Hoarders

Options
ballingbees
ballingbees Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
edited February 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
So time to come out of the closet. I'm a (reluctant) hoarder.
My humble stash:
Iso : 1,113,823
HP : 8275
Heroic tokens: 68
Heroic 10pack: 3
PVE tokens: 87
PVP tokens: 19
Standard tokens: 205
Deadpool pts: enough for 9 megawhales

So why do I hoard? I blame vaulting. Started hoarding tokens when Magneto, Daken and Panther were taken. No point opening tokens if I cannot get the characters I really wanted. And no point splashing Iso if it isn't for the characters I really wanted, which are unavailable thanks to point 1 above. The HP are meant for my (3/2/2)XF fund, since there is no other reliable way of getting him.

So one season of wait led to two, and three. At first the hoarded tokens fuelled anticipation, now even the anticipation is waning. I am not at the very least proud of my stash. In fact, I find that if game mechanics led to this kind of behavoir, it is kind of screwy. If it can keep a ftp from opening his tokens, it would surely keep whales from spending on them too, no? It would be funny if I finally decided to splash the Iso/HP, and promptly get sandboxed.

So does anyone have hoarding habits too?

Comments

• Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I didn't really feel like I needed to hoard until the XForce fix last year. After that, I stopped spending ISO on my 3* roster and just waited. By the time I had XF fully covered, I had enough ISO to max him, but wanted to keep a small buffer of ~30k. So I manual dumped what I could - that was not fun, btw - and just used him at the sub-optimal 4/4/5. After I had enough to hit 270, I splashed out with HP and bough a black cover (still missing that last green, but I've nearly got enough HP for that now).

After XF was done, I went back to hoarding - since I don't have anything else I need to spend it on - and I'll put it all onto characters that I just kind of like now. After Daredevil was updated, I maxed him. And I took Blade up to level ~140 (still missing some covers). I'm back at about 70k at the moment. That's probably 6-8 weeks effort from me.

I generally don't hoard tokens. Even opening 5 or 6 silvers is just a boring process, so I don't like to let it get too high. I'll was in the habit of saving heroics in the lead up to the vault roll over, but since there's now usually 2 or 3 characters that I do kind of want covers for, I'll just use them as I get them. It doesn't make much difference, getting 2* covers today is the same as getting 2* covers in a week's time. It's just a matter of *when* I'll be disappointed, not if.
  • I think hoarding is just a good way of optimizing your gameplay if you're patient enough. Especially if you're f2p and don't have hp hoarded, it doesn't make sense to open tokens as soon as you get them. The transition at the beginning of the game is especially bad for this.
  • Square
    Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I rarely hoard, just usually for two weeks or so if I know a cover is being unvaulted.

I want to suggest, in order to enjoy the game more: don't wait for XF covers. Build a great 3* roster and win them through progression. It's not that difficult. You won't have a massive ISO bank, but covers are more important than levels with him. I am the same way with 4hor. Currently 423. I'm playing my regular team, and now that I've decided to finish her off, I'm setting 1,000 as a pvp target whenever she's up (got a red in the Storm pvp).

It costs 300-750 hp to shield jump, but it's less than 2500. You'll play the game more, and get a massive adrenalin bump when you do it. I averaged about 900 in the pre-shard pvp and pushed to 1300 to finish off my XF. It was super-satisfying to get it.

Don't be afraid of 4hor and XF in pvp. Get a good team (Patch/DD, Thor/Hood etc) and push through.
  • Baddkitty
    Options
    i've got 1990iso
    10hp
    and no tokens ! icon_e_biggrin.gif

I don't hoard. I've tried hoarding 20 standard covers, but once i hit 20..i couldn't take it and opened them. I did get 2 gold covers and 2 2* i needed. I don't hoard iso either. I'll save it until i have enough to push up 10 levels for whichever toon i'm working on. I don't level 1lvl at a time.

The most ISO i've ever had was 29k , and that was my beginner account and i didn't really know how to gain abilities, meaning i thought "covers" were just another character. So i sold them, and spent all 29k on standard covers until i got NEW characters. lol. Ya i bailed on that account after 45days....and also shoved my head through a wall icon_lol.gif
  • Vankysher
    Vankysher Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yeah I hoard to a certain extent mostly during my early F2P days before I dropped $55 for HP.
    Currently have 300 standard tokens plus the few I've picked up at the start of this season; my peak was around 450 standard tokens but I opened a bunch of them during BoP just to build a fully covered 1* Storm & Juggernaut to leave at lvl 1.
    As for HP, I currently have it built up to around 1300 but with escalating roster spot costs having eaten into what could have been more.
  • Flare808
    Flare808 Posts: 266
    Options
    Eyeballing my totals because I don't feel like counting individual event tokens:

500k ISO
    300ish standards
    100ish loose event/heroic tokens
    9-10 packs 6 heroics/3gauntlet incoming

I hoard because none of the new characters is particularly helpful for high level PvP. Last time I opened a hoard was when 4*Thor was out into packs. I figured that I could either open the tokens one by one and sell them off for ISO or wait and save 2500 HP by getting a new 4*. I imagine that I'll be hoarding until the next gamechanging 4* hits, someone who is at the same power level as Thor and X-Force.
  • I'm hoarding too:
    though meagre in comparison to these fat-cats!
    84,000 ISO
    7600 HP
    and 94 standard tokens
    All other tokens are opened immediately and standards get opened in stacks of 100. (to guarantee a gold) (touch wood. Dang! I hope I haven't jinxed it! icon_redface.gif )

So I'm with you bro's - no covers in characters I want to spend ISO on. Though I do put a couple thousand into the boosted chars when they come round.
    Getting lots of She-hulk, Mohawk, Beast, though icon_e_biggrin.gif mark our words!: - They'll have their day! (gosh darn hope so!)
  • I used to hoard tokens but I figure the only way it's even going to matter is if:

1. A character strictly better than X Force or Thor is released.
    2. A whole mess of old characters are no longer playable at all (this would include X Force, Thor, The Hood, Loki, etc) and having strong, newly released characters actually matter.

In the first case I think that's a terrible decision and wouldn't miss not playing the game. The second case seems pretty interesting and I figure I can adapt if they really did blow up the game.

I saved up to about 12K HP before I decided to spend 7500 on Thor, so currently I don't have much HP.
  • Ive got xf 5/5/2 (226lvl) and 4or 5/3/5 (192) and about 250K ISO, why dont i max them and enter the upper echelons of pvp? because 1 word:

THANOS.

i know people vaunt others such as Dark Phoenix as the first 5*, alliance and Line mates think I'm mad(titan hehe) for believing in this so vehemently and its probably a long, long way off of a 5* release in this game. But with a rumored max cap of 1.1mil ISO i wanna make sure i have a sizeable stash saved up for when the Mad Titan decides to grace our realm

#Believing4InfinityGauntlet
  • Unknown
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Couple of questions since I'm new, does hoarding ten individual Heroic tokens mean you can open them up as a 10-pack for the bonus draw rates? Or is a 10-pack its own specific entity that can only be acquired from Season Versus rewards, or buying them with Hero Points, etc.?

Also, what happens if you hoard event-specific tokens, like the gold ones you get for Story progression/sub event rewards? Do they expire if you don't use them before the timer runs out? Or do they roll-over to the next event, like a saved 'the Hunt' token could become a 'Thick As Thieves' token? Or do they sit in your inventory unusable until that particular event returns? If so, could you also save up ten individual event-specific tokens, and then open them up as a 10-pack for bonus draw rates?

And when a character is 'vaulted' is there really no way to get that character at all until they're reintroduced? I have 2 She-Hulk covers and a Doctor Octopus cover that I feel like I got after they were vaulted, but I'm not 100% sure. I think I got at least one of the She-Hulks as a Lightning Round win reward after she was vaulted. But maybe I earned them right before they went into the vault. I've only been playing the game for 57 days according to my daily reward log, and I was probably at least 2-3 weeks into the game before I received either Doc Oc or She-Hulk, not sure exactly when they were locked up.
  • Flare808
    Flare808 Posts: 266
    Options
    mclmf wrote:
    Couple of questions since I'm new, does hoarding ten individual Heroic tokens mean you can open them up as a 10-pack for the bonus draw rates? Or is a 10-pack its own specific entity that can only be acquired from Season Versus rewards, or buying them with Hero Points, etc.?

Also, what happens if you hoard event-specific tokens, like the gold ones you get for Story progression/sub event rewards? Do they expire if you don't use them before the timer runs out? Or do they roll-over to the next event, like a saved 'the Hunt' token could become a 'Thick As Thieves' token? Or do they sit in your inventory unusable until that particular event returns? If so, could you also save up ten individual event-specific tokens, and then open them up as a 10-pack for bonus draw rates?

No, you can't combine 10 individual tokens into a 10 pack. 10 packs can only be acquired through buying or rewarded as is.

The old event tokens sit in your inventory. They do not change, but they are able to be opened. Some people will keep one of each to see which event is coming up (they usually change the background graphic a day or so early). A bonus to hoarding is that they generally also get updated draws. Say you're holding onto a bunch of tokens because there's no one you really want in packs, but Star Lord just got put into packs. You could then open your tokens with a chance to get Star Lord, even though he wasn't available when the tokens were given to you.
  • Druss
    Druss Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I don't hoard iso & HP but do hoard roster spaces

Currently have 168 standard tokens & 48 gold tokens to open (not doing so as don't have the HP required for new slot)
    I have 88 Roster slots

I also have over 500,000 deadpool points! - may have to put him to work in the gauntlet, but cant bring myself to use em!
  • I hoard HP. Currently up to about 16,800 HP or so. I realized yesterday I could get every single 3* up to 13 covers and still have at least a couple thousand left over, though I'm not going to do that.

I've never bought a cover, I only shield when I need the covers (which is rarely), I very rarely buy boosts, I've got one of each character and no duplicates. I've been telling myself I'm saving the HP for when they introduce The Thing to the game, but 1) I don't think they're going to, at least this year, and 2) I have way more than I'd need, given that I usually have someone at seven covers shortly after their intro, between PVP and PVE prizes.

I don't keep an ISO reserve, though I will probably start in a month or so, once all the current projects are over, since I don't want to level up my 4*s, and won't have anything else to spend it on.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Nick-Thor wrote:
    Ive got xf 5/5/2 (226lvl) and 4or 5/3/5 (192) and about 250K ISO, why dont i max them and enter the upper echelons of pvp? because 1 word:

THANOS.

i know people vaunt others such as Dark Phoenix as the first 5*, alliance and Line mates think I'm mad(titan hehe) for believing in this so vehemently and its probably a long, long way off of a 5* release in this game. But with a rumored max cap of 1.1mil ISO i wanna make sure i have a sizeable stash saved up for when the Mad Titan decides to grace our realm

OH FOR THE LOVE OF TINYKITTY!

The Thanos thing WAS A JOKE PEOPLE!
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I tend to hoard the characters and TUs. I have some really powerful TUs just waiting for the right time, like the release of Prof. X. And for Deadpool points, I have right at 200k on my main account and over 220k on my second. As for iso, I can't seem to keep it. As soon as I get around 10 to 15k, I spread it around, everybody gets little bit. With 1 of each, 2 of most, and 3 or 4 of some characters, yeah, I think I might have a problem.

But, in my defense, I'm a bit of a comic junkie. I currently have the 6th largest collection of comic memorabilia in my state. (117th in the country. Based on value, not volume.) It was the 4th largest collection until a house fire took some out a few months ago. I had Avengers #1 through #70 something turned to ash. All original, most in mint condition. Almost impossible to replace. But my habit of hoarding is over 25 years long, I ain't stopping now icon_e_biggrin.gif . And I know I don't technically "own" any of the things in this game, but it's still a hard habit to break.
  • All board the hoard train people.
    Have over 150+ standard.
    3 10packs heroic tokens.
    67 heroic tokens.

Now that I got max covered 4thor, x force and fury, I practically don't need anything else, so I just accumulate tokens until d3 decides to release IRON PATRIOT ! ( Yea I'm biased haha. ) or anything that is equivalent to x force or 4thor.

Used to have 20 + event tokens. But my alliance mates told me past events' drop rate won't change even after new characters come through heroic tokens. Disappointed, I opened my last season event tokens. Guess what ? I got icon_starlord.png STARLORD legen...wait for it...dary !!!! in high stakes pvp tokens. So please hoard all those tokens if you don't need anyone decent.

~ all board the hoard train ~ iso8.pngcardpack.png
  • Currently hording for Xforce. Day 115, one yellow cover.

Waiting for day 165ish, then will acquire xforce, dump iso, etc etc.

Sadly Xforce and 4thor are the only two chars in this game that mean anything.

The irony, once I have them...what's the point afterwards?
  • I use to hoard but figured there wasn't much of a point for me personally. I drew 10 standard tokens last night and drew a Gold (Squirrel Girl) so I was pretty jazzed.

Though I am converting most of it to build my ISO bank while I want to determine who is getting leveled next.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    I hoard too...Im about 800k iso as I used some on a 3* recently. The thing is that mine is not exactly willing, as I just dont have anyone to spend it on. I have most of the good chars maxed, but the good ones I dont are because I dont have the covers for them to be viable.

I also hoard standard tokens as I found a few seasons ago that it was really nice to be able to mass open and then build the Juggs/OBW/Ares I need for BOP, and the tokens dont expire while the covers would. Wait, i shouldnt be giving away that secret....oh well. Enjoy!
  • Nick-Thor wrote:
    Ive got xf 5/5/2 (226lvl) and 4or 5/3/5 (192) and about 250K ISO, why dont i max them and enter the upper echelons of pvp? because 1 word:

THANOS.

OH FOR THE LOVE OF TINYKITTY!

The Thanos thing WAS A JOKE PEOPLE!

^^^ See what I mean icon_lol.gif

But jokes aside, 1 day Thanos will be in the game. And when that day comes I will have the ISO to max him... I just hope by then the 'Hoard' hasn't reached into the 2mil