Best Characters for Two Colour Combinations (Updated 06/16)

Options
2»

Comments

• _Ryu_
    _Ryu_ Posts: 149
    Options
    Totally love this guide. It helped me a lot to make very useful rainbow combinations and to use characters with there best two colors. Keep this on!
  • Surprised this isn't stickied. Took me a little while to find it.
    So many new 4* to be added with the pace they're coming out.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Took me only five months, but here, have an update!
  • _Ryu_
    _Ryu_ Posts: 149
    Options
    Thx! That's very useful to make rainbows. Great update, keep on!
  • mgallop
    mgallop Posts: 120
    Options
    Pylgrim. Nice write up, but I have one major qualm. As someone who had Ant-Man as his second fully covered 4*, his purple is SUPER UNDERWHELMING. I had a 5-4-4 ant-man, and I'm pretty sure I was correct to respec him to 3-5-5. His purple just takes forever, and is very fragile, while his yellow is cheap and efficient, and his blue is the best anti-special tile ability in the game.
  • Pylgrim
    Options
    Alright, I just finished a massive update for the opening post. Hope it will be useful for y'all!
  • Pylgrim
    Options
    I have requested a thread move to the character discussion subforum, where I believe the thread will spark more and better discussion and hopefully be of generally more use. Don't disappoint me, people! icon_e_wink.gif
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm SUPER biased here, so take it with a grain of salt, but I feel like Drax's best combination actually does involve his purple.

This is, of course, assuming you are running a very specific comp, however Drax only fits into two or three teams realistically so take from that what you will.
    Drax's purple + red is honestly his best combination as there's not as much value in blowing up the countdowns of other users in his tier. There's only, like, 2 better purple users.

It ending the turn has a hidden benefit not many people mention, being that it forces him to the front to tank. This means if there's not any good matches on the board, you can force the opponent into taking that sub-optimal match and gives you more options to work with. It's a surprisingly good power with that in mind, as a board is not always ripe with good match options and sometimes you don't want a particular character to be in the front.

The red, while limited in value, has its benefits in allowing you to focus one character while taking huge cleaves out of the remaining two. Likewise, it causes a rather big headache on defense because getting hit with an 8k burst for 8 red is never fun for anyone.

The team I run him in would be something to the effect of Drax + Iceman + Nova, since both Nova and Iceman have abilities on the cheaper side of things. There's the fun one-two punch of popping Iceman's tile with Drax, creating two 4 turn stuns on the enemy, and Nova's red will stay a viable option after Drax has chunked some people down while still creating a slower game for the opponent to play. Iceman also makes a great closer with his green after Drax has punched someone for big damage, allowing you to finish them off.

Another team I would consider would be something like Drax + 3* IM + Iceman for much of the same reason, only IM basically guarantees you'll have some kind of a follow-up to your purple. Plus, there's a huge benefit to NOT making a match on the last turn of recharge. The fewer tiles moved on a good board, the less chance there is the opponent will be able to match away your tiles. It also gives Drax a free red chunky hit or two and the combination of two chops on the backline plus one Iceman green almost promises the only thing left will be a 4-turn stunned enemy on the front and any stragglers can be cleaned up with relative ease. Also again gives Drax that great option to pop Iceman's blue tile allowing for more stuns, and taking Drax's black down to just 3 covers means that in the off chance the CPU does use it, you aren't completely ****.
  • Pylgrim
    Options
    Blahahah wrote:
    I'm SUPER biased here, so take it with a grain of salt, but I feel like Drax's best combination actually does involve his purple.

This is, of course, assuming you are running a very specific comp, however Drax only fits into two or three teams realistically so take from that what you will.
    Drax's purple + red is honestly his best combination as there's not as much value in blowing up the countdowns of other users in his tier. There's only, like, 2 better purple users.

It ending the turn has a hidden benefit not many people mention, being that it forces him to the front to tank. This means if there's not any good matches on the board, you can force the opponent into taking that sub-optimal match and gives you more options to work with. It's a surprisingly good power with that in mind, as a board is not always ripe with good match options and sometimes you don't want a particular character to be in the front.

The red, while limited in value, has its benefits in allowing you to focus one character while taking huge cleaves out of the remaining two. Likewise, it causes a rather big headache on defense because getting hit with an 8k burst for 8 red is never fun for anyone.

The team I run him in would be something to the effect of Drax + Iceman + Nova, since both Nova and Iceman have abilities on the cheaper side of things. There's the fun one-two punch of popping Iceman's tile with Drax, creating two 4 turn stuns on the enemy, and Nova's red will stay a viable option after Drax has chunked some people down while still creating a slower game for the opponent to play. Iceman also makes a great closer with his green after Drax has punched someone for big damage, allowing you to finish them off.

Another team I would consider would be something like Drax + 3* IM + Iceman for much of the same reason, only IM basically guarantees you'll have some kind of a follow-up to your purple. Plus, there's a huge benefit to NOT making a match on the last turn of recharge. The fewer tiles moved on a good board, the less chance there is the opponent will be able to match away your tiles. It also gives Drax a free red chunky hit or two and the combination of two chops on the backline plus one Iceman green almost promises the only thing left will be a 4-turn stunned enemy on the front and any stragglers can be cleaned up with relative ease. Also again gives Drax that great option to pop Iceman's blue tile allowing for more stuns, and taking Drax's black down to just 3 covers means that in the off chance the CPU does use it, you aren't completely ****.

Hey, I welcome all discussion and it's actually good to hear from someone whose opinion differs from mine. I hadn't noticed that indeed there are not many truly efficient pure damage purple abilities in 4* and most of them are tied to CDs or double casts of a power. I gues the problem is that the best ability in the tier (Mind Over Matter) is so overwhelmingly better than any of the alternatives (12k total, immediate and unconditional damage plus utility!) that is easy to forget about the others.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Blahahah wrote:

Hey, I welcome all discussion and it's actually good to hear from someone whose opinion differs from mine. I hadn't noticed that indeed there are not many truly efficient pure damage purple abilities in 4* and most of them are tied to CDs or double casts of a power. I gues the problem is that the best ability in the tier (Mind Over Matter) is so overwhelmingly better than any of the alternatives (12k total damage plus upside!) that is easy to forget about the others.
    I use Jean Grey in a team with Drax for the purpose of having a better purple for AoE, but for the sake of discussion I'm simply pointing out that purple + red is probably his best. He still isn't quite viable yet.
  • Pylgrim
    Options
    Blahahah wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Hey, I welcome all discussion and it's actually good to hear from someone whose opinion differs from mine. I hadn't noticed that indeed there are not many truly efficient pure damage purple abilities in 4* and most of them are tied to CDs or double casts of a power. I gues the problem is that the best ability in the tier (Mind Over Matter) is so overwhelmingly better than any of the alternatives (12k total damage plus upside!) that is easy to forget about the others.
    I use Jean Grey in a team with Drax for the purpose of having a better purple for AoE, but for the sake of discussion I'm simply pointing out that purple + red is probably his best. He still isn't quite viable yet.

Fair enough! It's good to hear a different perspective. I haven't played much with Drax, but I have almost fully covered him since I wrote that, so my perspective may change once I've been actually playing with him.
  • an1979
    an1979 Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Very nice!

One thing
    Nova got skipped in first - yellow red - writeup?
  • Pylgrim
    Options
    an1979 wrote:
    Very nice!

One thing
    Nova got skipped in first - yellow red - writeup?

Good eye and thanks for letting me know! It was there at some point (got referenced in the closing paragraph, but must have been accidentally erased during a revision.)
  • ajfahre
    ajfahre Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    Options
    This is another thread that has been ruined by the new character limit of the new forum?  Does anyone have the text of the full breakdown?  

@Pylgrim Is there any chance that you have it and can copy back in a new post?