Leveling weaker characters for buffed tournaments

Options
2»

Comments

• NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    From Divine Champions I think I only want progression rewards and red x-force wolvie, so I'll hold onto my iso for now. Hopefully ares doesn't pop up in future events, since I really don't want to pump iso into 2*s from now on.
  • Phantron wrote:
    and if you got Thor they'll hold the green for Call of the Storm anyway), it's hard to imagine the AI using Onslaught effectively anyway.
    I didn't realize the AI prioritizes CotS over other green attacks? Is this for sure? I know I've been hit by Onslaught a few times today by teams running Ares and Thor at the same time. And Rags has likewise done his obnoxious Godlike Power every single turn in some matches.
  • You should applaud when the AI uses Godlike Power, considering it could've used Onslaught. Then again, it's pretty bad at using Onslaught - prone to just tossing it out at 6AP for manageable damage, ideally to a Hulk, and feeding your Ares.

Yes, this is a fairly recent change (within the past couple of weeks, I think). No one is sure exactly what it's doing afaik, but the AI will now often sit on AP for an indeterminate number of turns if it has a more expensive skill using the same color. I've even seen it use Thunderous Clap instead of other available greens, but that seems rare. I reckon even the AI knows it's pretty awful.

It has made things a bit more interesting, because it's marginally less predictable when the AI will throw skills at you, so protecting squishies like **Widow and Spider-Man isn't as trivial as it was.
  • Modern Storm and Oasis environ is pretty good.

Wait until 50ap then cast it twice. filling the board with greens, get enough ap to cast lightning storm and get more ap again.
  • Veracity wrote:
    Yes, this is a fairly recent change (within the past couple of weeks, I think). No one is sure exactly what it's doing afaik, but the AI will now often sit on AP for an indeterminate number of turns if it has a more expensive skill using the same color. I've even seen it use Thunderous Clap instead of other available greens, but that seems rare. I reckon even the AI knows it's pretty awful.

It has made things a bit more interesting, because it's marginally less predictable when the AI will throw skills at you, so protecting squishies like **Widow and Spider-Man isn't as trivial as it was.

I've noticed this - very unpredictable to deal with defensively.
  • I think the game would be much more interesting if it offered on a weekly basis tournaments where you can use only some of your heroes based on their affiliation and no tournaments like that every 1-2 months. However to do that they should have released from the start 4-5 heroes that belong in each of these groups instead of giving 2-3 versions of some heroes just because they happened to test many versions which they liked. For example instead of giving another Wolverine, they could give the exact same abilities to Sabretooth as a member of the Brotherhood or X-23 as a member of X-Force to start expanding these group as well.

Also, limiting the max * level of all teams to 7* would make almost all 2* and 1* useful again as fillers to the 2x3*+1* or 3*+2x2* or 4*+2*+1* teams. As things are now they could release 100 1* heroes and no one will care as they will be obviously a lot weaker than the 3* and 4*.

Alternatively, a minor penalty to teams that have mixed heroes and villains would make sense as these characters are unlikely to fight together in reality. It is obviously a game and not theMarvel universe, but still, having rules like this would make some heroes relevant even if they don't have the best abilities. It would also allow for more heroes without having their abilities overlap since they cant fight in the same team (like Spiderman and Venom).

Oh, and something last. I find it extremely unproductive that in all the space the UI offers, they could not fit a list of traits so we know which damage boost works on which hero (possibly to offer additional information that can be used in the future for team-ups). Starting with the race (Human, Mutant, God, Alien, etc.) followed by the team they belong (X-Men, X-Force, Avengers, etc.) and finally by the era if one is needed (Classic, Modern, etc.). It is impressive that no one in the design team though it would be a good idea to add 2-3 words in a trait area.
  • Narkon wrote:

Also, limiting the max * level of all teams to 7* would make almost all 2* and 1* useful again as fillers to the 2x3*+1* or 3*+2x2* or 4*+2*+1* teams. As things are now they could release 100 1* heroes and no one will care as they will be obviously a lot weaker than the 3* and 4*.
    I don't think I would like that as a permanent change. But as a special tournament, that would be pretty interesting. Also, a tournament that requires you to use a 1*, 2* and 3*, one of each, would be cool. They've done 1* only tournies and I think 2* only, so I don't see why not.
  • pumkin wrote:
    Narkon wrote:

I don't think I would like that as a permanent change. But as a special tournament, that would be pretty interesting. Also, a tournament that requires you to use a 1*, 2* and 3*, one of each, would be cool. They've done 1* only tournies and I think 2* only, so I don't see why not.
    True, thinking about it some more, not letting you use a 3x3* team on PvE would disturb the balance of almost all the NPC match-ups. And even in the PvP it feels too restricting. However I would like to tournaments with such limitations a lot more often than once every 2 months. I have been playing for 4-5 weeks and I have not seen a 1* or 2* tournament. I would have to spend a lot of ISO to my 1* though as only Iron Man, Storm and BW are high enough and even them are not maxed (moved to 2* after 2 weeks in the game)
  • The AI now holds their attacks for what seems to be a random amount of turns (probably not totally random, but sure is hard to predict) if they've a bigger move to use in the same color. In this tournament, since you're almost certain to face Thor, this means the AI will be holding green for a while and that Onslaught seems to always be the turn you have OBW or Spiderman in front. This also means even if they have Feral Claws they won't always use it, so you can't protect your healers as easily.

This also means it's less of a penalty to have overlapping color skills on your own team because you don't know when the AI will use those skills. In fact, having overlapping color skills might be an advantage since that makes it very hard to decide when you want have OBW/Spiderman match something. If you have only one skill in a color, the AI still uses it as soon as that skill is available.