at work. This needs to be fixed!

Put a time limit or something that a single game can be paused before forfeiting or something. I play another game inbetween refreshes called Puzzle and Dragons. Now they have their game setup right. I've gone as far as falling asleep mid level, waking up the next morning, texting and making a call and going back to the game, not remembering i fell asleep during a match, and the game is still right where i left it. So i know it's possible. I've lost ISO on boosts and even worst i've wasted 20% boosts.

With the way the game currently works i don't see how it could be abused. I've read there were fixes to keep people from doing pvp and letting a match sit, or something to that affect.

I know it's a "Phone" and phones get texts and calls, unlike the pc version, but that still shouldn't matter. Other games stay persistent.

Create an EXIT that closes the apps, if exit isn't used, the game stay at it's current state.

Comments

• CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    They've addressed this before; It's not a matter of state save being open to abuse, it's that the process of constantly backing up your game state would be too resource intensive, and kill battery like a mofo. The bigger problem is that the game is enough of a RAM hog that when it's running in the background your phone will often have to kill it in order to free up the memory it needs to do other things...but at this point, over a year after release, it's incredibly impractical to rewrite the code to reduce its footprint.
  • d0nk3y
    d0nk3y Posts: 213
    edited February 2015
    Are you sure this isn't a device or operating system limitation? When I'm at work, I play on a Galaxy S5 and will routinely get texts or phone calls from my wife - I can answer my phone or jump to the home screen to reply to the text, then come back to the game from my task manager and resume where I was - even when the game is in the middle of beating me up with cascades...
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    They've addressed this before; It's not a matter of state save being open to abuse, it's that the process of constantly backing up your game state would be too resource intensive, and kill battery like a mofo. The bigger problem is that the game is enough of a RAM hog that when it's running in the background your phone will often have to kill it in order to free up the memory it needs to do other things...but at this point, over a year after release, it's incredibly impractical to rewrite the code to reduce its footprint.

I call bovine feces on that reasoning. Apps on all supported platforms have the possibility to listen for when they are going to be suspended. At that point, you can call into some logic to serialize the game state and write it out to storage once. There is no reason it should be continuously writing backups of the game's state each and every turn taken. Doesn't solve crash issues but definitely solves interruptions where other apps pre-empt the game.

(Also; each use of the cell transmitter on your phone is going to consume more power than serializing the game state and writing it out to storage. Something about premature optimizations...)

This is just a clear cut case of the developers not caring; not knowing how to implement this; or having other priorities.
  • I have this exact problem...Im pretty sure I have all the tools in the main game folder C:Program FilesEA SportsNHL07. How do I "reinstall the roster?" Do i just click on BHimport again?
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    _RiO_ wrote:

This is just a clear cut case of the developers not caring; not knowing how to implement this; or having other priorities.

Well, I can play the game on my S4, multi task to another app (read my email, text and call) and I can then go back to the game without any problem.

Check out donky post. He also has the same experience.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    atomzed wrote:
    _RiO_ wrote:

Well, I can play the game on my S4, multi task to another app (read my email, text and call) and I can then go back to the game without any problem.

Check out donky post. He also has the same experience.

That would be because you have a device powerful enough to not need to suspend the game app to free up available memory and CPU resources...