Gauntlet-style PVE alternative to easing 4 star transition

trey9
trey9 Posts: 102
What if there was some kind of game mode that was similar to gauntlet that rewarded a 4 star cover for completion (or maybe 2 covers) but there was NO SCALING so that only the top 5-10% could reach the finish and earn the covers? Ideally it would be shorter than gauntlet, but just as challenging as the last partition of gauntlet. And since there would be no chance of 1-2 star rosters beating the nodes (because everyone would be facing the same very high level opponents), only the people that should rightfully be in the 3-4 star transition could earn the cover. Obviously the number of people that earn the cover would be dependent on how hard the devs made the nodes, so they could fine tune how many people are able to earn the cover (or covers).

Similar to the gauntlet, there should be no alliance rewards, because we don't need even more placement stress than we already have. This mode would also reward deep rosters and would encourage people to level their pve specific heroes and not just the typical pvp powerhouses.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Without scaling, how would this not just be people with already 4 star rosters dominating? In order to make it tough for people with 4 star rosters, they would need to make it impossible for people with 3 star rosters. Or people would have to use ridiculous numbers of boosts.
  • Nellobee
    Nellobee Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    It should award only 4* covers older than, say 6 months. And it should be designed for a 3* roster to finish.
    That would work.
  • Hulk11
    Hulk11 Posts: 435
    edited February 2015
    Unless they add 5 stars there probably won't be a 4 star transition for many people. It's pretty clear only top players have useable 4 stars. I got pretty lucky on some grabs and have 4 x force covers. Won't be using him over patch for a really long time. Even if you get super lucky (especially in this scenario), ranking an odd 4 star would kill your pve, you'd never play again and be locked into odd pvp matches only. I don't disagree with easing a transition lol. There just won't be one without that change like they did for 2s.
  • trey9
    Right, to clarify, people with established 3 star rosters should be able to complete this mode and earn their covers.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    So, is the reason you only want this in a gauntlet mode and not just as a progression reward in a regular PvE because you DON'T want 2 star players to be able to get it? I don't see the harm in just having the top progression rewards be 4 star in every pve. Still only 5 or so 4 star covers in a month, and for different characters, so it would still take forever to max cover this way.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    How about forcing each node to include two required 3* chars that receive only minor boosts? It allows you to bring someone to complement the duo, but youre pretty screwed if you dont have at least one of the required leveled. Do a dozen of those nodes and you would have to have a well developed (both deep and leveled) roster to have a chance at finishing. Maybe allow them to be completed out of order, setting the rewards as progression working up to a 4*.

To make it harder, maybe lock out the 4*s. Some will argue that that punishes those who have 4*s, but if the goal is for a player well into 3* land to finish, whats the actual harm as someone with 4*s should already have a good 3* roster.
  • trey9
    MarvelMan wrote:
    How about forcing each node to include two required 3* chars that receive only minor boosts? It allows you to bring someone to complement the duo, but youre pretty screwed if you dont have at least one of the required leveled. Do a dozen of those nodes and you would have to have a well developed (both deep and leveled) roster to have a chance at finishing. Maybe allow them to be completed out of order, setting the rewards as progression working up to a 4*.

To make it harder, maybe lock out the 4*s. Some will argue that that punishes those who have 4*s, but if the goal is for a player well into 3* land to finish, whats the actual harm as someone with 4*s should already have a good 3* roster.

That might be a good idea as well. But two required characters seems like a bit much. One would be better I think, especially if it is like the gauntlet, where you need to finish one node to even attempt the next. Because if you needed two required chars, that would make it so only people with most 3 stars maxed could finish. My original idea was for people with maybe 8 or more maxed 3 stars to be able to complete this mode.
  • MarvelMan
    If the goal is to limit the 4* to those who are working on the 3* -> 4* transition by using a deep roster as the selection condition, then the best way is to limit the character choices, or people will always bring the same two (similar to PVP).
  • I thought about this idea a while ago and I think the easiest way is make something like Gauntlet and after completing you get to buy a predetermined 4* cover for only 500 HP. If you look at the PvP scenario, there's a certain target they're shooting for in terms of HP spent to hit 1000, and it's a number greater than about 300 HP for sure (that was what it took before shield CD changes). Difficulty alone isn't sufficient because even if it works, it'd be so hard that only the guys who don't need it can beat it in the first place, not unlike the PvP scene where the guys who can comfortably hit 1000 while not spending much are usually the guys who don't really need it. So while I certainly think they should clean up the format itself with perhaps a large number of teamup nodes (this also means you're never locked out of any node regardless of who you do not have, though of course the chance of winning with only the default characters can be nearly nonexistent) but 4* still need to cost something. Hopefully by puttng a 500 HP price tag this allows the difficulty to be set at a point where it's plausible for the guys on transition to beat it.
  • MarvelMan
    Phantron wrote:
    I thought about this idea a while ago and I think the easiest way is make something like Gauntlet and after completing you get to buy a predetermined 4* cover for only 500 HP. If you look at the PvP scenario, there's a certain target they're shooting for in terms of HP spent to hit 1000, and it's a number greater than about 300 HP for sure (that was what it took before shield CD changes). Difficulty alone isn't sufficient because even if it works, it'd be so hard that only the guys who don't need it can beat it in the first place, not unlike the PvP scene where the guys who can comfortably hit 1000 while not spending much are usually the guys who don't really need it. So while I certainly think they should clean up the format itself with perhaps a large number of teamup nodes (this also means you're never locked out of any node regardless of who you do not have, though of course the chance of winning with only the default characters can be nearly nonexistent) but 4* still need to cost something. Hopefully by puttng a 500 HP price tag this allows the difficulty to be set at a point where it's plausible for the guys on transition to beat it.

Are you thinking entrance fee or once complete you have the option to buy?

I think the difficulty goal was to make a 4* achievable for more than just the top 1% so that there is legitimate progress to be made. Locking two of the chars, while offering loaners, works by testing roster depth so it is more than just difficulty.
  • MarvelMan wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    I thought about this idea a while ago and I think the easiest way is make something like Gauntlet and after completing you get to buy a predetermined 4* cover for only 500 HP. If you look at the PvP scenario, there's a certain target they're shooting for in terms of HP spent to hit 1000, and it's a number greater than about 300 HP for sure (that was what it took before shield CD changes). Difficulty alone isn't sufficient because even if it works, it'd be so hard that only the guys who don't need it can beat it in the first place, not unlike the PvP scene where the guys who can comfortably hit 1000 while not spending much are usually the guys who don't really need it. So while I certainly think they should clean up the format itself with perhaps a large number of teamup nodes (this also means you're never locked out of any node regardless of who you do not have, though of course the chance of winning with only the default characters can be nearly nonexistent) but 4* still need to cost something. Hopefully by puttng a 500 HP price tag this allows the difficulty to be set at a point where it's plausible for the guys on transition to beat it.

Are you thinking entrance fee or once complete you have the option to buy?

I think the difficulty goal was to make a 4* achievable for more than just the top 1% so that there is legitimate progress to be made. Locking two of the chars, while offering loaners, works by testing roster depth so it is more than just difficulty.

I'm thinking you pay after you completed the objectives but if they feel more greedy it can be an entrance fee too. If things do cost an entrance fee they should be setup like the buy-in event where you're at least guaranteed some stuff if you don't finish it. I think Elite was 500 HP with guaranteed 3 heroic? That's not a good buy but at least it's no different than if you accidentally bought 3 heroic tokens, so something along those lines could work too but I don't think that'd be very successful.

Something that's sufficiently difficult to worth a 4* would be way too hard for most people who need the 4*s in the first place. You end up having a similar case for shield hop where you sort of have to do it on faith and that doesn't seem to be a good idea because if you guessed wrong on the number of health packs/boosts you bought you could fail spectucularly. Currently in PvP some people might only need 200 HP to hit 1000 and some people might need 1000 HP and some might not be able to hit it all and whatever this averages out seems to be something D3 is willing to take. But I think it'd be easier to just require a payment of whatever the average turns out to be while setting the bar slightly lower for a PvE analog.
  • Great suggestion

they will give you Wonderwoman as final prize or Eletkra
  • I'm a little disappointed. Actually I think that they should of put a 4* as the last reward for this gauntlet instead of a dead pool cause it was hard. I've gotten all the rewards except for deadpoool and I don't think I'm going too cause at this point scaling is crazy and well he's not worth it.
  • Maybe i expect too much but one 4* per bracket (all 3* colours) would be more attractive
    Or hell, just the last cover being a 4*
    Why to beat a full gaunlet for a Loki green if you will get 2 later on a pvp?
    If they wanted to ease transition or even to get more money they should make the 3 colours achievable since the start
  • what 4* transition? I can't even make it past 2*

Also, they're just gonna release more and more 4* as top 50 PVE prizes, there's no hope