An Idea to fix both Spider-Mans

Neither Spider-Man is well-regarded; Bag-Man is widely considered one of the worst, if not the worst, character in the game, while 3* Spidey is a weak 3* that, even boosted, is really just a slightly upgraded Bullseye. An idea to rework the whole system:

1) Make essentially a new 1* - Spider-Man (Bag-Man). Transpose the existing Bag-Man's powers onto this one. Existing Bag-Mans would not be converted to 1*s; instead, this would be a wholly new character people could collect (or not collect) depending on their choice.

2) Convert all Bag-Mans to Spider-Man (Classic). This would be a change in the powerset of the 2* Spider-Man from the Bag-Man powerset to the 3* powerset (which could probably be slightly tweaked as well). Whereas 3* Spider-Man is a weak 3*, his powers, even scaled down a bit, would make him a pretty good 2*. Existing Bag-Mans would be converted to this character

3) Make a new powerset for the 3* (this is where the actual development would have to take place). The most obvious would be Spider-Man (Symbiote or Black Suit). The new powers could more-or-less keep his blue, but revamp the other two, maybe to black and red, reflecting a more offensive and less defensive approach to Spider-Man during that phase, when the suit was making him more aggressive. Existing 3* Spider-Mans would be converted to this character.

The end result would be Bag-Man a bit more appropriately positioned, and Spider-Man, as probably Marvel's most popular character, would have a frequently used 2* that fans could use, and then a potentially good 3*.

Comments

• I agree with this completely. I think it would be a good idea and fix some issues with little work (aside from rebalancing) on the devs part to fix, considering that the Prologue chapters that award Bagman already use 3* Spidey as the loaner anyway, they could just change the awards for these nodes to the new Spidey.
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    They have already tested the game mechanics of these powers so this seems like a great idea.

1* - Bag-Man's powers are non-scaling, so the only debate is if they could be considered "too powerful" for a 1*... but I kind of giggle as I say that - so I think we are good. Bag-Man is a great 1* idea, since you have less regret dumping a 1*.
    2* - Spider-Man's powers probably aren't too powerful if they were transplanted onto a 2*. They scale, but they aren't offensive powers, and there are reasonable analogs for all of them in the 2* space right now. The double-nerf likely made sure of the fact that his powers can be dropped onto a 2* instead. I think having 'classic' spider-man in the 2* space is a *GREAT* idea for the overall game health, since you are allowing players to have a fan-favorite character in the play tier where they are likely going to be spending quite a bit of time.
    3* - A symbiote ("Secret Wars" maybe?) Spider-Man in the 3* space would be *AWESOME*.

Love it! Can it be in the R70 release, please?
  • There are plenty of options for other 3* and even 4* Spideys that this should be a no brainer move on the devs part.

Iron Spider
    Black Suit Spiderman
    Cosmic Spiderman
    Spiderman 2099 (Would love to see this one but I doubt it will ever happen)

Heck, I'd love to see a 3* Agent Venom while we're at it...
  • They said lots of 4*'s, so most likely new Spidey will be 4* if there is ever a new one. I prefer Carnage and other Spidey villains first.

3* Spidey already has two defensive powers in stun and defensive tiles. It would be nice to change yellow to an offensive ability. Nothing worse that Spidey is all that is left.

I know of know other defense only character besides Falcon, but his Yellow ability helps on offense.
  • Bagman is useful against high level goons (and modern Hawkeye) with count down tiles, so he ain't that bad. Bagman would've made a fabulous 1* character.

Spidey 3* is pretty useless. I didn't join the game early enough to use him before he was nerfed. Fortunately I never invested in him.

It would be nice for the devs to fix up existing characters before releasing new ones, though I understand the ROI on rebalancing these characters is not as high as releasing a new character.
  • zeeke
    zeeke Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    I'd love to see a black suit Spidy. My hero growing up.