Events don't feel special because rewards are too static

Options
Pretty much as the title says. I haven't cared about an event other than casually playing for ISO for 3 weeks now because all we get are more and more hulk / punisher / new hero that's going to be buffed for 1 event covers excepting those who finish #1.

This is a poor model because everyone gets SPAMMED with the same cover until they don't care or distinguish between events anymore.

It should just be totally random what the reward heros are. This promotes horizontal growth instead of vertical, which means more variation in teams instead of everybody using the same heros with because they got spammed with them recently. Also it makes it more rewarding to constantly play because there aren't these periods of 'well, divine blah blah tournament .... moar punishers ... check back next week I guess'.

Comments

• Not everyone is as fortunate as you maxing out covers weeks after they have been released. There are players struggling to place to get a single 3* cover.
  • Pretty much as the title says. I haven't cared about an event other than casually playing for ISO for 3 weeks now because all we get are more and more hulk / punisher / new hero that's going to be buffed for 1 event covers excepting those who finish #1.

This is a poor model because everyone gets SPAMMED with the same cover until they don't care or distinguish between events anymore.

It should just be totally random what the reward heros are. This promotes horizontal growth instead of vertical, which means more variation in teams instead of everybody using the same heros with because they got spammed with them recently. Also it makes it more rewarding to constantly play because there aren't these periods of 'well, divine blah blah tournament .... moar punishers ... check back next week I guess'.

I.always thought a rewards option.in games was nice. Win first place select either a blue IW or a green wolvie (4**** pack,.but we only have 2 **** now..need around 4+ to make a pack.at all.viable). 2-5 wolvie full colors or 3 special 3*** only packs. 3rd tier 2 colors wolvie or 2 3*** packs (no chance at 4***...just 3***)..etc. gives ppl more of a reason to play every event. Then again. Breaks are nice too..though the new PvP doesn't make you WANT to play a lot anyway right now.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    I concur. I had Ares fully built out, cover-wise, after the first few sub missions and then barely participated in the final iterations. I was barely active in the second Ares buffed event as I knew that getting the progression rewards were going to require effort, and a ton of luck, plus the final placement was going to be hit or miss depending on how hard you got hit at the end. Couple those issues with lack of a clear goal in the game (such as Rag/Mag) and I dabble rather than play.
  • Fangel wrote:
    Not everyone is as fortunate as you maxing out covers weeks after they have been released. There are players struggling to place to get a single 3* cover.

I don't think this is the case. 3*'s aren't even good right now for one thing ... other than SM/Mag, both of whom are getting nerfed.

Take the ares tournament. Just about the best team anybody could have fielded would have been wolverine, ares, and original black widow. Could have subbed in thor if you don't have OBW. 2 out of 3 of those are given out willy nilly in the campaign. Ares has been given out daily in a 10 day event.

Using this team and the required 2-3 weeks a new player has to play to level them up, anybody can be competing in tournaments with as equal a footing as anybody else. If anybody is having such a hard time getting one 3* cover I'd have to say they're just not playing even at a casual level.
  • - Only a few cstorm/wolv covers are given out in the prologue post patch
    - Newer players lack ISO required to level them up to a decent level
    - Not all players are able to beat all missions to obtain ares
    - 10% of players in a bracket get 3* covers ... so 90% of players are less than casual?
  • Using this team and the required 2-3 weeks a new player has to play to level them up, anybody can be competing in tournaments with as equal a footing as anybody else. If anybody is having such a hard time getting one 3* cover I'd have to say they're just not playing even at a casual level.

Huh? It seems like 3* covers start going out to the top 9% (top 90 of 1000 players). Isn't the definition of a casual someone who does NOT place in the top 9%?
  • Clintman
    Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Most players do not get the 3* covers like spam. Only those of us who have established teams are getting them. My wife and brother in law play quite a bit, but are more casual. My wife has only a few Punisher covers, and only maxed out her Ares covers at the end, my brother in law who lacked a punisher cover only got like 5 Ares covers, neither of them are rolling in 3* covers! but they play consistently because I get rewards from them every day.

I on the other hand have every cover, I often rank in first or in top five and have several maxed out 3*toons. I get the punisher covers, hulk covers etc and sell them, because they are already maxed out, my wife and brother in law have never even seen all the colors of those toons let alone have them maxed out.

It is easy to assume that just because you are well progressed I. The game that anyone can, or that everyone gets the rewards, but they don't. It is the high power players that already have the maxed covers that take all the rewards that they don't even use.

It is necessary for the Devs to infuse covers to get new players up to a competitive level.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    I would suggest Im a pretty typical casual/mid player. I have no maxed three stars (only one close is Spidey at 3/4/5 and lvl 60). Using a lvl 84 Thor and lvl 70 Wolv I didnt try ANY of the 200/240 missions even once, yet I had Ares cover maxed by the fifth cycle of the Hunt. Plus about 40k of iso in the bank, which got Ares up to level 70 and i still had some left. As GLNYC points out, that is really all that was required to do well (but not top 5) in the Hunt and Ares. I didnt even play the 2nd round of Ares or the last Hunt submission, plus barely played the two before, and I still sold almost a dozen Ares covers. Okay, so maybe I put in a bit more time than a "true" casual player at ~1.5 hours per sub mission but that's not insane.
  • Reward are static if you spend your "life" on the game. If I had not taken part of the hunt (busy week for example) then Ares would only be from the 2 rage and ruins tourney (fryday and week end).

For punisher, I do not know what is your roster, I am at 50 days of play, took part in both hulk over the holydays and my punisher is 2/3/3 so punisher reward is something I still need 'especially black). My hulk is 4/2/2 so other covers would be welcomed....

I can understand that top players feel bored but they can take a break from playing this game for a while to wait for new heroes and PvP system. I never pplay a game I find boring it is kind of an antithesis (a game is to have fun and/or compete otherwise it is no game)
  • Fangel wrote:
    Not everyone is as fortunate as you maxing out covers weeks after they have been released. There are players struggling to place to get a single 3* cover.

Thanks for summing my thoughts icon_e_biggrin.gif

I'm working on my Punisher, curently he is a 1/1/1 , so i got a lot of work ahead of me.

But the fact is that there are indeed many people who already got a full Punisher. This tournament is useless to them, as many other tournaments.
    Perhaps they should do something to keep them interested.

For example, something like this... a sub event (like the hunt had alaska, florida, savage lands), that would require Punisher. It could give some "Punisher points" ,and they would receive some different rewards for them (like a secondary progression reward, only for the people who already got Punisher).
    It's not necesary to give them covers, since they pretty much got everything.. but what about giving ISO and HP as rewards
  • I play casually and usually get 10k ISOs a day at a minimum when there is a major event going on... To those who say you can't level up with ISOs quickly enough I say hogwash...There is plenty of opportunities to level up...You just have to take advantage of the ISO when it is given out...
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    WilliamK99 wrote:
    I play casually and usually get 10k ISOs a day at a minimum when there is a major event going on... To those who say you can't level up with ISOs quickly enough I say hogwash...There is plenty of opportunities to level up...You just have to take advantage of the ISO when it is given out...

Yeah, with PvE events, I always get a ton of ISO. I spent all of my banked ISO on Ares at the very start of his tournament, and I'm now back at 70K banked after...6 days? And that's with using tons of boosts during the (second) Ares tournament.
  • WilliamK99 wrote:
    I play casually and usually get 10k ISOs a day at a minimum when there is a major event going on... To those who say you can't level up with ISOs quickly enough I say hogwash...There is plenty of opportunities to level up...You just have to take advantage of the ISO when it is given out...

10k a day is nothing when leveling 3* characters. After level 66+ it's over 1k to level up and I'm working on 4 characters. It may be fine for you, but that's a drought for me.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    And there is only a fixed amount of rewards from PvE anyway. Playing casually vs hardcore, all you'd likely pick up is the extra 500 ISO and/or 100/token from the 3-4 repeatables per subevent. Like, an extra thousand or two at most
  • I would love to see an option to trade covers. I'm still playing my tail off to get IW and Wolverine covers, but already have punisher filled out. Would be nice to be able to trades these to someone who maybe has a spare magento. Guess this would be pretty counterproductive to the profit motive, but better than selling them for pennies on the dollar.
  • They'd never allow trading of covers because all that does is encourage the few rich guys who can win these covers selling them, and if they're going to do that, they can just cut out the middleman and sell you the cover themselves.
  • Phantron wrote:
    They'd never allow trading of covers because all that does is encourage the few rich guys who can win these covers selling them, and if they're going to do that, they can just cut out the middleman and sell you the cover themselves.
    A way to deal with that is to tax all trades.
  • Phantron wrote:
    They'd never allow trading of covers because all that does is encourage the few rich guys who can win these covers selling them, and if they're going to do that, they can just cut out the middleman and sell you the cover themselves.

Why would they tax such trades when they can simply make 100% of the profit by supplying the said cover themselves? D3 literally has an infinite supply of any cover you could possibly want to trade.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

Why would they tax such trades when they can simply make 100% of the profit by supplying the said cover themselves? D3 literally has an infinite supply of any cover you could possibly want to trade.
    Well if a card costs 250 to buy. Both players could be taxed 150 each. So per transaction there's a bigger profit. 150 vs 250 is also a bigger incentive, allowing a bigger volume of transactions as well.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

Well if a card costs 250 to buy. Both players could be taxed 150 each. So per transaction there's a bigger profit. 150 vs 250 is also a bigger incentive, allowing a bigger volume of transactions as well.

If they believe there's a market for that you'd just have daily special like "Magento covers only 500 to upgrade today!" They'd keep 100% of the profit instead just a portion of it.