PvP side event idea to reward roster diversity

I think many people are tired of seeing the same old rosters at the top of the rankings. In order to reward roster diversity, and increase in team variations, I came up with a new PvP event idea.

* Color restricted PvP:

2+ day events similar to current PvP, but it runs in parallel, and the score does not go towards the season total.

The selected color changes every event, but for every event instead of a fixed hero, a color is chosen, and that color is completely replaced by duds. When you match these duds, they do normal match damage, but you don't get any APs for them and you don't get any passives triggered related to this color. Essentially, we are getting rid of a color for each short PvP event. For example, on a green event, all green abilities become useless, therefore you won't see as much X-Force as we do now, and we will have to invent new team combination (which I think is the most fun part of this game, derailed by having many of the combinations being not viable currently).

The reward structure could be similar to current PvPs, but maybe less rewarding, something like multiple hero tokens instead of guaranteed 3* so that people will still put more effort into the main PvPs, but have something else to spend time on.

I think having lots of different side events going constantly is a good thing, both for players (to speed up progression whenever they choose to play) and for d3 so that people will need more health packs if they want to play more of these optional events. These side events, like lightning rounds, should not be tied to alliances though, because alliance commitment 'forces' you to play things certain ways, and that is bad (as seen in 3hr refresh PvEs).

Also, maybe less interesting, but I've seen it suggested elsewhere, where we could have some sort of side PvP event that only allow 2* heroes, or an event that only allow 3* heroes. which prevents something like the following (image from this thread viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23573 credit to SnowcaTT) from happening:

X-forceonlysmall.jpg

which in my opinion takes all the fun out of playing. What's the point of adding new heroes every 2 weeks when nobody is willing to play them. Nerfing X-force too much would be bad for everyone who spent time, money, and effort, getting them. So these side events are my suggested fix. What do you guys think?

Comments

• It's interesting, and I don't see it happening in this p2w game. People get frustrated when they can't use the heroes that they worked/paid for especially as evidenced by heroics. D3 would see legions of angry people blaming them for making a bad decision. Perhaps if this was a fully paid actual puzzle game we would see such a thing.
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Wouldn't that just pare down the options people use, as they most likely wouldn't use characters with that color? What about abilities that convert tiles colors?
  • Nah that's why Im suggesting we add new stuff like these as side event which dont have any impact on the season or alliance scores. Just like lightning rounds you play the ones you want to play for some extra iso and tokens.

The reason i suggested roster restriction was that it gives you a chance to play your sub optimal teams when you reach the end game so that the heroes you like but arent the most powerful dont just rot in your roster. Also it encourages transitioners with limited rosters to play competitively for some color combos.
  • What about for this idea just locking out characters with green. Can play with anyone who has no green powers. Still leaves lots of options but jumbles the team compositions up a lot and doesn't require creation of a new in game mechanic.
  • Yup that works too and probably much easier to implement for the devs. I just want to make more use of my non top tier heroes.
  • why not just have the color not in the board? they did it with team up tiles in the beginning of the prologue levels.
  • That will make cascades much more likely to happen, which means more randomness and less skill icon_e_smile.gif Personally I would prefer less randomness, but I'm not too fussed about the rules I've mentioned. Just throwing it out there.
  • if you don't remove the color and you are fighting the A.I. it adds another handicap to the dumb as dirt A.I. and it will be trying to match the color.