Roster slots idea

Since roster slots are a constant hot button topic, I have a very simple idea to fix it. Just change the currency to ISO and scale it based on how many slots you already have when buying roster slots instead of hp. <drops mic...walks off stage>

Comments

• It always seemed odd to me that slot prices were fixed and escalated simply based on how many characters you currently have. It seems silly if I wanted to add a level 1 Juggs and it costs me the same as a 4* character like Starlord. Why not just base it on the character level and fix it based on that. 1* would always be 50 HP, 3* 500 HP and a 4* would be 750 HP (examples only of course), if a 5* came out, it would be 1500 HP, and so on. If you delete a character, slot is gone. Would probably mean some folks are in for a refund if implemented, my 2 cents, lol.
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    I'm not understanding the first post but I like the theory of the second post and hadn't heard that angle before. I don't think refunds would be necessary though.
  • MojoWild wrote:
    I'm not understanding the first post but I like the theory of the second post and hadn't heard that angle before. I don't think refunds would be necessary though.

Basically instead of each roster slot costing x hp, it now would cost x ISO. So roster slot 10 would cost like 1000 ISO while roster slot 100 would cost 10k ISO or whatever pricing would be adequate. I know I quit buying spots ...I have 38, hp is just too costly, if it was ISO though, I would buy more roster slots cause I know I can accumulate more ISO easier than hp.
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild wrote:

Basically instead of each roster slot costing x hp, it now would cost x ISO. So roster slot 10 would cost like 1000 ISO while roster slot 100 would cost 10k ISO or whatever pricing would be adequate. I know I quit buying spots ...I have 38, hp is just too costly, if it was ISO though, I would buy more roster slots cause I know I can accumulate more ISO easier than hp.

And this is why you won't see it change to iso, as it's much easier to earn in-game.
  • Lots of folks stop buying additional roster slots because the cost escalates too high, I know plenty of people who have sold off their 1* and 2* to make room but then regret not having them for events like BoP and Combined Arms. Hard to justify a 1150 HP Roster slot for a Jugs or MBW and they end up not participating. If they still only cost 50 HP to add again (even if you had 80+ characters already), I'm sure they'd jump all over it since those covers tend to rain from the heavens these days. This would also probably deter folks from selling off characters since they don't get that roster slot back (to further promote actual roster diversity).

I don't see how this change would "break" the system, but who knows.
  • the simple matter of fact is this.... D3 wants to make money. Any change to current system or making hp or iso easier to obtain....is better for us in OUR eyes, but NOT for their business model.

It won't ever change. They want to make money.
  • MojoWild
    Wait...They're a business?! And they want to make money?!
    Just like your cell phone company, and data provider, and cable tv, and diet dew, and and and...?
    icon_e_smile.gif

That being said, a happy medium would be nice, with some kind of cap or fixed price. See my post above...
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,393 Chairperson of the Boards
    MojoWild wrote:
    Just like your cell phone company, and data provider, and cable tv, and diet dew, and and and...?
    icon_e_smile.gif

That being said, a happy medium would be nice, with some kind of cap or fixed price. See my post above...

yea but you cant compair this game to a cable company if so then i want my 70% discount rates icon_e_smile.gif

with cable you call them up and say your LEAVING and they give you a deal for a year
  • MojoWild
    slidecage wrote:
    MojoWild wrote:
    icon_e_smile.gif

yea but you cant compair this game to a cable company if so then i want my 70% discount rates icon_e_smile.gif

with cable you call them up and say your LEAVING and they give you a deal for a year

Yes cable companies do do that, it's a different business model, but still a business.
  • Baddkitty wrote:
    the simple matter of fact is this.... D3 wants to make money. Any change to current system or making hp or iso easier to obtain....is better for us in OUR eyes, but NOT for their business model.

I disagree - ok, you are right, they earn money by this, but this is just a small view.
    From bigger distance, you should see, that more slots you have, more uncomplete characters you have, more temptation for their upgrade you have and higher probability of trying shield hopping, buying covers directly etc.
    So, in the end, I think that roster slots for different currency, or at least cheaper, would be quite profitable too.

And by the way - in the very beginning, slots were for iso. Not all, but the first definitely yes.
  • Baddkitty wrote:
    the simple matter of fact is this.... D3 wants to make money. Any change to current system or making hp or iso easier to obtain....is better for us in OUR eyes, but NOT for their business model.

That's dumb we have to support fail model cause they are to dumb to capitalize elsewhere. I wouldn't mind a new event sponsored by *Insert your favorite brand here* as long as it wasn't too tacky or repetitive( yet some of their sale and regular announcements fall into this category) to get free roster slots and better token rates. heck i might even buy some thing from the advertiser to celebrate placing high in a sponsered tournament. and wouldn't it be awesome to get some Hp for buying a product you already use?
  • LOL Gerber great starts tutorial, Degree 1 hour gauntlets, febreze bad token rerolls, Franks red hot ISO boost( i put that boost on everything)
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've always advocated a cap (500 seems right), but I like scoregasms idea of slots costing HP based on the character level you are adding.

I understand D3 is trying to get money - shoot, the only money I dropped in this game so far was $20 to open enough slots initially, then $5 twice more to buy one more when I felt I really needed it - should have just dropped 1*'s at that point, that's what I'm doing now. However, with so many new characters coming all the time, you need more than a Stark Salary ($100, 20,000+ ISO) to get enough slots for each character.

I put that out there to let newbies know the "cost" of entry. You'll be tossing 3*'s left and right unless you get tons of slots open right away - if I added that up today and re-started, I would simply -not- start. I don't mind the entry fee being $20, that's reasonable! But $100?!?! If D3 is going to keep adding characters so quickly, the roster slot cost needs to go down, not up, just as quickly.
  • HP needed for new roster slots could start dropping when you hit maybe 60 slots to stabilize at around 500. So it allows D3P to profit early and still reward those ppl who spend for their loyalty.