Gain from special matches

Options
Unknown
edited January 2014 in MPQ Tips and Guides
Please someone describe the details of what I get creating more than a regular 3-match.

I noticed most 4 match give 4x1 extra AP -- but which colors? And is there any additional damage? Do I get t also for environment 4-m?

What about the 5 matches? Only the basic 5 AP and the critical tile?

How a mass match works? I noticed some rare events the opponent caused a massive explosion -- not really displayed, and was sitting on 20+ AP in like every color. I doubt that many actual tiles could really explode so I'd guess that was bonus, but how you get it?

Comments

• DirigiblePilot
    DirigiblePilot Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Match-4 destroys a row, and the character who made the match-4 also deals damage for all the tiles in that row. In addition, the damage dealt from the 4 tiles is slightly more than 4x(base tile damage), although I do not know the exact increase. AP is generated for each tile in the row, too.

Match-5 destroys the row IF there were at least 4 consecutive tiles in the match-5. For example, a straight-up-and-down match-5 destroys its column, but a T-shape does not, because there are not more than 3 in a row. Everything from match-4 otherwise applies, and in addition, a match-5 generates a critical tile and grants 1 extra turn.

There is no such mechanic as the explosion you are talking about, though. Maybe there was a massive cascade? Did MNM use his blue? Or was another power that clears tiles used? (Hulk, Storms)

I hope this has answered your questions!
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I believe (but am not 100% sure) that the damage for a 4-match equals the damage that specific character deals for each individual tile. Plus anything like strike tiles or damage boosts, of course.

So let us say you have a maxed Thor (Red is worth 50, purple is worth 9) and a maxed Daken (Red=9, Purple=32) on your team, and a 4-match in purple (Daken's symbol) clears this row:

Purple-Purple-Purple-Purple-Red-Environment-Environment-Red

That should do 146 damage (4*32 + 2*9) and generate 6 AP for the environment powers. The two reds would have been worth more if used in a normal match, since Thor would have made the attack, but since it was Daken they are worth less. If you have a team where nobody on your team has a high damage value for one of the colors, a 4-match will do less damage than a 3-match in another color. Of course, the opponent might have a high damage value for that color, and it still might be worth the AP generation and denying an attack back against yourself to do the less damaging 4-match anyway.
  • DirigiblePilot
    Options
    This is correct. If there is a match-4, the character who matches the 4 adds in their own damage for the rest of the tiles, not the optimized damage.
    Congratulations on your first post, by the way.
  • One thing of note is that a match 4 on environmental tiles does not use the strike tile bonus at all. I know I have gotten a row of 2 digit damage this way when I had a thousand damage worth of strike tiles on the field.
  • You also get a critical tile and extra turn if you get a 2x3 rectangle of the same color and I *think* if you get a 2x3 parallelogram of the same color

RRR
    RRR

OR

RRRx
    xRRR
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is correct. If there is a match-4, the character who matches the 4 adds in their own damage for the rest of the tiles, not the optimized damage.
    Congratulations on your first post, by the way.
    I've been lurking for a week. And by lurking I mean playing the tournaments non-stop. ;-p
  • DirigiblePilot
    Options
    ApolloAndy wrote:
    You also get a critical tile and extra turn if you get a 2x3 rectangle of the same color and I *think* if you get a 2x3 parallelogram of the same color

RRR
    RRR

OR

RRRx
    xRRR

Yes, you get critical tiles from just about any combination of at least 5 connected tiles imaginable. The exception (and this is a known bug that will be fixed) is a 7-tile formation that looks like an H:
    RRR
    R
    RRR

And if you slide the "bars" or the center tile in any direction, it still will not make a tile.