New boost suggestion - POWER UP gems!!

h4n1s
h4n1s Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
I am still wondering why this cannot be a potential boost powerupgem.png.

Imagine you get such boost as lets say 200 pts PvP progression reward + some daily random drops + some fight drops + available for sale for price of 500 iso8.png each.

Think about it - how will it impact PVP? How will it enable you to fight those 270 walls of XForces and 4hors in 600+ pts land? Suddenly even low tier characters will get their chance to stand against those monsters. Suddenly those characters with interesting skills, but squishy health will become useful in these fights! Or your Hulk will finally tank for the team in all three of his colors, without need of artificially keeping other characters underlevelled! Or OBW will 'tank' for other black and blue casters, making her Espionage useful even with other 3* in the team!! Or... omg... there's such a potential!

Are you worried that boosted 4hor with this boost will break the game? Fine than make such boost applicable only to lower rarity characters or apply this boost mechanics in the same way as in Balance of power (making a character boosted equal to 4*), but seriously think about it, it might be great addendum to the game!

Comments

• You never described what the boost would do...

Make the character level 270? Or what?

I don't understand.
  • h4n1s
    onimus wrote:
    You never described what the boost would do...

Make the character level 270? Or what?

I don't understand.

I see.

Option A): work exactly as Powered up character (applied to 1 character of course) as you know it from PvP or PVE

Option B) (to avoid crazy scaled uber powered 4*): it should scale the character proportionally as if it was a 4* character (meaning max level cap 270) - similar scaling is applied in balance of power.
  • Not sure I understand.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the 1 day PvEs that will start soon. So you won't have to think too much icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • h4n1s
    arktos1971 wrote:
    Not sure I understand.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the 1 day PvEs that will start soon. So you won't have to think too much icon_e_biggrin.gif

I am not worried, I enter this season as casual player icon_e_biggrin.gif so I don't care if I miss a cover or two and that gives me lots of time for thinking of **** icon_e_smile.gif
  • So I'm guessing what you mean is a 2nd type of iso, eg say Yellow-Iso which temporarily boosts one or more of your heroes levels for the span of one battle?

=> P2W! P2W!
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    h4n1s wrote:
    Suddenly even low tier characters will get their chance to stand against those monsters.
    No, no, no

It's bad enough there's no effective defense against equivalent teams. I don't need inferior teams mining me for points too.
  • h4n1s
    daibar wrote:
    => P2W! P2W!

Come on... considering the variety of boosts available (out of which majority is obsolete), this wouldn't make much difference in P2W approach this game has anyway. It will give you boost, no discussion, but at least this one will bring a new element enabling you to maximize the diversity of your roster when approaching PvP play. Example: Now Juggernaut is nearly useless in PvP, but with boost of this kind it will be worth opponent for any existing 4* - plus with this boost you can have a B-team ready for late PVP fights, when you're out of Health packs.

See the old fashioned boost were boring. +40% damage, + 3AP in each color.... thats not fun. But temporarily turning you favourite 1* Iron Man to tough guy, without need to wait for balance of power PvP sounds much more fun to me icon_e_smile.gif
    simonsez wrote:
    It's bad enough there's no effective defense against equivalent teams. I don't need inferior teams mining me for points too.

I don't have any strong argument for this, it will happen if this gets implemented... I can just say that to retaliate such team will be much much easier as defensive teams don't use boosts icon_e_wink.gif
  • I can't say I didn't think that this idea wouldn't be neat when it came up before.

However, D3's mitigated this by starting to temporarily boost characters per event.
    Further, it lessens the need for people to move up from 1* to 2* to 3* to 4*. D3 wants to sell characters and their covers. Cover packs are still probably their #1 source of income. That won't happen as much if someone's using their Juggernaut+OBW for all battles.

The problem with this boost is it makes it too obviously pay 2 win. It's just too powerful.
  • h4n1s wrote:
    simonsez wrote:

I don't have any strong argument for this, it will happen if this gets implemented... I can just say that to retaliate such team will be much much easier as defensive teams don't use boosts icon_e_wink.gif
    Problem is people would only use these boosts to take down 40 or 50 point teams.

And retals for those attacks are worth approximately ****.

I'm with Simon. I am sick of seeing my Xforce lose to sub 3-4 star teams. If 2 star teams started taking my points, I'd be pretty annoyed.
  • h4n1s
    daibar wrote:
    I can't say I didn't think that this idea wouldn't be neat when it came up before.

However, D3's mitigated this by starting to temporarily boost characters per event.
    Further, it lessens the need for people to move up from 1* to 2* to 3* to 4*. D3 wants to sell characters and their covers. Cover packs are still probably their #1 source of income. That won't happen as much if someone's using their Juggernaut+OBW for all battles.

The problem with this boost is it makes it too obviously pay 2 win. It's just too powerful.

On purpose it costs in my suggestion 500 ISO. For F2P players it is more likely going to end up as use it when it stockpiles from rewards, or spend those 500 ISO if it is worth to help you hit progression reward... for P2W players it makes no difference... it just adds the fun element. I don't think long term will people rather use this kind of boost instead of transitioning, still boosts are not used on defense.
  • h4n1s
    onimus wrote:
    I am sick of seeing my Xforce lose to sub 3-4 star teams. If 2 star teams started taking my points, I'd be pretty annoyed.

there's the other side of the coin which is made by 80-90% of player base who doesn't have 4* max team, those are being annoyed anytime they're reaching the point where they can't compete due to to wall of 270s and the fact that disregarding the rarity we still have big amount of unbalanced characters in the game.

But I feel you, if I were in your shoes, I might not like the idea of getting my super team of X-THOR kicked in balls by Venom either icon_e_wink.gif

Frankly, I don't think this will get implemented anyway, there's not much space for out of the box thinking....
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's a cool idea that would be useful in PVP to hit a progression reward, that extra little push.

Of course it would only go over better if they fixed PVP and people losing more points than they gain. I still think that if you are defeated you shouldn't lose 100% of the points the fight was worth, since the AI was controlling your team. I think a person should have a cap on how many points they can lose per battle lost by AI, like 15. The rest of the points that the matching algorithm decides your match was worth should come from the game, just like it does with seed teams.

Your deemed worth 35 points, someone beats you, you lose 15, MPQ forks over the other 20. This might resolve many issues that make people feel like they need to shield hop and pour HP into PVP shields. I don't know, just brainstorming here like you.
  • I think this would be a cool idea, *IF* it comes with a downside.

Sure pay some iso to boost your patch for a match (or make it something that could last for 3 matches before dissipating), but then Patch becomes burned out for 8-12 hours and is unusable. Makes it something to use sparingly but can still be an effective tool.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think this would be a cool idea, *IF* it comes with a downside.

Sure pay some iso to boost your patch for a match (or make it something that could last for 3 matches before dissipating), but then Patch becomes burned out for 8-12 hours and is unusable. Makes it something to use sparingly but can still be an effective tool.
    That sounds reasonable. Maybe you can only power up 1 of the 3 on the team at one time, or its good for x amount of turns.
  • this is a good idea I think but it has to be done right so it won't be overpowering and take away from the game. When the game boosts a charecter, it's usually 20 levels. I suggest making like a iso-shard boost that you attach to one charecter somehow and they get 5 extra levels. Plus you can stack up to five like the other boosts so at most it's 25 levels. I think you should only be allowed to do one charecter. They would also make money off of refills.
  • I think this would be a cool idea, *IF* it comes with a downside.

i like it maybe make it like a featured character on an event plus 80 levels and have a cool down associated with it. i was thinking 3hours but that might be too quick and everyone with be burning out their characters or it can be when the character recovers. it would be ideal for that last push in an event