What about a Referral 3*?

Arondite
Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2015 in MPQ Suggestions and Feedback
Has D3 considered implementing a refer-a-friend bonus? Such as an exclusive 3* character for referrals?

You see similar in some other collectible mobile games - examples include Rage of Bahamut and Blood Brothers.

Essentially, you could have an exclusive 3* character (for explanation purposes, we will just use the Upcoming Cyclops as an example). Cyclops would not be available as a reward for events or in packs, but could be obtained by referring friends. To become eligible for referrals, you would have to register an account and your device - on iPhones or mobile devices, this could be your Account Name and UDID. For Steam devices, this would be your Steam ID and MAC Address. (This prevents one person from doubling, tripling, etc up by just making new accounts for themselves).

The first time you refer someone and they use your code or ID when they open an account, you receive Cyclops' Yellow. The referree will receive the same cover. The next time, you will receive Cyclops' Red, and the referee will receive Cyclops' Yellow. The next time, you receive Cyclops' Black and the referree still receives the original Cyclops Yellow cover. You can continue to do this, recycling through the covers and finally building up to whatever build you want. If you want to have 5 covers in Cyclops' Black, you'd have to invite at least 15 friends, for example.

Note - your friend would have to actually download the game, create an account, register their UDID and then input your referral code or else neither of you would receive this reward. This accomplishes a few things
Rewards players for inviting their friends with something more than a silver token worth about 100 Iso.
Creates a partial and sustainable solution for the 3* transition, which is a point of focus for the community and the designers. (I say sustainable, because every 3 months or so they could rotate a new character into the position).
Expands their player-base greatly - imagine if every player got 15 friends to download and try the game every 3 months. Even if only 2 or 3 continued playing after the initial download, that's an exponential growth rate.

Comments

• Arondite
    Bumping this for the attention it deserves.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,214 Chairperson of the Boards
    Arondite wrote:
    Note - your friend would have to actually download the game, create an account, register their UDID and then input your referral code or else neither of you would receive this reward.

Honestly, this sounds like too much work for most people, especially more casual players. The only people are going to do this are those who are trying to game the system to their advantage by making a bunch of new profiles on extra devices they have lying around with the sole intention of maxing the referral cover.
  • Arondite
    Pwuz_ wrote:
    Arondite wrote:
    Note - your friend would have to actually download the game, create an account, register their UDID and then input your referral code or else neither of you would receive this reward.

Honestly, this sounds like too much work for most people, especially more casual players. The only people are going to do this are those who are trying to game the system to their advantage by making a bunch of new profiles on extra devices they have lying around with the sole intention of maxing the referral cover.

You say that, but it works just fine for other games (see above examples such as Rage of Bahamut and Blood Brothers.

It's also very minimal work. Download app, click a button that says "register device", make a name. Viola.
  • Arondite
    Bumping a great idea.
  • But i already got my friends to play this game...
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    This sounds like a good idea. However, I can also see one way it can be abbused. I have a very large family, and most of them play online games. When there was a new character available, I would just contact a few of them and have them download the game. After I get the covers I want, they can just delete the game. Then I just do this over and over. So for it to work, there would need to be somethong in place to stop that. Like you only get the cover after the person you referred has actually played the game for some many hours or something. Still, a good idea though.
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Arondite wrote:
    Bumping a great idea.

The forum will decide if it's a great idea or not, no need to keep bumping it.
  • Arondite
    MojoWild wrote:
    Arondite wrote:
    Bumping a great idea.

The forum will decide if it's a great idea or not, no need to keep bumping it.

They have to see it to decide, so thanks for the free bump

n_n
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    It was already bumped near top when I replied.
    It's had 135 views and not many posts regarding the topic. So there doesn't appear to be a lot of interest in a discussion. Sometimes you just have to let it go.
  • i've referred 4 people to this game who play it almost as much as i do. A referral system would be REALLY nice !